E-M1X Compass Problem

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran
"Aside, I haven't heard a peep out of RRS as to the magnets or why their E-M1X L-plate was discontinued. Could be since Oly retired, they may stop making plates for them. Given the recent surge to buy the cheaper E-M1X, it seems odd to me unless this is the last production run of that camera and remaining stock is it."

I feel you may be right ... sadly! I love the X ... it does everything I need currently. Is it perfect for indoor sport? Hell No! but it can hold its head high against other bodies in other scenarios! I'll be getting another ASAP.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was preparing to call DISTec this AM (USA tech support), but thought I'd try it out again first outdoors.

There are a lot of Field Sensor Info checkboxes in the body menu that I turned on. I think menu "D" and "I" both have some buried. I went through whole lot of them and checked them all on (green).

I left the GPS Location off at first. Outdoors I turned it on and the SCP > Info button pulled up the GPS and compass rose. Both fields were blank and no compass arrow. I did see the little satellite flashing looking for data and left it running. After a while, I turned the camera off and then back on since I had turned on the GPS location prior.

While out there, I did the circle dance while pointing the camera face up and face down. Several figure eights. While pointing it down, the compass needle suddenly appeared! Later, the GPS lat./long. filled in. It seemed like several minutes of doing this dance before the info displayed.

Also, I left the RRS magnetic L-plate attached while doing this as the hand straps are sewn on so not easy to remove. Appears the magnets do not affect the compass much, although it isn't a super-accurate compass, imho. The altitude seems to need a bit of adjust too and not that accurate day to day. It's off by maybe 30 feet today from yesterday.

So below is a screen shot, albeit I did hyphen-out the lat./long. numbers. I need to clean the camera too as it's been birding a lot since Version 2 came out.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So all good for now...I hope!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom