1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 and large(r) lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, I finally did what I'd been promising myself not to do - picked up an E-M5 (thank to the wonderful Buy/Sell/Trade forum here)! I had planned to wait for the 4th generation Pens, but couldn't hold out for Photokina.

At any rate, the camera is here now, and my first thought is that it reminds me a great deal of my old Olympus E-420, save for the fact that the VF is vastly nicer and the camera has about 5x more buttons.

What's a bit surprising is that the handling with the ZD 12-60 lens has not been good at all - in fact I'm getting hand cramps. It's odd because I used that lens with the E-420 for several years and was quite happy with the combo., and the E-M5 as close as I can tell has a very similarly-sized grip.

So I'm left pondering several choices:
    1) Stop using the ZD 12-60, as I originally intended, in favor of smaller lenses. Downside is that I might get larger lenses in the future. I've got my eye on the Panasonic 14-140, and it seems that lens would have the same problem?
    2) Go for the grip that jlm is machining. Price is right, and I like the look. But I'm not sure about the ergonomics, particularly for reaching the front dial and shutter release. Small hands probably don't help.
    3) Bite the bullet and get the HLD-6. For financial reasons, I'd really rather not...
    4) ?

Suggestions and ideas welcome! Thanks,

DH

P.S. My new 'sleek black beauty'

i-HhC2G4b-L.

i-3QwHRpc-L.

• Like Like x 1
  2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The hld-6 will probably help tremendously...can't vouch for the other grip option.

I was saying in another thread that a 300g lens is about as heavy as I'm willing to go on this camera body. Anything heavier and it just doesn't feel right (to me).

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Even when I use the PL25, I have to use the grip - at least the landscape one. There isn't enough real estate on the body for my fingers.

And yes, it works wonders for handling.

4. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I find the omd a tad bit difficult to hold too but it's more to do with long skinny fingers, and the strap eyelets add to the discomfort.

That lens does look heavy but I think you should rather invest in the hld-6 if you think you'll get another big lens anyway. I've seen a couple of used grips sold on here already.

Off topic, where did you get your adapter? I'll be getting one soon and the official one costs almost $200 new.

And the black version is looking more and more appealing now. The rubber grip looks like carbon fibre. Nice, clean product shots btw :)

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I felt that the Oly grip was absolutely necessary for larger lenses.....night and day. I can't speak to the one you picture though. My guess is the handling performance upgrade would be similar.

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Right. Sounds like the HLD-6 is what most folks have done. And the 12-60 is easily 2x your 300g limit!

All my other lenses are pretty small, so it's hard to tell if the issue is just the 12-60, or other less large lenses would require the grip too...

I'm not much of a fan of the eyelets either. The standard buckles (like those on the E-PM1) don't look as slick, but they're less fiddly. Oh well.

I got it secondhand on eBay. The Panasonic ones should be a lot less than $200. Mine unfortunately is slightly loose, meaning that occasionally the camera and lens lose communication. If you're brave, there's a 3rd party clone adapter for $60 on eBay.

Thanks (surprising what 2 sheets of paper can do in lieu of a studio). I think silver looks a bit slicker actually, but I prefer less conspicuous where possible.

It would be awfully useful if somebody had measurements of the E-M5 + landscape grip. I'm having a tough time getting a sense of how much the HLD-6 adds, in terms of dimensions and weight.

Thanks,

DH

• Like Like x 1
  7. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I happen to really like the Olympus HLD-6 grip. One other option that is not quite released yet is this Really Right Stuff grip and arca-swiss compatible plate combo. Note that this is pre-production and they are showing the grip before anodization as a bunch of customers were asking (me included).

Really Right Stuff Grip

To answer your question, the landscape grip adds 0.4 inches in height. The grip portion itself sticks out about 0.75 inches, but that depends on where and how you measure it. The vertical grip adds 1.22 inches in height. With a big lens, such as the Panasonic 100-300mm I do like both parts on the camera as the vertical grip portion gives me something to grab with my pinkie finger. It is much more comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I use my (gripless) E-M5 with the 14-140. I don't particularly like the handling of the combination when holding them in the traditional manner, but it is easy to hold and keep stable when held at waist level using the screen flipped out and a thumb trigger grip on the shutter button or by using the touchscreen shutter. I really don't want to be taking a small camera and making it bigger by attaching grips to it.

9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Interesting. Hadn't seen that before. I don't really need the L-plate, but the grip looks good. Same question as with the custom one listed here though in terms of reach controls.

So it adds about 10mm to the height and 19mm to the thickness. Overall, that means a grip that's larger than the one on the Olympus E-620. Should definitely be enough. Thanks for taking the measurements,

DH

10. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    No problem. As to the RRS setup, I have it on order and will post about it when it gets here. I use tripods a lot, so the l-plate is very useful. One advantage of the RRS setup, and the one from the guy from NY, is that you can access the battery compartment with the grip on. The Olympus grip has to come off, unless you use the full grip an put the battery in the vertical grip.

Luckypenguin,

To each their own. I understand your view, but even with the grip, this Olympus is very small compared to my previous Canon 1 series cameras. The handling is much more important to me than the absolute size. I may end up with the RRS grip/plate setup and use the Olympus grip on a second body, but I will have to see.

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    That shot really makes the 12-60mm look huge.

12. Well, I should admit that the smaller size and lack of financial outlay by not fitting a grip was just a pleasant side effect of operating the camera differently, but not my main reason for doing so.

13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Considering the cost of these after-market grips they make little sense given their reduced functionality compared to the HLD6.:rolleyes:

14. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    If you go to this website you can "virtually" add the HDL-6 grip to the E-M5 and any combination of 4/3rds or m4/3rds lenses. It should give you a good idea about the look and feel.

Four Thirds | Special Contents | Matching Simulation

• Like Like x 1
  15. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I would say that it depends on ones needs. If you use tripods a lot and need an l-plate, then the enhanced functionality of the RRS l-plate/grip certainly trounce the HLD-6. An HLD6 does nothing to help you if you have an industry standard Arca-Swiss clamp on your ballhead. Furthermore, these plates allow you to remove the battery without removing the grip from the camera. To me that is the weakest part of the HLD6 design, particularly for all of those that use the landscape portion of the grip only. I am guessing that you do not use tripods much, so the Arca-Swiss compatibility does not mean much for you. In that case, i would understand your opinion. If one frequently uses tripods, then you might see things differently. Aside from that, I sense you have an issue with their price. I can tell you that the RRS parts are exceptionally well made, very well designed, and being custom for every camera that they support, have relatively small volumes. All of that drives up the cost. However, if you need an Arca-Swiss plate, which typically run $90 to $150 for a body plate or l-plate, the added cost of the grip portion of the modular RRS system, at $70, is relatively cheap in comparison to spending $300 for an HLD6 plus the cost of a plate. The L-plate for my 1DsII was $190. So I was seeing this as a bargain to get a compact grip with l-plate that I could remove batteries without removing the grip from the camera for $100 less than the HLD6.

All of that said, I do like the full setup with both parts of the HLD6 mounted. The main problem is that there are no l-plates made for that configuration.

16. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Here's a snap of a gripped display unit I took just a while ago. I'm also tempted to get one. HTH

Thanks for the info on the adapter btw.

Attached Files:

17. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

No I don't use tripods much ...

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I've got a box of various Arca Swiss style plates. I don't usually need one specially made for a particular camera.

I don't have an issue with the cost of these machined grips. I just think the HLD6 is so much better and useful. As far as the battery issue I don't put a battery in my camera ever. I just use the grip and keep an extra battery in my pocket when I'm out shooting.

18. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I use the 12-60 with the grip. Balances just fine.

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Perhaps. But I have no use for the portrait handgrip, so I guess the functionality gap mainly comes down to whether or not the shutter release and front dial fit well.

Thanks, I've been using that. Problem is that the image is very small, and that makes it hard to judge dimensions.

I can definitely see the value if one uses a tripod frequently. But I avoid them like the plague :smile:

Thanks, looks reasonable (and the shutter release and front control wheel are in the right place).

Cool! Do you find yourself using it a lot? I promised myself I'd sell the 12-60 and get the 12-50, but after trying both the 12-60 and the 14-42 on the E-M5, I'm having a hard time letting it go. The kit lenses just feel like they're missing something...

Thanks everybody for the comments,

DH

20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Don't discount the portrait grip just yet...I thought I had no use for it either, but frankly, it makes the landscape orientation more comfortable (for me) as well.