E-M5 Backlit Sensor?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rkelac, Jul 24, 2012.

1. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    In this very positive review, the author mentions that the E-M5 is a Sony backlit sensor and that it improves low light sensitivity. I haven't seen that this was a backlit sensor before. I thought backlit sensors were only used in small sensor cameras. Has anyone seen an announcement or more detail on this?

Pro Review: Is the Olympus OM-D the perfect digital camera? - Imaging Resource

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    No, I don't think so. I believe even Sony only uses the backlit sensors in P&S size units. And no one else has reported this.

But hey, if it's on the web it must be true, right?

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I think the writer is confused. They also talk about a built-in motor drive. Right.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    There are a few (albeit minor) mistakes in this review. I'm assuming the "pro review" designation means pro photographer and not pro reviewer?

Also...am I the only one that thinks "ugh...another em5 review"? It's all been said. I guess the more reviews the better, but I at least expect those (especially later) reviews to at least be accurate.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yeah, it's done by Scott Bourne who is a fairly well known personality in the online photo world I think. He does a lot of bird photography. I don't particularly follow him as he came off as a bit too fan boyish to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.