E-M5 and IBIS for 4/3 lenses - Not great?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CarlB, Jun 3, 2012.

1. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Anyone else have stabilization issues with the E-M5 and 4/3 lenses?

I've about given up on the the 70-300mm being effectively stabilized. With the Pana-Leica 14-150mm, I turn off IBIS and turn on lens stabilization to get good results.

What's interesting is with manual focus assist magnification and IBIS, I can see the IBIS is working. But snap the shutter and there is jitter in the image.

With any m4/3 lens no issues ...

2. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'm using a new M Zuiko 75-300 and tonight tested it out for the first time. I'd say I was getting about 70% keepers. Sharpness was excellent and the IBIS was saving my behind. I'm a real shaky shooter so when I get anything handheld I'm shocked. Yesterday I shot with the kit 12-50 indoors with florescent lighting Jpeg with NO flash (I forgot it otherwise would certainly have used it). Took those shots into Lightroom and likity split had them looking superb. Super sharp. I was shocked I could get away without the flash and lower shutter speeds, but the shots were NO compromise. I tried that with a NEX-5N and A55 and didn't fare as well. So I know it's working good. I'm going to do some more testing with my 75-300 but this time with a monopod just for giggles. I had a Panny 100-300 that literally required a monopod to have a prayer of a chance of getting shots even outdoors decent light. I'll be curious how the IBIS reacts to that.

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'm shooting the ZD 70-300 on the E-M5 and my rate of keeper has improved over using it with the E-510. I use the lens for birding and insect macro shots, and of course the stabilization has no effect on movements made by the subject, so I try to keep the shutter up to 160 for those subject. If the bird is still, I've gone as low as 80 and gotten a sharp photo.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The E-M5 IBIS seems to work fine with my Zuiko 50-200 SWD at the long end. I mentioned in another thread that with my E-P3 + 50-200 combo, I almost couldn't get anything sharp without bright light and at least a monopod, but with the E-M5 + 50-200 combo, I seem to be getting more keepers while handholding the camera. Will have to do more tests in poor lighting conditions to confirm whether this is just my imagination or if this is indeed the fact though...

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    FWIW, here is a test shot of the E-M5 + Zuiko 14-54 MkII combo, taken @1/2 sec. handheld:
    P5310015_01.

and here is the 100% crop:
    P5310015_02.

Provided this shot is taken at the wide end of the lens, what it does show is that the issue is not whether the E-M5 IBIS work with 4/3 lenses, but whether E-M5 IBIS can effectively stabilize a heavy 4/3 lens at the telephoto end...

6. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks all.

I've found the shutter delay, located probably same as the PENs again - "Anti-Shock" and hidden under the second screen of the ISO menu. No wonder I can never find it! I'll mess with that a bit and see if it helps.

Also what firmware do folks have?

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The anti-shock is good if depressing the shutter is causing significant camera shake. You can use the self-timer to the same effect though.

I did see a thread on DPR with someone having odd behavior from the IBIS, but it seemed to go away after a while. It's probably worth cleaning the contacts on your lenses and adapter, and resetting the camera to factory defaults just to be sure though.

DH

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If I remember right the anti-shock adds a delay after closing the shutter from live view before opening for the exposure. With the self-timer the delay is before the full shutter cycle.

Fred