E-M5 Dial Direction

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pecos, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'm enjoying the E-M5 so far, and have just about got it configured (I think) the way I want it. I have one question I still need answered.

I have the main/rear dial configured to control aperture in both Aperture and Program modes. I addition, it is set so that turning it to the left (clockwise, from top) chooses a larger aperture. However, I cannot find a way in Program mode so that it behaves in the same way - i.e., turning it to the left in Program mode always selects a smaller aperture.

I don't use Program mode much, but when I do I invariably turn the aperture dial the wrong way.

Any help out there?
  2. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

This is my main issue with the E-M5 and I'm in a state of constant confusion about the direction of the "big" dial up to a point that I cannot remember which direction is for what unless I'm holding the camera in my hands and I've turned it up and down. But what I do remember is that you can't change the direction of that dial. To me for aperture, "righty tighty, lefty loosey" is natural, as you describe - left = open up, right = close down. In my case I use that dial for exposure correction - I want left to be darker (-), and right to be lighter (+), just like with an analog dial. Looks like this can't be changed, the big dial behaves the way it wants, and not always consistently. When in aperture or shutter priority I use the shutter button dial for shutter or aperture, and its direction fortunately can be adjusted.

As I said this keeps me confused so the actual behaviour of the camera may in fact be totally different than the one I described, as funny as it sounds.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    If you don't mind using the front dial for aperture in P mode, you can have it open up (decrease the f/stop) counterclockwise.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, you can't reprogram the rear dial direction. Very annoying because for EV compensation it goes exactly the opposite of the direction I would expect.
  4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I am away from my camera now, but as I recall I did program the rear dial to change dir in Aperture mode but couldn't in P mode.
    So what I did is set the front dial for exp comp on A mode and for flash exp comp in P. but the rear dial is still backward to me in P. guess I could just change my thinking ... no, that's not right.