E-M5 Arca Swiss Plate w/ Strap Lug? No Grip

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cdo221, Dec 15, 2013.

1. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    I've been searching and searching for a good plate that I can leave on my E-M5. My requirements are:

1. Arca Swiss Compatible
    2. Flange to prevent twisting
    3. Extra strap lug at the bottom of the camera
    4. No Grip if possible

Haven't been able to find anything to fill these criteria.. specifically the strap lug one. I'll probably just end up going for the RRS plate but I really wish they included a strap lug on it. Are there any universal plates that will fit the E-M5 with a strap lug? I'm hesitant to buy a random universal plate from Kirk or similar as I'm worried it may block the tilting LCD in the back or if I mount it backwards, may block the lens mounting area.
  2. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Any progress? I'm interested in the same thing!
  3. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Check out Luma Labs (known for their Cinch sling strap) and Peak Design (known for Leash et al.). If I recall correctly, at least one of them has an Arca Swiss compatible plate with strap lugs available as a separate accessory item (i.e. not part of a strap solution).
  4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    I don't have one but the Peak Design "MIcroplate" may be suitable except for the 2. listed (it was designed specifically for mirrorless/small cameras). I have a few of their leash/cuff and they are very nice with the straps being very flexible so that don't take up lots of room in the cameras case.

Have a look (you can buy the plate on it's own or specify the plate as part of their "Capture Plate Pro").

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The peak micro plate works perfectly for the E-M5. Not so great on the Sony A7 (get in the way of the tilt screen)
  6. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

How confident are we that the 1/4" tripod thread is strong enough to act as a strap lug?
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Anything is possible, but this isn't something I worry about. This has been discussed at great length over on Nikonians, who generally have much heavier rigs than m43. There's no evidence that the camera thread will fail. There are cases (including mine) where user error (i.e. carelessness) led to the screw coming loose.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
  9. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was bumped. I came up with a few work-arounds but nothing that is 100% satisfactory.

1. J. Milich Grip - Arca Swiss compatible, has pin that can be used as a strap lug. But it's has a slim grip made of aluminum. I would've went for this one but I dislike the feel of aluminum in my hand especially in the cold:

2. RRS Plate with RRS Strap Boss Attachment - basically an Arca Swiss Clamp that you can string a strap through. I didn't go for this because it looked like it would add quite a bit of bulk beyond the RRS plate:

3. Arca Swiss Plate, string a strap through an existing hole on the plate. A bit hard to explain in words but basically think of the E-M5 RRS plate not being perfectly flush against the camera body. There's a bit of a gap in between the plate itself and E-M5 in certain areas, where you theoretically could wrap a strap around. The RRS plate didn't seem optimal for this because it seemed almost perfectly flush against the camera body. I ended up buying a Ciesta Leather half case for this:

It's nice because the arca swiss plate at the bottom isn't perfectly flush/contoured to the E-M5 (but it's close). The leather pieces of the case acts as a flange to prevent twisting loose. I'm at work right now but I'll take a few pictures when I get home to show how the strap is. Unfortunately, I didn't feel comfortable with the way the strap moved around on the Ciesta case so right now, I'm just using the regular E-M5 straps on each side with the Ciesta case as my Arca Swiss plate.

Long story short, there are a few ways to achieve what I was looking for but nothing I ended up sticking with. I'll post some pics of the Ciesta case tonight.

The tripod thread is most definitely strong enough to support the camera. The only issue is there's the chance of unscrewing/loosening of the mount, usually avoided by tightening it periodically or using a plate with a raised lip or flange contoured to the camera body. The flange will prevent unintentionally twisting off of the plate. Many heavier cameras have used this design for a while now, most notably the Black Rapid straps:

Here's a video of a guy pulling a truck using the camera tripod thread:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Here's a photo of my strap around the Arca Swiss plate... pardon the iPhone flash quality but it is just to show you what is possible with the Ciesta plate for a make-shift strap lug. I've since stopped using it in this position. I just use the regular camera lugs now.

11. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    The J. Milich Grip is absolutely amazing and I HIGHLY recommend it. I actually prefer it to the grip of my new E-M1.

Good luck with your search!

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
  13. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I am not sure if THIS suits your purposes, but you can also add the hand grip to it later. RRS makes great products.
  14. DaveG

DaveG Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    This. LOVE this. Been keeping an eye out for a nice half case in brown, but with the arca swiss plate built in, it's perfect.

How is it handling-wise? Seems to add about 1/2" to the bottom, better/worse ergonomics? What's the quality like, always hard to tell from a promo photo?
  15. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    I actually love it. It would say it moderately improved handling in 2 ways:

1. I really like how the leather feels, I do think the 'grippiness' has improved over the naked E-M5 body or maybe I just like how the material feels in the hand better.
    2. It is almost exactly 1/2" added to the bottom. I guess it depends on your hand size but for me, it's a welcome bit of real estate that my pinky can now rest on. Before adding this case, my pinky was a bit scrunched up.

Overall, I prefer the handling/ergonomics of the camera with the Ciesta case on it.

Quality is top-notch as far as I can tell. The Ciesta leather feels the same as the Gariz half case I have on my E-PL5, but beyond that, I'm not sure how to judge the quality of it (I don't know much about leather). The bottom plate is made of aluminum or another similar metal. It's nice and tough feeling and I used it on my tripod with no issues. I would say it feels like the material Really Right Stuff uses but less polished if that makes sense. That is, the general feel is the same, but the RRS plates I've used has a smoother feel when you run your fingers across it while the Ciesta is a bit rougher.

The only complaints I have about it is:
    1. There's no intended built in strap lug, but you can work around it as pictured in my previous post.
    2. The Arca Swiss dovetail is not built along the entire length of the bottom plate. You can see it in the promo pictures. It hasn't affected usability of securing it onto my tripod but I do wish the dovetail spanned the entire bottom plate like a RRS plate does.
    • Like Like x 1