E-M1II successor

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
This is a flagship to showcase olympus. Nearly everyone on this site has stated that the smaller form factor is what lead them to m43. Why not have the new flagship be something that most of the base will want? A new pen or 5iii could showcase these new features just as well.
Now, how is that going be a 'fanfare' product for their 100 year anniversary?
Sorry, but all this, "don't make it big because I don't want it" is sad & limiting for a company out to impress for a special occasion, not to mention also for the 2020 Olympics in Japan the following year. They are bringing smaller models as well.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Olympus die-hard and fanboy? Hardly. I sold all of my Olympus gear. However, when I did own Olympus gear it was the "large" E-M1 II.

For the record, I do think that Olympus needs to update the E-M5 line up. 20MP sensor, functioning PDAF, 4K video, better hi-res, better EVF, and go back to the tilt-only rear LCD.

Olympus is missing a modern, small, premium camera in their line up, and I think the E-M5 III will fill that gap. But all of this "the sky is falling!" mentality from people is a bit dramatic. The smaller cameras are coming in 2019, so people can stop complaining about the big, heavy m43 cameras. They can then focus their attention on complaining about the cost of those new, small cameras, saying they cost too much money.
That's maybe why Olympus isn't updating the E-M5 line (as it seems from a couple of sources), but if they bring say, an E-M6, then that can be something different, at a different level or whatever. Next year they're bringing the PEN-F Mk II & another body (at least), so to satisfy all the 'small camera' wishers, it will probably be an E-PL-10. ;) :hide:

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
FWIW I only pointed out that it's the opposite approach olympus took with the OM-1. Everyone here is way too sensitive. Some members, I won't mention names, feel the need to create new threads to display their hypersensitivity ...

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
I don't think it has anything to do with necessary hardware. I think it's an attemp to convince everyone that olympus is a PRO capable camera. Sony can fit a FF sensor , 5 axis ibis, double battery life, and excellent AF in the 7iii body, surely olympus could do the same with a m43 sensor in an em5 body.

SONY's IBIS is crap compared to Olympus (First-hand experience)

Your fanboy approach to anyone who questions the direction of olympus is a bit refreshing. Olympus needs diehards like you. I think you've figured it out. All the m43 users secretly desire huge bodies and small sensors.

There are thousands of "DIEHARDS" like him I am another of them
maybe you should start thinking out of the BOX your in

Regards, Rick

swifty

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
That's maybe why Olympus isn't updating the E-M5 line (as it seems from a couple of sources), but if they bring say, an E-M6, then that can be something different, at a different level or whatever. Next year they're bringing the PEN-F Mk II & another body (at least), so to satisfy all the 'small camera' wishers, it will probably be an E-PL-10. ;) :hide:

Just a thought but perhaps the E-M5 may not be ‘updated’ as some rumours suggests has more to do with positioning as camera abilities have grown and the E-M10 series has crept up awfully close.
So the ‘successor’ to the E-M5.2 might be an E-M3, something a bit closer to the original E-M1 since that series has grown in mk II guise and we’ll soon find out how this E-MX fits into the whole lineup.
FWIW I had the original E-M5 and had always used the horizontal grip (but not the vertical battery one). I felt the same about the Pen F that I briefly owned.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
FWIW I only pointed out that it's the opposite approach olympus took with the OM-1. Everyone here is way too sensitive. Some members, I won't mention names, feel the need to create new threads to display their hypersensitivity ...

Never mentioned you in that thread but I've been seeing the complaints about the E-M1II for a while ever since it was released. I've been referring to another member (and possibly another) that had been using circular arguments and I no longer see them post if you're curious about who they are..

I did owe a Z-Cam E1 with the 12-32mm against the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 on the E-M1II shot to another member and had some time to quickly set that up. Previous photo was with the 14-42PZ and the Sigma didn't have the hood on either. I had to take a shot at some of the comments you'd see at 43rumors which reek of FUD.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We’re saying the same thing Mike. The batteries are in the portrait grip, and thus the only way to replace the depleted one is to remove the battery tray, which would kill the power to the camera.
Or you can buy yourself a powerpack, a small portable battery which you connect with a usb wire to the camera directly, the same way you can recharge your phone when you don't have an electricity source.

AllanG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Allan
I think it's a bit ironic that olympus is taking the complete opposite strategy that they did to become so popular. The OM-1 was basically a FF camera that was half frame size. Now the new flagship is a half frame sensor that's larger than many FF bodies... Not knocking it, just think it's ironic.
It intrigues me that the OM-1 was small, with small lenses and full frame at the same time. So why can't they loose the pentaprism of that body and the film collecting/reserving regions and put a sensor in it and give us a small FF camera with just the f-stop, shutter speed and ISO settings. EVF without a screen on the back and maybe people would understand how to take a photo and compose it at the same time.
Silly question on my part but I would buy one if it had the same mechanical OM-1 toughness

Last edited:

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
It intrigues me that the OM-1 was small, with small lenses and full frame at the same time. So why can't they loose the pentaprism of that body and the film collecting/reserving regions and put a sensor in it and give us a small FF camera with just the f-stop, shutter speed and ISO settings. EVF without a screen on the back and maybe people would understand how to take a photo and compose it at the same time.
Silly question on my part but I would buy one if it had the same mechanical OM-1 toughness
Something like the kodak DCS? It makes the new EMX look tiny.
Screenshot_2018-12-14-05-43-46-1.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Maybe epson will roll out a modern R-D1. I would still love to try one out. I think it's because of the cool seiko analog meters on the top.
The Epson R-D1 - A budget friendly Leica alternative.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom