1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1's EVF lag with focus peaking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ean10775, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've been considering picking up a camera body to use with legacy glass and as such a good EVF and focus peaking are important to me. I tried the E-M1 at my local shop and while the EVF is gorgeously large, bright and smooth with little if any lag when panning, as soon as I activated focus peaking, those attributes went out the window. Peaking is certainly easily visible, but the lag of the EVF was terrible in my opinion. Was I perhaps doing something wrong or is that simply the way the E-M1's peaking implementation looks?

2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    thats how it is. i realize that it has to compute the contrast on the fly and re-render the picture to peak those pixels... but certainly is not the same behavior with any of my other branded cameras

• Like Like x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    That's what I was afraid of. I understand why it's that way, but still it's quite disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    In my opinion if you're focusing manually than you're not looking for lightning fast speed anyhow. At first I was kind of disappointed too until I realized if I want speed I'm going to use an AF lens. You could argue that maybe you want to make focus adjustments on the fly while panning or tracking a fast moving subject. I can't really think of any instance where I would have enough time to even think about manual focusing before my subject was gone.

It is a pity that the Em1 and Ep5 slows down the refresh rate for peaking but it's not a deal breaker for me. I use focus peaking all the time with old manual lenses and never really thought to myself "man I wish the refresh rate was faster during peaking". It was more like I was thinking "holy crap I am so glad that this camera even has this feature and how did I ever live without it before this". :smile:

BTW I'm using the EP5 but I imagine the peaking is the same in both cameras.

5. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I dunno, my EM1 is pretty snappy. But I'm using the magnify function also and dialing it in pretty exact. Mostly using 4/3s glass but I didn't notice any lag on my 35mm film lenses either. Maybe I'm just slow at focusing though.

6. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    To me it's barely noticeable too the only reason it even came to mind the first time I used the EP5 was because I watched Blunty's review before buying it. In there he comments on the slow refresh rate during peaking. Now that I'm used to it I don't really notice or care. Maybe someday when I'm trying to manually focus on an race car it will bother me.

7. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    I've only had the camera a short time, but I didn't notice it until I read about it here. If I ever focus manually, it is on a static subject, with the camera not moving. In that situation, the slower refresh rate or lag doesn't seem to matter. It only becomes apparent if panning and focusing manually at the same time, or with a moving subject.

8. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    The firmware update improved the refresh rate quite a bit so it's possible you tried a camera without the update. With the update it's possible to mf on moving objects.

• Like Like x 1