1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5, Custom Menu C, setting 'Half Way Rls With IS'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 14, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Custom Menu C, setting 'Half Way Rls With IS' to 'On' means that the preview will be stabilized when you half-press the shutter button.

Question.
    If the shutter button is half-pressed and held but not fully-pressed untill a couple of seconds later is the IS locked at half-press or is it active, so-to-speak, when the shutter is fully-pressed to take the shot.

Problem getting me head around this :confused:

2. py6km

py6km Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    I think it will be active, so that any changes in movement would be accommodated - it's only likely to 'lock' as such when the image is captured I would guess

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think that setting is only for the EVF specific IBIS, which is separate from the shooting IBIS. I've found that even when its invoked with a half press, I can still do things like manual focus and see the changes in the view, so I don't think it affects the actual exposure IS at all. That's my understanding anyway - could be wrong...

-Ray

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    It's the same IS system (sensor moving). The custom option is there mainly for manual focusing with magnified view on. When on the IBIS will be active from half press (while holding it down) all the way to end of exposure.

Downside.. Battery life, and while I haven't seen olympus state this, other systems that allow this usually state that the IS system isn't as effective as when it only comes on at exposure. If you think about it if the IS system is on prior to actual exposure it could already be at one of its extremes and if you moved the camera any more it that direction during full press it would not be able ti compensate.

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Well that seems to make sense.