1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5: beware of EVF frame rate = High

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by McDark, Jul 13, 2012.

1. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    I have noticed some strange behavior then setting Frame rate to High in Gears-> Built-in EVF menu (FW version 1.1):

1. It does affect not only EVF but also LCD, Live View and even Playback and menu screen. It is noticeble because of...
    2. ...it shows noticeble vertical banding on LCD (unsure about banding in EVF itself, I did not see it, maybe someone could). Not visible right after turning this option on, only after using EVF, just go to menu and it is here. Best noticable on portraits playback though.
    3. It affects metering :eek:, in A and P modes shutter does not go below 1/8 :confused: thus underexposing some shots.
    4. Unsure about horisontal banding in the shots themself, did not managed to force it yet (I did this before though) but I have feeling it is also somehow linked to it.

Yes I know manual says something about picture flaws in this mode and I have nothing against LV frame rate rising along, but banding in playback is worse, there is no sense to rise frame rate here. And this shutter speed thing is really a bug. So I'd better be keeping this option off

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I'm very surprised that no one has chipped in with a reply.

Indicates to me that we are all a bit green on the matter....including me.

I was interested in peoples comments.

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I had the EVF rate set to high and never noticed any of these issues with firmware v.1.1. I spent some time this morning (camera was updated to v.1.2) and couldn't replicate any of these effects at all on my OM-D. Not sure what's going on with McDark's camera or settings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Just updated to 1.2, it's all the same. While I can think of banding may be my cam's LCD issue this shutter speed thing driving me crazy. Sure, I can set any speed in S mode but... Looks like I need to perform full reset.

Update:

Performed reset, nothing changes. But max shutters speed in A mode lowered to 1/4... just because auto ISO range changed after reset to 1600 from 3200 I've set :confused:

:dash2: Have no more ideas, gotta live with it. I mean without.

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm puzzled about how we could have such different results. When weird things like this happen, I always wonder about some kind of subtle bug caused by apparently unrelated menu settings. However, if you did a reset (that restored all the original factory defaults), even that wouldn't explain the situation.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    To get the most out of "RESET", you most do "FULL RESET"

7. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I can not reproduce this at all.

The metering system does the same thing with the EVF on normal as well. The difference is that the lower limit is 2 stops higher with the EVF on high so you are more likely to run up against it.

Try this test.... Put a lens on the camera with the lens cap on. Set the camera to A mode, ISO to 800, aperture to f/5.6, and and the EVF to normal. It should show a shutter speed of 20 seconds (but it really should be using 60 second in pitch black!). Now change the aperture and watch the shutter speed change. Change the ISO, same thing. Return ISO and aperture to 800 and f/5.6 so the shutter speed is 20 seconds again. Now switch the EVF refresh rate to high and go back. The shutter speed will be 5 seconds, or two stops faster. This will happen consistently, always 2 stops difference between normal and high. Both the base limitation, and the change in the limitation with EVF on high, are just part of this camera system. It is far from the only camera to have strange metering limits like this to. For instance, the Fuji X10 has similar limitations.

I have not been able to reproduce this either.

I don't see banding in playback, and the shutter speed thing is not a bug. It is a basic inherent limitation of the camera as described above.

• Like Like x 1
  8. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Sammyboy, indeed.

Arentol, thanks for idea. My numbers are 30" and 8" respectively with 25/1.4 set to 5.6. For fully open it is 2" and 1/2. I thought it could somehow be related to sensor overheating prevention to keep noise low but it does not explain why it is related to aperture.

The banding is barely noticable at first glance (I'll try to show this later), I've noticed it first when sliding pictures in playback. It's more like looking through thin fabric or window net, picture brightnes goes slightly uneven.

9. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Did some more checking.... In Normal EVF mode the E-M5 will not go below -2.3 EV (as per the chart here) when using A, S, and P mode. In High EVF it changes to not going below -0.3 EV in those modes.

Also in iAUTO mode it forces the EVF to Normal and has the same -2.3 EV limit.