1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 and E-M1 Setting Similarities

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PixelJohn, Oct 4, 2013.

1. PixelJohn

PixelJohn New to Mu-43

Oct 4, 2013
    New to the forum. Just received my E-M1 and am wading through the manual. There lots of articles and tips for E-M5 settings but I am wondering if any apply to the E-M1. Thanks.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK maybe 3 days into actually having an e-m1... most of which have been consumed by transatlantic flights, sleep and other domestic crap... I can say that the settings for the em-1 are certainly very similar to those of the e-m5.

buttons are in different places and there are new options.. but the basic philosphy is the same

K

3. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Could someone confirm to me whether the E-M1 has a "high refresh rate" mode like the E-M5 did, and whether they notice a reduction in screen lag? Although the E-M1 in default mode should already be almost as fast as its sibling was in said mode.

4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    no frame rate option in the em1 menus... guess its the old higher level

it is noticeably bigger vf on the em1...just did a quick visual check... OMD m1 and 25mm and old analog OM-1 with 50mm.... same thing...actually the omd see more than the analogue OM

dont fret on the specs... the e-m1 is a seriously good camera.. this is what olympus have been working towards for the last 10 years

If you cant take good photos with this...find another hobby/profession

K

• Like Like x 1
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, on the E-P5 and the E-M1 it's in the D menu as Frame Rate.

6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    on the e-mI have in my hand ... that option is greyed out... guessing its an option that only appears if you have an external EVF attached

with all due respect I hadn't noted you as an actual e-m1 owner

K

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Sorry, I was just reading the manual...

8. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Lol!

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Did you just take it with you or did you buy it somewhere in North America?

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    got it in LA....first off the truck at Samys on Fairfax :)

K

11. Peter_Hartland

Peter_Hartland New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Andover Hampsshire UK
    Peter Hartland
    I have set mine to most of my M5 settings which originally came from a webair See them here M5 Settings. There are a few changes but these seem to be the best. Some are now in different menus though.

Pity Apple have not loaded the updated App for Wireless by the Android App has been updated & works great.

12. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Thanks for checking! If you don't mind checking once more, on the E-M5 this option actually is actually greyed out as well if you are using the "i-Enhance" picture mode, which is the default setting for the camera. It's possible that the same happens on the E-M1. If you haven't changed your picture mode to something else(say, natural), then this may explain it being greyed out.

13. Peter_Hartland

Peter_Hartland New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Andover Hampsshire UK
    Peter Hartland
    Update Apple have now updated the Wireless App WOW those extra setting compared to the EP5 are really useful on the EM 1

14. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Hi. Did anyone ever get a definitive answer on this? On my EM-1 the frame rate option is constantly greyed out and I am not in i-Enhance mode. I recall on my EM-5 I could adjust the EVF frame rate without much trouble. Thanks!

15. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    high frame rate grey out ?

check what you have on :)

for me trial and error turning on and off things it was the peaking being set to a fn button in my case the front top or bottom button that made it go grey :)

and I just tried it again like just now to double check :) in any mode manual A P whatever the moment I went into B on the menu went to the button and assigned any button to choose peaking I got the grey out for frame rate ?
    now this is even if I did not have it activated ! just the idea it was assigned :)

I never have used that iauto ? but maybe its when you have any effects on also ? like some of the other art filters ? I have not bothered checking if those make it go grey ? so would be worth checking those also if you are not using peaking ! wish there was a chart of things that would make the high rate go to grey as I love the high rate so much better :)
    again for me it was peaking very well could be a art filter or something else but mine is on high rate no problem :)

kinda bummed cause the peaking is kinda handy :) prefer the high frame rate !

napilopez also I found the flickering option really works I get no more flickering in my viewfinder which I got a few times under LED lights and a few other times I would notice it :) so for me a nice thing to have no flicker :)

hope this helps :)

16. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I never did like high frame rate on the E-M5 it made evf so low contrast. I much prefer normal speed most of the time.

17. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    [for me trial and error turning on and off things it was the peaking being set to a fn button in my case the front top or bottom button that made it go grey :)]

Thanks! I checked and it was related to peaking being activated. Too bad you can't have both!

18. geelog

geelog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    On my E-M5 I had reassigned my red Movie button to other functions but I could put the mode dial to Movie and use the Shutter release button to record and stop taking movies. Now on my E-M1 I can no longer use the shutter release to record movies. Even when in Movie mode I must use the red Movie button to record movies. I was hoping to use the shutter release button again so I could use the remote iPhone app to record movies. Sadly, not.

19. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Why is this a problem? If you assign the red button to some other function (mine currently is set manual focus), when in movie mode the red button starts and stops movie recording. The shutter button allows a photo to be taken even when recording video. Seems like a perfect solution to me. The wireless app is different issue though.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    He is actually making the point, that when you are in 'movie' mode (or any other mode for that matter) you cannot use the shutter release (the one you use to take photos) to record movies. The drawback is that you cant use the App to record video and even is he bought a remote shutter release he couldnt use it to start and stop movie recording.