E-M5 Digital Teleconverter...better than cropping a normal JPEG?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hello all,

I'm going to China this weekend and as a last minute addition, we've decided to try and see some pandas. I didn't have enough time to buy a long lens, so I'm scrambling to find alternatives...enter the OM-D's digital teleconverter.

Should I use it? I've been doing some shots with it on/off around my house and it looks like as long as I keep the shutter speeds up, I can get acceptable pictures out of it.

Basically my big question is...is the digital teleconverter better than simply cropping a regular JPEG? (If it is...then that's a no-brainer. If it's not...then is it still worth using it so I'll have the full 16MP files?)

Thanks a lot!
    T

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    From what I've heard, it's just the same a cropping the jpeg. Hence, I never use it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks...I'm reading conflicting reports online...some swear by it, others aren't impressed.

I'm thinking if the quality is the same...then I'd rather have the 16MP file than the cropped!

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I shoot DTC in RAW + JPG. This actually gives you two 16MP files because the JPG is re-interpolated to the max 4608x3456 if you picked max JPG, Meanwhile, the RAW is uncropped. I think it's the same as cropping, except cropping in most tools does not reinterpolate. The cropped image is 4MP. Also, you may not be able to get the same colors as the Olympus JPG engine if your PP skills are lacking.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The quality of the cropped image is actually pretty good for websites or for prints up to 8x10. It's after all an interpolation of a 4MP cropped image into a full 16MP file. When you shoot DTC, you get a JPG interpolated rendition as well as the full 16MP RAW file. Colors are the same between JPEG and RAW if you use OV3 (Olympus Viewer 3) to read the RAW. Or you can do it manually by cropping the image of the RAW file to suit you and then use a program called "Imagener" or "Photo Resize" to scale up for printing big without major loss of detail. In fact, many pros who shoot with the Olympus E-1 today (a 5MP camera) use "Imagener" to scale up and are doing just as fine as people with a higher megapixel camera. So you have 2 choices; either use DTC and be happy with JPEG as long as you nail the exposure and white balance (most people DON'T) or use RAW, do some PP and then crop. Then scale up using an interpolation program like Imagener.

Those who produce DTC JPEGs beautifully do so because they get the exposure and white balance bang on which means taking it off auto, because you have such a narrow latitude in doing PP with JPEG that anything major will cause the JPEG file to loose more information or even go into posterization.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I recommend it if saving both JPEG & raw. It also gets you the framing you want at the time but also there is still the full sized RAW file to use & maybe crop differently afterwards (& upscale if desired).

Here is a comparison to using the EC14 & the DTC. https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=68894

• Like Like x 1
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for all the input. I just did a test (will try to post the results tonight, if not, then when I'm back from China) and it looks like DTC @ 100% looks better than normal JPEG @ 200%. It's not a huge difference and I'm shooting in ideal conditions (outside, bright sunshine...I've read that at higher ISOs the DTC is less impressive), but it's noticeable. Actually, I was quite surprised at how much detail there is in the photo...it's not as good as having a true tele, but considering it's this or nothing, I'm happy with it. :)

8. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I am with Ross on this one, shoot Raw+Jpeg, and have both. Like you I did some testing, and did not notice that much difference. Often I was in doubt whether it mattered at all. But it is nice to have the cropped view with the TC in the view finder while shooting.
    I have set the TC to one of the buttons because I use it often. I am a prime shooter, and the TC is also a fast way to check whether a longer lens would be better.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, yeah, I forgot to mention that I shoot EVERYTHING I think I may at one point print in RAW + JPEG. I guess if it's not going to make it past a quick upload somewhere, the DTC JPEG will do just fine, and if I do, then I'll always have the RAW.

I'll post the samples ASAP! :)

10. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I use the DTC, jpeg photos are good. Focus, framing and exposure are usually better than cropping later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Perfect! Thank you. :)

Speaking of exposure...when you have the DTC turned on, does it only meter in the area you're looking at and ignores the rest?

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
  13. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I know for moon or other high contrast shots with the spot meter it sees more of the enlarged moon/subject. IE: It's the same size circle in the EM5 frame, so only subject gets larger.