E-M5 AF test with multiple Native and 43 Lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sohcsleeper, Apr 1, 2012.

1. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Not my video, credit due to youtube poster

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICfJNokJhMo"]OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 AF Test - YouTube[/ame]
    • Like Like x 8
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Interesting! Thanks for posting.

Looks like the Panasonic 14-45 is still the fastest, though the 12-50 is pretty close. Also, despite some bellyaching about the 20/1.7, it's not really that much slower than the 17/2.8.

I wish they would have tested the lenses at the long end as well. The wide end is usually where the lenses are fastest.

The 14-54II looks about the same as it was on my E-PM1. Sluggish, but acceptable, if you and your subject aren't moving.

The 50-200SWD though - yikes. One of the reasons I don't use my 12-60SWD so often on the Pens is that the motor has already died once, and all the grinding back and forth by the SWD motor achieving focus worries me. The 50-200 seems to do the same grinding routine.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nice test. Thanks!
  4. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    I can't here this "humming" noise people are talking about?
  5. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    In the "humming" thread I posted a video from the same user who shows video of the camera without lens on and even then its hard to hear. It's definitely there, but hardly the issue that everyone on DPreview forums is making it out to be.
  6. TheObiJuan

TheObiJuan Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    This is really good information. Thanks for sharing the video.
  7. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    What I love is the speed that the 20mm focuses. Unless it is my imagination...seems faster than ever.
  8. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    The autofocus speed of 20mm on the e-m5 is quite faster compare when attached to e-pl2.
    The 45mm attached to e-m5 focuses fast and almost instant.