1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 and dust

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pman, Sep 3, 2014.

1. pman

pman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    I took my E-M5 with the 12-50 to the desert for a week. We had a little rain, moderate heat and quite some dust (including dust storms). I carried the camera on a backpack strap with a Peak Design Capture clip, never had it inside a bag. Here's what it looked like 900 shots later. So far, I can't tell that it suffered at all. I wiped it down with a damp cloth afterwards. When I removed the lens, there was no visible dust on the inside and behind the battery and memory card doors, you can see how the dust stops right at the gaskets.

In case someone is wondering how good dust sealing is in practice.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    NIce. I'd like to see some example pictures of the trip if you have any to share. Mines still new, I bought it to use in rainy weather but I still freak out when I see specks of dust from leaving it around the house sometimes.

I'd imagine you have a fair bit of difficulty getting it out of the grooves between the padding and the body and the gaps between the mode dials, battery cover and such. How does the finish hold up to the dust particles when you wipe the off?

3. pman

pman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    Yes, there is still some dust in the creases and probably ever will. I don't care as long as it functions reliably, my camera is a tool to me and I bought it refurbished to begin with. The finish seems fine where I wiped off the dust though.

4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Did your em5 go to black rock city?

5. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I had mine splashed with saltwater once, so I hosed it down with freshwater. worked a charm:) Should work great on dust too;)

6. pman

pman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    It did, yes. I still need to sort and process my shots though.

7. pman

pman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  8. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    Beautiful images you captured!