E-M5 and auto-ISO problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pake, Jul 27, 2014.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    The second-hand E-M5 my girlfriend bought doesn't seem to work like mine. I've adjusted my E-M5's (Custom menu -->) "Slow Limit" when needed and it has always worked like a charm (e.g. when I set it to 1/40 the camera raises ISO only when the exposure would exceed 1/40s).

The (not-so) funny thing is that my girlfriend's camera doesn't work like that at all. I select Auto-ISO and set the Slow Limit to 1/60 --> When I shoot in a poorly lit environment the camera keeps the max. shutter time at 1/125 and raises the ISO without ever adjusting the shutter to 1/100, 1/80 or 1/60. Both cameras should have pretty much the same settings (e.g. Auto-ISO low limit 200 and high limit 2000 and Slow Limit 1/60) yet they don't function the same way. Both cameras have the same firmware (2.0). I've only tested the camera with my Oly60mm but I can't imagine the lens would make any difference - after all the 60mm has always worked identically with my other lenses on my own cameras.

Any ideas why the slow limit doesn't work as it should?

PS. I just tried to set the Slow Limit to 1/200s, 1/160s and 1/100s. The first two worked as they should but the 1/100s option raised ISO at 1/125s instead of the selected 1/100s.
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    I thought Slow Limit is the lowest speed the shutter will go to when the flash is used. I don't think it works like you want.

Are you comparing the two cameras in the same mode P/A/S/M and in the same lighting?
  3. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I think Growltiger is right.

The Slow Limit settings is part of the flash setup parameters.
    And this is what the manual says:
    "Choose the slowest shutter speed available when a flash is used."
  4. MayaTlab

MayaTlab New to Mu-43

May 20, 2014
    Yes, the lens makes a difference. The slow limit option will set the minimum shutter speed used in auto ISO as long as it's superior to the lens' equivalent focal length in full-frame terms. For the Olympus 60mm, it's 1/120 or thereabout.

I'm 99% confident you'd get the same results with your own body if configured the same way as your girlfriend's and with the 60mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    I'll be darned... :biggrin: You're absolutely right. I've never noticed that the lens does indeed affect the shutter speed. I guess it's because the 12-40mm lens lives on my E-M5 and before that it was the Pana 14mm... :wink:

"Problem" solved and a new lesson learned. Thank you!
  6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Same modes (P or A) and lighting etc.
    And as MayaTlab mentioned, the Slow Limit does more than you'd think. It actually does affect Auto-ISO. It's been discussed on this forum a year or two ago.