E-M1x firmware updates - battery empty error??

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Personally I think it’s great that Olympus has protected users from a ‘catastrophic’ firmware upload failure by ensuring that no one can attempt to load a 120mb update with a battery with low charge
There should be no examples of cameras being bricked due to batteries exhausting during these updates
Although some will consider it overkill - Bravo to Olympus for the belt and braces approach

I agree but it would be better if they had a mechanism for users to recover from a failed firmware update.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
It is very simple for Olympus to check battery capacity at the very beginning of the procedure and warn the user, not at the end as Panasonic does it from day one.

Anybody use the wifi firmware update procedure from OiShare ?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
It is very simple for Olympus to check battery capacity at the very beginning of the procedure and warn the user, not at the end as Panasonic does it from day one.

You're right, but I feel like Olympus puts minimal engineering effort into their PC/Mac Software. When they went from Olympus Viewer to Workspace, it felt like little more than a new skin, and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there's a migration utility either.

You are right though, I've had a couple of near heart attacks from a failed firmware update only to learn my camera's been ok in the end.

Anybody use the wifi firmware update procedure from OiShare ?

I didn't even know it was available. I know there's a way to backup and restore settings which I plan to shared between both my E-M1Xs once I have enough time to configure one of them exactly how I want them, but the firmware update is new info to me (and I've updated all my cameras to their recent firmware, so won't happen for a while).

My big question is, will Olympus honour a repair for a failed firmware update for a camera that's out of warranty? Or will they be SoL?

fadeslayer

Mu-43 Regular
I resume this thread, to confirm that battery 2 is simply ignored during update, and it fails if not charged enough. Today I tried to update E-M1x and E-M1 II and I got the error in the X. I tried to update firmware for my newly acquired (used) 300 Pro, which I was searching for since the day I went into Olympus (last september), because my 2x works only with fw 1.5 (i found it was at v1.4) but during the update an error occured and it was bricked! :wtf::dash2::crying:?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I resume this thread, to confirm that battery 2 is simply ignored during update, and it fails if not charged enough. Today I tried to update E-M1x and E-M1 II and I got the error in the X. I tried to update firmware for my newly acquired (used) 300 Pro, which I was searching for since the day I went into Olympus (last september), because my 2x works only with fw 1.5 (i found it was at v1.4) but during the update an error occurred and it was bricked! :wtf::dash2::crying:?
Someone complained on FB that they thought they had enough in the battery 1 & battery 2 was full they should be OK. They didn't read the instructions that said
"Be sure to have a fully charged battery in the camera.", which means battery 1 should be freshly charged. Sorry for your situation, but it would seem you missed that bit too.
For others reading this, full instructions should be followed as listed here. https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/contents/ow/ow_a1.cfm

fadeslayer

Mu-43 Regular
Someone complained on FB that they thought they had enough in the battery 1 & battery 2 was full they should be OK. They didn't read the instructions that said
"Be sure to have a fully charged battery in the camera.", which means battery 1 should be freshly charged. Sorry for your situation, but it would seem you missed that bit too.
For others reading this, full instructions should be followed as listed here. https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/contents/ow/ow_a1.cfm
A fully charged in my understanding does not mean "Slot 1 battery fully charged", but it was not a real problem for me. I swappes batteries, and it went on. The problem was that after that, lens firmware update failed because unknown problem, because the EM1-X remained on even after connection lost with the computer, but somehow lens got stuck in unfinished PROM write, and now it does not respond.

Tomorrow I should receive a response from Polyphoto, the italian official importer and support, and then probably I will have to send lens in for repair.

I decided though not to upgrade E-M1X firmware, since I will give it in when I will receive my OM-1, so I don't want to risk another let down (I updated my E-M1II I got as second body, because it was at firmware 2.1 ?, I installed version 3.6 ?)

Latest threads

Top Bottom