E-M5 behaving badly

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MikeB, Jul 22, 2012.

1. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    My OM-D E-M5 has been behaving badly since last weekend, and I think I'm going to have to figure out how to send it in for service. It's been brilliant for months, but suddenly it's acting up.

Last weekend 2 things happened, and I suspect one or the other has caused my problems: I upgraded to the 1.2 firmware on Saturday, and I took the camera canoeing and got into several heavy rains on Sunday. The camera didn't go into the river, but it was pretty drenched from above.

I've noticed 3 main symptoms since then: I put in a SD card and sometimes get either a card error or locked card message, the camera lost track of the current date/time a couple times during the week, and today I drained the battery completely with only 90 pictures taken. Since I'd charged the battery last night, either the battery is suddenly much weaker or the camera is drawing power when it shouldn't be.

Has anyone else noticed similar problems after the 1.2 firmware update? If not, I'll speculate that the water seals just didn't handle the rain as well as they should have.

Anyone else?

2. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

Mine sometimes gets card errors. I'm still on firmware 1.1, but a few times I've found that if I put the card it and turn the camera on and jump into the menu to reformat it too quickly, I get card errors. Usually I just have to shut the camera off, pop the card out, and do it all again a bit slower, then it's fine.

What lens did you use on your trip? If it was the 12-60, which has the weather sealing, then it should have held up okay - I saw somewhere online where a photographer put the pair through a weather torture-test and it held up just fine.

If you are concerned about water inside somewhere, you could always put the whole kit in a ziplock bag filled with dry rice or a day or so - that will help pull out any moisture that might have gotten in.

3. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, it was the kit 12-50 lens, I got the set knowing I'd be caught in the rain eventually.

I was a little worried about water during the week, and left the SD card out and the door open, and didn't get a card error this morning when setting things up so I thought perhaps it had dried out. But the battery drain indicates I still have problems.

I may go buy some rice and see if that makes a difference, it's better than being without the camera for some unknown number of weeks.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Do the rice trick. It's very effective. If it then continues to misbehave, send it in.

5. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I used to repair cell phones for a living... And I've seen a lot of moisture damage. I would advise anyone who thinks their device has gotten wet on the inside to immediately turn off the device and take the battery out! if the circuitry has water touching it, you risk shorting things and causing all kinds of nasty corrosion problems.

Put it in a bag with dry rice, and place it in a sunny window or a warm place for a few days.

the more you turn it on and play with it while it could potentially be wet inside the more you risk permanently damaging the device.

I can't tell you how many times people would dunk their phones in water and then immediately leave it on the charger over night thinking that they were somehow nursing it back to health by running electricity through the waterlogged device.

Water is conductive!

• Like Like x 1
  6. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Wouldn't calcium chloride crystals be better at absorbing moisture? Available at your local supermarket. But I've actually collected all the moisture absorbers packets found in medicine bottles, put them in an airtight bag with a car remote that got left under the rain. Unfortunately the circuits were already fried. Ryanlogic's advice is a good one.

I hope this isn't the OP's problem though. A firmware fix is more acceptable than physical damage.

7. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Isn't calcium chloride a type of salt? And doesn't salt help water conduct electricity even better? Seems to me you'd be exasperating the problem.

8. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I don't quite understand what it actually called but isn't that thing called silica gel?

Silica gel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Rice works better than salt, that's why people in humid places put some rice in the salt shaker. Silica gel would be better, but rice is a lot easier to come by. Just make sure you don't get rice dust in your lens or sensor. Good luck!

10. VisualFeast

VisualFeast Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    GSP
    I bought a bulk pack of new silica gel off eBay (quite a bargain) to try to revive a wet Sony camera. Didn't fix the camera, but boy was that silica gel delicious!

11. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I've always wondered about the 'do not eat' labels on those.

At least when my camera is done with the rice treatment, I still have a pound of rice I could cook up. :)

12. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Yes you are right. The calcium chloride crystals I was talking about though would be more effective at absorbing moisture I think because it's used in enclosed areas that have excess humidity in them.

Now, put this in a plastic bag together with you camera and what not. If that doesn't suck your camera dry I don't know what will :rofl:

Attached Files:

13. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I did the rice trick for a couple days, and I've still got an issue with the internal battery/capacitor. Taking out the battery for just a few seconds causes the camera to lose it's current clock settings, even after giving it a day to recharge. And if water did get in from the one day in heavy rain, then the weather seals aren't good, and I'll have more problems next time it rains.

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    You're not supposed to eat those packs? I too find silica gel delicious! :wink:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

15. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Honestly, the weather sealing could have been much better in my opinion. I was expecting to see better gaskets and tighter locking port covers and stuff.

I wasn't expecting it to be submersible, but it would have been nice to see a little more effort put into the sealing.

I have little faith that the rubber flap covering the USB port will do any good at all.

16. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed. And the battery door and SD card port both look rather vulnerable to me.