1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 and 12-50mm IQ issue

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by avdbrandt, Jun 2, 2014.

1. avdbrandt

avdbrandt New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2014
    Rosmalen, The Netherlands
    Antwan van den Brandt
    Hello,

After reading on this forum for some time and still have an issue made me want to make my first post here.

2 months ago i bought an E-M5 12-50 mm kit, and so far I'm happy with it.
    Coming from an EOS 350D with Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 I wanted to get something more portable and take better IQ shot.
    For landscapes and general shooting I'm please with the results, but the trouble starts with portaits.
    These seem to be without contrast and sharpness and lack detail
    I've read all post to find the best settings like the shots shown here below, 1/500sec f8 and iso 800.
    also I turned on shutter shock to 1/8 and natural picture style, shot in RAW and large fine jpeg.
    Subject is my son in a soccer match, but he is barely moving and shots like this I took more than 20 will all same result.
    I use middle small point fixed focus mark without recompose.(just for testing) and use S-AF with face detection 1
    PP in OV3 and lightroom is only making it worse.

In this post you see 1 overall photo and 1 100% crop of it.
    P5240876. P5240876-11prct-crop.

Can you give me some advice on how I can improve it

1) is it me (I suspect :rolleyes:) using the wrong setting
    2) the 12-50mm lens as kit lens the limiting factor here
    3) should I stop checking at 100% crop.
    4) invest in 40-150mm or 75-300mm lens (although the distance is limited and tele lens is not needed).
    4) invest in the 12-40 mm 2.8 pro lens (which cost me as much as the body).

Many thanks in advance for any advice that will improve this.

Antwan.
    (being not native English and dyslectic may cause my grammar to look bad, my apologies for that).

2. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Try with the noise Filter OFF and sharpness at -2, you won't get that pixelating and you can sharpen using your computer afterwards and
    keep the aperture open more as it starts to get softer past 6.3
    Change to Vivid as well.
    Getting to know how a lens works takes a lot of shots and time, and you also have a new system !

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Most likely. You're shooting at ISO 800, which has a decent amount of noise, and so by default the camera's noise reduction (a.k.a. Noise Filter) will try to smooth it out. Turn off the Noise Filter and you'll likely see a lot more detail.

Since you have the RAW file, you can open it up in Olympus Viewer and experiment with the settings. If you post the file to dropbox, we can probably make some more specific recommendations as well.

In this particular case, you'd likely be better off shooting the lens wide open (f/6.3) and dropping the ISO to 400 as well. You lose more detail to noise than you gain by stopping down the lens, and f/6.3 should still be enough for the entire subject to be in focus.

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Change gradation from auto to normal.

5. avdbrandt

avdbrandt New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2014
    Antwan van den Brandt
    Vivalo , dhazeghi, bobpur , many thanks for your valid points for me to continue my learning this camera.
    I'm also happy to hear that I can do better with this kit as it is now,.
    I will test this coming weekend at another soccer match and report back to this forum.
    This way it might be a benefit for more starters like me.

6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Most zooms suffer at the end of the zoom range, especially taking a dive in the contrast area. Many to the point where shooting wider and cropping yields a more favorable result. As suggested I'd also shoot wide open, F8 starts to get into diffraction territory for M43. I'd also suggest using a static subject for testing purposes. And last but not least, shutter shock isn't really an issue above 1/250.

7. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I see alot of Noise Filter smearing in the JPEG provided above, I feel that we can do better with RAW in lightroom, you may send us the RAW like dhazeghi mentioned and we may provide you with better suggestion

8. avdbrandt

avdbrandt New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2014
    Antwan van den Brandt
    All, thanks for your help.
    These advice will help others as well.
    For me, I got an opportunity to turn in the om-5 in for a Canon EOS 6D, and that is what i did.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Antwan

9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The 6D is a great camera and I hope you'll having great fun with it!

However, it's a completely different beast, much bigger and heavier than the E-M5. I own an E-M5 and the 12-50mm as kit lens. When I saw the first shots, I thought that my copy was a bad one. Unfortunately, that was not the case. This lens just isn't much better than that at 50mm and shooting at ISO 800 does not help much, because ISO 800 looks bad with soft lenses. The lens isn't that bad between 12mm and 25mm, though, but it cannot convince me even there. Thus, I stopped using it at all. The E-M5 is a great camera, but it cannot show its full potential with this lens, which is the worst kit lens I have ever shot with.

10. someonesim

someonesim New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2013
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Just got 12 40 f2.8 to replace 12-50 kit since I had similar thought as you, and the pro lens is better. 12-50 are definitely good lens, but does shows softness at zoom focal. Throughout my usage with it for many occasions, it does drop sharpness and micro contrast if lighting conditions wasn't ideal enough.