1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5, Arghhhh....inadvertently keep changing settings.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    And it's most frustrating.

I went out at the WE and took about 50 shots, gets home to find they were all shot in SN and not LSF+RAW as usual.

How does it happen, I think all those 'little' buttons under the ball of my right thumb are to blame.

After a shot I look at the LCD to review it and there before me is the SCP, Lord only knows what setting I'm changing.

As much as I love my E-M5/grip I eagerly await the GH3, I never had these problems with my GH2.

On the plus side, my lenses, all 5 of them, are Panny.

• Like Like x 1
  2. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Because I the tendency to bump buttons mistakenly due to smaller size... I wonder if a lock switch would reduce so of the "argghhh" moments.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I understand and feel your pain. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Olympus and their latest cameras are quite good, especially with the new Sony sensor. But, generally, my Panasonic cameras seem to work better for me in terms of controls and ergonomics. Here's hoping for Oly's next generation.

4. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I took care of this behavior by shutting off the arrow buttons, which only affects their ability to change the focus point (I do this with the touch screen) AND I have the touch screen default touch to off. I have this on my main landscape MYSET so that I'm always starting from the same point.

I like to use the touch screen for focus points when mounted on a tripod so enable it by pressing the icon on the left when appropriate.

Since I've done this I've not had strange, unexpected settings changes.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I avoid the SCP like the plague ... don't even know how to turn it on actually (except by accident).

6. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I understand you. Miniaturization is fine, but one can exaggerate it. IMHO Olympus has exaggerated miniaturization and such accidents are the consequences.

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I understand (and sympathize) with all of this except the last comment. Not sure what it means. Have you had similar kinds of trouble with your Olympus lenses? I know I absolutely love my 9-18mm and 45mm, on both my Olympus and Panasonic bodies.

8. You need to set up a security camera (Panasonic brand, of course) to work out what you are doing toothed buttons.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah. I've found the simplest solution is to disable the touchscreen and the arrow keys. I've had no trouble with arbitrarily changed settings since I did that. I did manage to shoot a bunch of landscapes at ISO 800 because I didn't reset the ISO after doing indoor shots, but I can't really blame the camera for that!

DH