E-M5 Backlit Sensor?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rkelac, Jul 24, 2012.

1. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    In this very positive review, the author mentions that the E-M5 is a Sony backlit sensor and that it improves low light sensitivity. I haven't seen that this was a backlit sensor before. I thought backlit sensors were only used in small sensor cameras. Has anyone seen an announcement or more detail on this?

Pro Review: Is the Olympus OM-D the perfect digital camera? - Imaging Resource

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, I don't think so. I believe even Sony only uses the backlit sensors in P&S size units. And no one else has reported this.

But hey, if it's on the web it must be true, right?

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I think the writer is confused. They also talk about a built-in motor drive. Right.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    There are a few (albeit minor) mistakes in this review. I'm assuming the "pro review" designation means pro photographer and not pro reviewer?

Also...am I the only one that thinks "ugh...another em5 review"? It's all been said. I guess the more reviews the better, but I at least expect those (especially later) reviews to at least be accurate.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yeah, it's done by Scott Bourne who is a fairly well known personality in the online photo world I think. He does a lot of bird photography. I don't particularly follow him as he came off as a bit too fan boyish to me.