1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-M5 Dial Direction

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pecos, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'm enjoying the E-M5 so far, and have just about got it configured (I think) the way I want it. I have one question I still need answered.

I have the main/rear dial configured to control aperture in both Aperture and Program modes. I addition, it is set so that turning it to the left (clockwise, from top) chooses a larger aperture. However, I cannot find a way in Program mode so that it behaves in the same way - i.e., turning it to the left in Program mode always selects a smaller aperture.

I don't use Program mode much, but when I do I invariably turn the aperture dial the wrong way.

Any help out there?

2. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM Subscribing Member

This is my main issue with the E-M5 and I'm in a state of constant confusion about the direction of the "big" dial up to a point that I cannot remember which direction is for what unless I'm holding the camera in my hands and I've turned it up and down. But what I do remember is that you can't change the direction of that dial. To me for aperture, "righty tighty, lefty loosey" is natural, as you describe - left = open up, right = close down. In my case I use that dial for exposure correction - I want left to be darker (-), and right to be lighter (+), just like with an analog dial. Looks like this can't be changed, the big dial behaves the way it wants, and not always consistently. When in aperture or shutter priority I use the shutter button dial for shutter or aperture, and its direction fortunately can be adjusted.

As I said this keeps me confused so the actual behaviour of the camera may in fact be totally different than the one I described, as funny as it sounds.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you don't mind using the front dial for aperture in P mode, you can have it open up (decrease the f/stop) counterclockwise.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, you can't reprogram the rear dial direction. Very annoying because for EV compensation it goes exactly the opposite of the direction I would expect.

4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I am away from my camera now, but as I recall I did program the rear dial to change dir in Aperture mode but couldn't in P mode.
    So what I did is set the front dial for exp comp on A mode and for flash exp comp in P. but the rear dial is still backward to me in P. guess I could just change my thinking ... no, that's not right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.