E-M5 and auto-ISO problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pake, Jul 27, 2014.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    The second-hand E-M5 my girlfriend bought doesn't seem to work like mine. I've adjusted my E-M5's (Custom menu -->) "Slow Limit" when needed and it has always worked like a charm (e.g. when I set it to 1/40 the camera raises ISO only when the exposure would exceed 1/40s).

The (not-so) funny thing is that my girlfriend's camera doesn't work like that at all. I select Auto-ISO and set the Slow Limit to 1/60 --> When I shoot in a poorly lit environment the camera keeps the max. shutter time at 1/125 and raises the ISO without ever adjusting the shutter to 1/100, 1/80 or 1/60. Both cameras should have pretty much the same settings (e.g. Auto-ISO low limit 200 and high limit 2000 and Slow Limit 1/60) yet they don't function the same way. Both cameras have the same firmware (2.0). I've only tested the camera with my Oly60mm but I can't imagine the lens would make any difference - after all the 60mm has always worked identically with my other lenses on my own cameras.

Any ideas why the slow limit doesn't work as it should?

PS. I just tried to set the Slow Limit to 1/200s, 1/160s and 1/100s. The first two worked as they should but the 1/100s option raised ISO at 1/125s instead of the selected 1/100s.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I thought Slow Limit is the lowest speed the shutter will go to when the flash is used. I don't think it works like you want.

Are you comparing the two cameras in the same mode P/A/S/M and in the same lighting?

3. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I think Growltiger is right.

The Slow Limit settings is part of the flash setup parameters.
    And this is what the manual says:
    "Choose the slowest shutter speed available when a flash is used."

4. MayaTlab

MayaTlab New to Mu-43

May 20, 2014
    Yes, the lens makes a difference. The slow limit option will set the minimum shutter speed used in auto ISO as long as it's superior to the lens' equivalent focal length in full-frame terms. For the Olympus 60mm, it's 1/120 or thereabout.

I'm 99% confident you'd get the same results with your own body if configured the same way as your girlfriend's and with the 60mm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'll be darned... :biggrin: You're absolutely right. I've never noticed that the lens does indeed affect the shutter speed. I guess it's because the 12-40mm lens lives on my E-M5 and before that it was the Pana 14mm... :wink:

"Problem" solved and a new lesson learned. Thank you!

6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Same modes (P or A) and lighting etc.
    And as MayaTlab mentioned, the Slow Limit does more than you'd think. It actually does affect Auto-ISO. It's been discussed on this forum a year or two ago.