E-M5 color red problem? defective? Normal?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by alvinksu, May 5, 2013.

1. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    Hi, Ever since i had my E-m5, I noticed when i take photo of of color red, or if i have a major red color, the color red loses its detail. Is this normal? Or I have a defective EM5? or is there a setting that affects it? See the attached photo and help me figure it out.

Notice ELMO? But any other color around him is fine except him. Color red came out fine with my iPhone.

Attached Files:

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I presume you shot in JPEG mode? I think it is normal with the E-M5. It tends to oversaturate red color to the point where the red channel is clipped. You can try to desaturate it in post-processing, but I don't know how much detail you can recover from the JPEG. Post-processing to desaturate red would work better if you shoot in RAW.
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's not just the E-M5, the older PEN cameras have the same issue with blowing out the highlights in the Red channel too. Since it bridges across sensor types it probably has more to do with how they process the exposure meter data than anything else (i.e. there is no check for clipping per color channel). The only things you can really do when you're taking the picture is to spot meter on the red object, or generally underexpose a bit.
  4. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    Frustrating. I don't recall having same problem with my Canon. Also, this is now Sony's sensor. I thought it would have fix it? I have another photo of a red room, it's just came out wacky. It might be the white balance?
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    This happened to me on several Panasonic cameras also, it's not specific to any one brand of camera or sensor. It's just overexposing the red channel and blowing the red highlights essentially. You have to expose darker to compensate for it until the red channel stops clipping.

Here's a link to a previous discussion on this topic where I posted a couple relevant links:

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Its not just Olympus or Panasonic, many if not most cameras tend to have issues with clipping of the red channel. I've seen several posts in other forums (Fuji) recently asking the same question, mainly pertaining to red flowers, but the principle is still the same.

Edit - I suppose it would have helped if I would have read jloden's post above which basically says the same thing.