1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Battery Holder/Grip HLD-6 (Battery ?)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Babalu, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Babalu

Babalu New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Howdy all,

I have a E-M5 coming shortly (I hope) and am unclear on a few things regarding the battery grip. Listings for the product don't indicate weather a battery is supplied or not

* Does the grip come with a battery? If so what type?
    * If the grip does not come with a battery what type do i need to get? BLN-1?
    * Is the battery housed in the portrait piece?
    * If a battery isn't provided does it make any sense to use the "grip" only without battery?

If the grip does not come with a battery and I need to get a BLN-1, that puts the total grip w/battery cost to about $360 U.S..... that's a lot of cash (just a comment).

Thanks in advance for you help,

Bob

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No battery comes with the grip, you need to buy a BLN-1 and it's housed in the portrait part of the grip.... as for the last part of your question, that's the only way I'll use the grip anyway, without the portrait part being attached..... :smile:

If I ever feel the need to use the portrait portion of the grip (doubtful, as I hate them) I'll just wait until a third-party battery is available....

3. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The battery grip actually comes in two parts: First with the horizontal grip, which is removeable; and second with the vertical grip, which also houses the batteries.

I'm not sure if I completely understand this part. You mean attaching the two parts without the batteries? The camera will not work since it is without any batteries; you have to remove the battery from the camera itself and put it in the grip, with optionally a second battery. At least that is how battery grips usually work.

Or do you mean just using the first part of the grip, which is just the horizontal grip? You sure can do this, and frankly that's really the only way I'll use it, since attaching the 2nd part (with the battery compartment) will make the camera unnecessarily big (for me anyway). This is also the reason why I'll never buy it, because it is too expensive for just that purpose. I'm actually just going to wait for 3rd party companies to manufacture a cheaper horizontal grip.

4. plummerl

plummerl New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    You can use both grips without batteries in the grip (just the one in the camera). Until I get my second battery (you can have two installed), this is how I will be using it.

5. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Yeah looking at some pictures of the grip it looks that way.

6. Babalu

Babalu New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks for the explanations so far. So I guess if I get the grip I'll have to get the battery (BLN-1) also.

Bob

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It sure is. Hopefully there should be third party BLN-1 compatible batteries available in not too long, which will help a bit with the cost. But grips are rarely inexpensive...

DH

8. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I got my grip two weeks ago. I got very excited when Olympus emailed me and said there was a package on it's way to me. A little disappointed when I saw it was the grip and not the camera...

I then ordered the BLN-1 battery. It will be great to not have to change batteries mid shoot any more.

I'm waiting patiently for the OM-5 as it's precisely what I need for my work. I shoot with studio strobes and the tilting screen and higher resolution than the Pens has me ready to rock with the OM-5.

Well, Oly says I'll get it this month, so I'll just stay calm and continue to shoot with the EPL-3 and the Panasonic/Leica 25 1.4, but I'm really anxious to shoot this lens on the new body.

9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Too Big and Heavy.. If I do that.. I will go back to Canon Mark III .. LOL they should call the EM-5 with battery Grip the Mega 4/3 camera instead of Mico 4/3 camera..

10. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    I've used the grip for a few days now- here's some info.

This isn't correct in this case, but I understand why you thought it was. Most battery grips do contain multiple batteries and make it so the camera itself has none, usually because the grip is attached to the camera by a plunger that fits into the battery housing of the camera's handle. This is how the battery grip works on my 5DmkII, for example. (An aside: a big difference between the grip for the 5D's and this one for the E-M5- the Canon is plastic and the Oly seems to be made of the same or similar material as the camera, magnesium perhaps. Much more solid. P.S.- I have the Canon one- it is awful.)

However, the E-M5 battery grip is far more clever. Because the camera is so much smaller than (probably) every other camera that has ever had a separate battery grip designed for it, there isn't actually room in the portrait grip for two full sized batteries. So, in some inspired engineering, Olympus made it so the grip elements attach completely externally to the camera, using only the tripod screw mounts to hold all three pieces together. This allows the use of one battery inside the camera and one inside the portrait grip. This also allows the grip to come apart, so you can have the option of just attaching the landscape grip only.

A few notes about the HLD-6 grip. I did not anticipate using the portrait grip often, just the added landscape part. However, in the two days I've had it I have found the full two piece grip to be incredibly useful, and I doubt I'll ever take it off. The camera is small and a bit fumbly by itself- the grips add a lot of traction and ergonomic comfort. They are rubberized and just tacky enough to instill confidence that I won't drop it.

Also, the grip is solid as a rock, which I did not expect at all. When you consider it is just two screws that hold all three elements (E-M5 & the two parts of the grip) together, it is amazing that there isn't even any creakiness to the assembly. The design tolerances are extremely tight.

And last- you can use one battery by itself with the grip (I just have the one so far, although I will get another soon). It does not need to be installed in the camera. As long as the grip is attached, you can use the grip's battery compartment alone to power the camera. This is useful because in order to remove or insert a battery in the camera, you have to take off the grip to access that compartment, which is a pain. However, the grip's battery compartment is easy to get to when it is still attached to the camera.

For the record- I normally hate accessory battery grips, but this one for the E-M5 is amazing & I'll probably never take it off. Hope this info helps!

• Like Like x 1
  11. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    This is a funny joke! But, let me put this meme to rest right now with these two terrible photos-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What these pics do not convey is the fact the Canon with grip weighs quite a bit more than the E-M5 with grip. Not sure exactly how much more, but it is obvious when picking both up.

12. plummerl

plummerl New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    I'm assuming you're joking?? I just weighed my camera/grip:

EM-5/w 12-50mm: 1#7oz (660g)
    Grip: 7.75oz (225g)

Hardly Heavy, very definitely not Big.

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'll be waiting for 3rd party batteries as well, but will definitely pick up the grip sooner than later!