1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 as backup to E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cyrax83, Jun 7, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi
    I have an em1 with 12-40, 25 1.8, 45 1.8, 60 2.8 macro and cheap 40-150 4-5.6
    One of the stores near me was having a runout sale on E-M5 mk1 black elite model for $350 AUD ($270 USD) brand new so I thought it'd be great to use so I don't have to change lenses as much. I bought one but now question whether shutter shock is going to be an issue. I'm only an amateur so photography is a hobby.
    Did I make a good decision? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can't comment on any other aspect but you shouldn't let shutter shock worry you IMO. So many have used the E-M5 and loved it, so maybe shutter shock is not that big a deal. Also, the E-M5 suffers less anyway as it has a slower 1/4000s shutter compared to the E-M1 and E-P5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Great thanks for the feedback. Should I be using the 1/8sec shutter delay on the E-M5? I've heard it does make the camera quite sluggish so unsure

4. wjiang

I use the 20ms electronic front curtain on the E-M1 by default but never bothered in my 2 years with the E-M5 except when on a tripod doing long exposures (set to 2s anti-shock). I tried 1/8s but it was unacceptable to me.

What lens would you have on the E-M5 versus the E-M1 anyway? I wouldn't put a telephoto for action on the E-M5, the E-M1 is way better for that, and most of the wider lenses aren't that susceptible to shutter shock (except apparently the 14-42 PZ).

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Shutter shock happens for a few lens/body/shutter speed combinations. I think I have this problem only with one lens out of 5 and anti shock zero was enough to fix it (on E-M10). I also use anti shock 0s by default.
    AFAIK E-M5 is not famous for shutter shocks problems, it may happen, but you may find a few people complaining about the E-M1 shutter shock too.

6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks for the info. If probably put on the 60mm macro or one of the primes (25/45) on the E-M5 I think, and leave the E-M1 for the 12-40

7. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Shutter shock is still real on the EM-5. I remember reading an extensive forum test on it, maybe here, maybe DPR. My conclusion was that there are two reasonable solutions:
    Turn antishock to 1/8th second and leave it on all the time. The delay is not huge if you aren't taking pictures of fast moving things, and its enough to mostly get rid of the shock.
    Turn antishock to 1/4 second and be prepared to turn it on/off in the SCP depending on circumstances. 1/4 should eliminate all the shock for any focal length.

I've found it is essential to have antishock enabled for slower shutters in quick succession, for example an HDR burst.

8. wjiang

Good point, perhaps I just never dared to go so slow on the shutter speed with a telephoto on the E-M5. Certainly for still macro, portrait, architecture or landscape type shots 1/8s is tolerable. For street, or wildlife, probably not. But then that's what the primary camera is for I guess ;-)

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had an E-P5 which suffered very badly from anti-shock. I did a lot of testing and nothing really fixed it until the EFCS firmware patch arrived - which worked perfectly. The problem is caused by the vibration from the first curtain opening - and the 1/8th sec anti-shock does nothing to avoid that since it only introduces a delay between pressing the shutter release and the first curtain opening. The required fix is a delay between the first curtain opening and the exposure starting; this is what the EFCS fix does - the exposure is started electronically about 20ms after the first curtain opens. So, IMHO, anti-shock settings on the E-M5 (which doesn't have the EFCS fix) are a waste of time.

Having said that, I've had an E-M5 for almost 3 years now and I only very occasionally get shutter shock. The worst offending combination for me is with the 75/1.8 at around 1/180th sec. However, it not consistent and is pretty subtle. I had given up on the E-P5 before the EFCS fix, but I never found the issues with the E-M5 to be serious enough to worry me.

Net, net - I run an E-M5 and an E-M1 and I don't see any noticeable difference in IQ between them. At the price the E-M5 is now, it's a very good deal.

10. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks that is great information. I've just done a test on the 45mm f/1.8 on the E-M5 at 1/100th of a second. Can't say I see any difference... I had to double check to make sure they were the correct different images (note the movement of this cloak in the bottom right corner)

100% Crops

0 Anti Shock

P6070014-0ant.

1/4 second Anti Shock

P6070015-1-4 anti.

1/8 second Anti Shock

P6070016-1-8anti.

edit: tested 1/160th - same experience. no issues between pics

11. I'm using an E-M1 and an E-M5 at the moment. The E-M5 is my sentimental favourite out of the two and I prefer it's small size, but while the basic hardware is still fresh it lacks some newer features that make it feel a bit dated alongside the E-M1.

I've seen shutter shock occasionally on the E-M5 but I never felt that it was a burning issue, not on my camera anyway.

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Shutter shock belongs in the same category as this video -

Ya, it may occur occasionally - but out of thousands of photos from the E-M5 and E-M1 I've taken I would be hard pressed to say any one of those photos might be from shutter shock.

13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I recently upgraded my EM5 mk1 to a mk2. Not because there was anything particularly wrong with the EM5, but the seemingly smaller updates I really liked.

With that being said, up until I sold it, I used it in conjunction to shoot a wedding along side my EM1.

I had the 40-150/2.8 PRO on the EM1 and the 12-40/2.8 on the EM5. I got the following shot with the EM5:

18562752472_59cb0a273f_b. The Kiss by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

Given that you do your part, the EM5 will do its part just fine. I think you made a fine decision, now go enjoy it! :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
  15. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Hmm. Looking at the cloak on the shoulder and the eyebrows, I see a clear improvement in the antishock versions.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Pas moi!!

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I had both an EM5 and a PL5. I bought the PL5 as a compact/backup body to the EM5. I dunno about the shutter shock issue, but when I got my EM1, I sold the PL5 and kept the EM5. I had intended to sell the EM5. The main reason was that it was too difficult for me to switch between the EM and the PEN controls and menus. The EM models are close enough (and have EVFs), so the switch is seamless. I was going to use the PL5 as a backup, but it didn't make sense even though the IQ was very good. So, I guess that means I agree that you made a good choice. :)

18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Why not EM10? IMO it's closer to EM1 and better by all parameters besides IBIS and weatherproofing.

19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think the OP already bought the EM5. He was just asking whether shutter shock would be a problem. I think the EM10 is really a great choice, but he got a great deal on an EM5.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is the occasional condition with shutter shock. Maybe one way around it is to up the ISO if needed to avoid the critical shutter speed.
    Here is a photo crop from the E-M5 & 12-50 lens at 50mm (f6.3) ISO 200 with a shutter speed of 1/160 sec. It is clearly shaky (could have been me).
    O4055073-cr-s.

Also (a crop) taken on the Stylus 1 ISO 100, f2.8 1/500 sec (equiv. 4/3's focal length 46mm)
    S4054195-cr-s.
    It is clear & sharp at that faster shutter speed. Beside that, the E-M5 has been a valuable camera & is now my back up to the E-M1.