E-M5 bracketing...amazing.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 20, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Amazing, just one shutter actuation for all bracketing, no machine-gun noise, amazing.

2. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Care to explain how you set this up Dave?

3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Correction...Should have read.........Menu > Shooting Menu 2 > Bracketing > ISO BKT > you choose 3 frames 0.3/0.7/1.0 EV with just one press of the shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I think I must be missing something, set up as you describe the camera only takes one image when you press the shutter. Where am i going wrong?

5. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Yeah I miss Nikon's bracketing option that let me setup how many I wanted and then press the shutter once and it takes all the images I asked it to make, 3, 5 or whatever. If someone finds how to do this on the E-M5, let me know :)

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Yes Dave.....please share. I need to hold the shutter release down to complete the bracket.

And I still don't like menu diving to turn it on and off. I miss my old gf1 with a dedicated bracket toggle on top of the camera.

7. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    You can set bracketing to a myset, and put it on one of your fn buttons. Afaik, you have to hold down the shutter until the bracket finishes for any bracketing with a physical change, like ae or iso. If it is a processing bracket, like wb or art, you can take just 1 shot.

Make sure to set the faster burst mode to your bracketing myset if it's not what you normally shoot with, it takes the whole 7-shot bracket in less than a second.

Hth

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What all those above said. Isn't there some way to assign bracketing to a Fn or MySet, though?

9. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Oop's, sorry.
    Should have read.........Menu > Shooting Menu 2 > Bracketing > ISO BKT > you choose 3 frames 0.3/0.7/1.0 EV with just one press of the shutter.

Not..........Menu > Shooting Menu 2 > Bracketing > AE BKT > you choose

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You can save your bracketing preference as a MySet which you can then assign to a Fn button. Unfortuantely, you need to hold the Fn button down WHILE holding down the shutter release. It's awkward enough that to me it's not worth it. I wish the Fn button could just toggle between single shot and whatever bracket mode you have chosen. Why you can't do it that way is a F'n mystery to me :wink:

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Hold the Fn??? How odd ...

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I know....tell me about it. It sucks! I do a lot of exposure bracketing so the My Set for me was going to be perfect. Have a My Set for my regular shooting parameters and a second one for high speed exposure bracketing for simple handheld HDR.
    I set it up and kept hitting the Fn button to switch it over and nothing happened. Then I read that you needed to HOLD DOWN the Fn button while holding down the shutter release. It's so awkward I don't even bother.....give it a try!

-------

Just to be totally clear. The bracketing function works well. I'm only complaining about how they integrated the functionality of the MySet function.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Time to petition Oly to change this with a firmware update, I wager. The Fn1 (or Fn2 for that matter) button is completely impossible to hold down while doing anything else, IMO. Maybe one of the back panel buttons you can easily hold with your thumb, but even so, it's not the kind of control mechanism that works well. Toggle = better.