E-m5 and p/l 25mm question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by desmoface, Dec 28, 2014.

1. desmoface

desmoface Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Hello - I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Can anyone comment on the rattlesnaking/noise issue with the e-m5 and the pl 25mm? Is this still an issue? Should I just play it safe and go with the oly 25mm? Is it worth the risk to get a bit faster lens? Thanks in advance.

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I have 2 EM5s at the moment (one is a for a friend), with both cameras there is an audible noise when using the 25/1.4 when changing from bright to dark scenes as the aperture blades change. Pretty sure this is true with my EM1 as well. Its something that is initially annoying and then you don't really notice it, its not loud enough to be particularly objectionable. I liken it to all the fuss about the "hum" of the EM5 when it was first released, yeah its there, but does it really affect anything? Subjective question of course, but for me the answer is no.

25/1.4 is a fantastic lens.

There may have been some solution, something about the flicker reduction setting? I don't know the details, maybe someone else can chime in.
  3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I had the PL 25 for a year or more, and noticed that noise only a couple of times. Pictures were great, but the lens was too large for me, and the hood makes the setup even larger.
  4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I noticed the rattlesnake a lot with the PL25 and my E-P3. It occurs a lot less frequently with my E-M5.

A lot gets said about the noise and it's easy to get the wrong idea about it. I don't think it's as loud as some people suggest, and it also tends to stop fairly quickly nearly always when I get it. I barely notice it when it occurs, and I don't find it objectionable. I've also heard it occasionally from a couple of Olympus lenses and didn't find it objectionable with them either.

Do what I did. Find a shop with the lens in stock, ask them to let you put it on your camera, then point the lens at a bright light fitting in the shop or take it outside and point it at the sky then back at the ground if they'll let you do that but you should be able to trigger it inside the shop by pointing the lens at a light fitting. See how you feel about it. I did that with the E-P3 I had when I bought mine. It made the noise, and I still bought the lens. The shop assistant was surprised because they hadn't heard about it, and I was surprised because I'd expected something that was a lot louder and which went on and on for minutes at a time.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It can happen with just about any lens, but the PL25 is the most audible.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can' remember if it's available on the E-M5, but on many other Oly cameras there's a setting called Anti-flicker (for reducing display flicker in fluorescent light etc); setting it to off significantly reduces aperture rattling.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. desmoface

desmoface Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, this is the information I was looking for.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    I have the combo you're talking about and no 'rattle snaking'. Anti-flicker is off, so that probably explains it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    I use mine on my ep5 and gx7 and it's definitely audible on my ep5, enough that I notice occasionally, but not enough for me not to use it, for that reason and you can't argue with the image quality, it is a superb lense. I really wanted to like this lense and I did love it initially, but the size and weight got to me eventually. I also am not a fan of the very big and very sensitive focus ring. As a solution I went ahead and got the o25/1.8 instead. The image quality is on par with the summilux and for me the difference of the larger aperture is negligible and I much prefer the size and design of the oly and as a bonus it's cheaper.
  10. desmoface

desmoface Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Hemuni, that's what I'm thinking. They are close enough in price ($467 vs $399) that I've taken that out of the equation. Considering I'm coming from the kit lens, either will be light years ahead indoors. Oly has refurb'ed 25mm for $319, to sweeten the deal.

11. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Audible but doesn't bother me on my E-M5. What does bother me is the abundant color fringing that is not corrected in-camera like on Panasonic bodies. Nice lens though.

If I did it again I would probably buy the refurb Oly and put the savings toward an additional lens.
  12. desmoface

desmoface Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I used Greentoe to purchase my Oly 25mm and just to see how it works, also to save $50 - Hopefully it all works as advertised:

Oly by desmoface, on Flickr

13. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    I think that's the nail on the head. It happens with lots of cameras and lens combinations and people don't notice it. It's just that the aperture on the PL25 is inherently noisy.

It doesn't always rattle snake either and I've never found any correlation of events that reliably triggers it. Also switching off and turning back on my EM5 will stop it if it has been triggered.

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    My PL25 does rattle snake sometimes, but so does other lenses too. The PL25 is just louder. It doesn't bother me too much.
  15. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    25/1.8 seems like an excellent lens, I'm sure you'll love it.