E-M1X "Bird AI" hints & sundry issues.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thought a thread for any issues with the E-M1X "Birds AI" might be of help.

Yesterday I had a problem using "Bird AI" in overcast. The AF's Large White to Large Green to Small Green square on the eye was working, but the camera refused to fire. Kept mashing the shutter button and nothing (Other than air turning purple and me scaring the birds off!). Sometimes I'd also see a red square around the eye as well after the green one being on it for a while.

I played around with various A1 menu items like AF Scanner and C-AF Sensitivity to no avail. Camera shutter still was stubborn to fire.

I went to menu Gear > C1 > C-AF Release Priority and turned it ON. Even though the Info panel says "If On is selected, the shutter can be released even if the camera is not in focus in C-AF" and that turning to ON seemed to fix it! :yahoo:

I suspect when the green eye square is on the bird, the camera has found the proper eye focus and could fire immediately, and if delayed then anything after that initial AF eye lock-on might be causing the shutter to freeze or delay. With C-AF Release Priority turned ON, I get a lot more shots in focus which seems counter-intuitive to the Info screen - and the air isn't as purple and the birds stay around.

Gy Rob

Mu-43 Regular
I don't think it's an issue, it's just not as good as we hoped it would be, yes sometimes it works well but to me it's so unreliable to be of little use I would rather chance C-AF and hope my skill gets the shot .
By the way C-AF Sensitivity does not work with bird detect .
Rob.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've read where a lot seem to put the SCP Sharpen at zero or even a minus one. With birds and their fine feathers, I get better results setting it for Maximum sharpness so I can better see in the EVF or LCD where the focus landed and if that part is sharp or not. The DOF is too shallow at times, maybe 1/2 inch, so setting it on maximum allows me to see the fine white feather detail, and also tells me if I blew out the exposure of the white feathers, given our in-camera viewers are not high-resolution types (ahem!). I do the same with the bright white crown and eyebrow of the sparrow. It also gives me a chance to cull through the images in-camera and delete them there if the focus landed someplace else.

Below is a full screen in the upper left corner, and the larger is a tight crop of it and what I look to see in the viewfinder of the fine white feathers. If not present, something went wrong. Even maybe a third stop too much might lose their detail. RAW/ORF was processed in DxO PhotoLab 4 (No Topaz DeNoise AI or Sharpen AI applied.).

Feather-Detail.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom