1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Autogradation and exposure?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've searched and not found an answer to this. Does setting gradation to auto actually change the exposure, or does it just change the tone curve applied to the jpeg? I usually shoot raw + medium format jpegs. I only use the jpegs for very causal kinds of things but was wondering if this has any effect on the raw files.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It drops exposure by 1/3 stop. Not a big change, but it can make shadows a little noisier in the RAW file.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks. I use the jpegs very casually. Pop them onto a tablet for better viewing. Send a photo or two to family or friends. For that I mostly kind of like auto gradation on the E-M5 but I did think the raw files looked a bit under exposed.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It does that too, but only for the JPEGs. Basically, it adjusts the exposure to protect the highlights, and then uses a custom curve when generating the JPEGs to give lighter shadows and midtones. I think it's primarily useful when you're shooting in very contrasty situations.

DH

6. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the link. I was playing with it a little and mostly liked what it did to the out of camera jpegs. It was pretty awful on my e620. I process raw for anything I consider at all critical but I kind of like having jpegs on the side for quick on screen viewing.