E-M1mk2 users: how fast is a data transfer via USB Type-C port?

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
As a long-term E-M5mk1 and E-M1mk1 user I would like much faster data transfer via USB to PC when importing few gigabytes of photos from my camera. I dont have a memory card reader so an USB connection is the only way how to do it.

1567861379003.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Source: E-M1 Instruction Manual, page 122

Both cameras feature the old USB 2 protocol which translates into 9-10 MB/s data transfer speed in my case (MTP or Storage modes). The third option seems to be slightly faster although it is intended primarily for tethering.

I know that the highest speeds close to the max for every USB generation was a device memory controller dependent. In this case a bottleneck is the E-M1mk1, PC port is a true USB 3 one. I read that the max limit for USB 2 was around 25 MB/s with a very capable memory controller.

It is very likely I will upgrade to the E-M1mk2 someday and one of the features I really like is a presence (maybe?) of the newer USB version. I found the following in the spec sheet on the Oly offical website for the E-M1mk2:
  • USB 2.0 High Speed: Yes
  • USB 3: Type C
The USB specification (not only for type C) is a mess. Type C can be paired with very fast USB 3 10 Gb/s version as well as the ancient USB 2 version). A table from Wiki illustrates this:
1567861983301.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#/media/File:USB-C_Protocol_Chart.png

Here comes the question. Can anybody measure/provide a feedback from real use how fast is a data transfer on the E-M1mk2? Thank you!

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I might get around to this tomorrow but I have to ask, why not just buy a good USB 3.1 card reader? They are not that expensive and are almost always the fastest option - they can pretty well max out the transfer speed of the SD card which is more than can be said for USB interfaces on most embedded devices.

Card readers also have the benefit that they will work with cards from all of your cameras. In fact, I bought a UHS-II SD card when I had an E-M1 Mk1 just so that I could download long action sequences faster (I can then cull much faster on a PC). Even though the camera couldn't write to it at UHS-II speeds, my card reader could take advantage of the extra speed and pull the images off much faster. Now that I've upgraded to the E-M1 Mk2 I still plug the card into the card reader.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I played around with a couple of SD readers as well as the slot in my computer. The USB 3.1 Imagemate was a clear winner for speed with the same USH-II cards.

Test in this link on here.

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
I might get around to this tomorrow but I have to ask, why not just buy a good USB 3.1 card reader?
I dont usually remove the card (Sandisk SDHC Ultra 16 GB, rated for 30 MB/s read) from my camera. You're right with buying a good USB 3.1 card reader. Might be a good idea. On the other hand it is unfortunate that in 2019 I have to buy a card reader to get fast data transfer to my PC. I would expect that the 2016 camera (the E-M1mk2) will offer enough speed from USB port. I will wait for your test. Thanks.

Olyver Mark

Mu-43 Regular
With 2 different V90 cards I'm averaging 140-145 MB/s. This is for a mix of raw and video files. Speed are reported from windows during transfert (not measure with a dedicated performance measurement software)

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
As reported by Windows 10 with about 200 RAW files, my Sandisk Extreme Pro 300 MB/s card read at just under 130 MB/s when using USB. I got just under 190 MB/s with my card reader. I already know that my card reader (Kingston FCR-HS4) isn't the best out there but that puts it in perspectuve.

Last edited:

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
With 2 different V90 cards I'm averaging 140-145 MB/s.

As reported by Windows 10 with about 200 RAW files, my Sandisk Extreme Pro 300 MB/s card read at just under 130 MB/s when using USB. I got just under 190 MB/s with my card reader. I already know that my card reader (Kingston FCR-HS4) isn't the best out there but that puts it in perspectuve.

Thank you both for your time and testing. It seems there is a typo on offical Oly site, USB Type C is definitely paired with USB 3.0 in the E-M1mk2 (USB 2.0 peaked at 480 Mb/s at best). This is great news. More than 10× faster data transfer via USB over my E-M1mk1 is a noticeable improvement. A new and faster SDXC card for the E-M1mk2 is a must. In some cases the standard Harddrive (no SSD) might be a bottleneck here.

c12402

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Juan Guerrero
Testing with Lexar cards 2000X gave me 200mb/s using the card reader that comes with the cards. I use to do this test to check counterfait cards. I use this card with em 1.2 and em1x. Pretty fast writting during procapture and burst for birding. Adata are also equally fast.

Latest threads

Top Bottom