E-M1II successor

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
So, it looks like another AF upgrade from Olympus, and no doubt another "best AF" claim. How many times can they fool us?
Once was enough for me. I learned my lesson from the E-M1 II (and the 18 month wait for Olympus to release FW 2.0).

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
And one I think they will have a very tough time selling for twice the price of X-T3. If they had replaced the sensor with a BSI one....maybe, just maybe. :whistling:
The absolute biggest conceivable gains you'll get from a BSI sensor are somewhere between 0.25 to 0.33 EV, based on historical examples. That's nowhere near enough to bridge the 1.94 EV physical size gap between M4/3 and FF. It's not even enough to bridge the 0.56-0.71 EV physical size gap between M4/3 and APS-C.

BSI has become a buzzword, but it's not a revolutionary technology. It's a modest, incremental evolution that offers improvements for cameras with very small pixel pitches (i.e. it has primarily been a performance driver for tiny cellphone sensors, has been somewhat useful for 20MP 1" sensors, and so would be okay for a ~40MP M4/3 camera).

There are a few avenues to dramatic fundamental gains in image quality, but they're going to revolve around an entire different sensor technology (perhaps the mythologized Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor) or computational photography that leverages ultra-fast readout speeds and data rates to stack and combine image data in a smart way. A stacked-BSI architecture might be one way to help achieve that latter goal, but the current E-M1 II has one of the fastest sensor readout architectures on the market, and is a conventional FSI sensor with no on-sensor DRAM (to our understanding)...

So basically....... (yeah, I didn't get most of that) :biggrin:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
The absolute biggest conceivable gains you'll get from a BSI sensor are somewhere between 0.25 to 0.33 EV, based on historical examples. That's nowhere near enough to bridge the 1.94 EV physical size gap between M4/3 and FF. It's not even enough to bridge the 0.56-0.71 EV physical size gap between M4/3 and APS-C.

BSI has become a buzzword, but it's not a revolutionary technology. It's a modest, incremental evolution that offers improvements for cameras with very small pixel pitches (i.e. it has primarily been a performance driver for tiny cellphone sensors, has been somewhat useful for 20MP 1" sensors, and so would be okay for a ~40MP M4/3 camera).

There are a few avenues to dramatic fundamental gains in image quality, but they're going to revolve around an entire different sensor technology (perhaps the mythologized Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor) or computational photography that leverages ultra-fast readout speeds and data rates to stack and combine image data in a smart way. A stacked-BSI architecture might be one way to help achieve that latter goal, but the current E-M1 II has one of the fastest sensor readout architectures on the market, and is a conventional FSI sensor with no on-sensor DRAM (to our understanding)...
Forget about BSI... Organic sensor is getting closer: This is the first "real world" image of the new Panasonic 8k camcorder with Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor! - 43 Rumors

And from the comments section of this piece regarding the EM1X (Just a comment - I don't know if the source is reliable or not):

it's getting a new sensor, supposedly designed by Olympus' medical imaging division, which is not organic, but supposedly has very improved low light characteristics.

3K would be for the bespoke sensor, all the processing power AI focus stuff and the hand held high resolution solution. There may be more as I doubt we have the full picture yet.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
So these popped up in my FB feed:

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
What do we think LOCK and C-LOCK refer to on that three position switch on the back near the bottom?

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
What do we think LOCK and C-LOCK refer to on that three position switch on the back near the bottom?
Lock simply locks the buttons/rear dial pad/AF joy-stick so that you don't inadvertently bump something, change a setting, etc.

I'm not 100% certain on "C-lock", but my guess would be that it de-activates the portrait controls (My D500 grip has a separate lock for the portrait grip controls, and then for the regular controls).

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That main grip (not battery) looks chunky. Also, that's a lot of dead space at the top of the camera, where some of the buttons on the back used to be. It doesn't look like a tiny screen has been put there either (like the X-H1, EOS-R, Z-6/7). That actually looks disappointing. Hopefully the image quality is better.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
There looks to be a piece of plex-glass covering something at the top right from the back view. By guess is that Olympus is hiding something here.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
What a nice piece of gear. Not too big at all by the looks of the last pic. I use my E-M1 with grip and so will be used to that form factor. The button configurations look well placed. I’m really looking forward to holding this baby.

When I want small, I turn to the camera bodies I use most on a daily basis - my E-M10 or E-PL’s. I love the fact that Olympus has such a diverse lineup of small compact cameras right through to large pro cameras - that all have the same sensor size and thus all use the same completely broad range of extremely small to modestly large lenses in all speeds and configurations and price points. Can’t find that with Sony, Nikon or Canon!

——

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom