1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-M1II successor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Dec 1, 2018.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Once was enough for me. I learned my lesson from the E-M1 II (and the 18 month wait for Olympus to release FW 2.0).

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

Mar 21, 2014
    The absolute biggest conceivable gains you'll get from a BSI sensor are somewhere between 0.25 to 0.33 EV, based on historical examples. That's nowhere near enough to bridge the 1.94 EV physical size gap between M4/3 and FF. It's not even enough to bridge the 0.56-0.71 EV physical size gap between M4/3 and APS-C.

BSI has become a buzzword, but it's not a revolutionary technology. It's a modest, incremental evolution that offers improvements for cameras with very small pixel pitches (i.e. it has primarily been a performance driver for tiny cellphone sensors, has been somewhat useful for 20MP 1" sensors, and so would be okay for a ~40MP M4/3 camera).

There are a few avenues to dramatic fundamental gains in image quality, but they're going to revolve around an entire different sensor technology (perhaps the mythologized Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor) or computational photography that leverages ultra-fast readout speeds and data rates to stack and combine image data in a smart way. A stacked-BSI architecture might be one way to help achieve that latter goal, but the current E-M1 II has one of the fastest sensor readout architectures on the market, and is a conventional FSI sensor with no on-sensor DRAM (to our understanding)...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 25, 2016
    So basically....... (yeah, I didn't get most of that) :biggrin:

Zach.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Forget about BSI... Organic sensor is getting closer: This is the first "real world" image of the new Panasonic 8k camcorder with Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor! - 43 Rumors

5. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Veteran

And from the comments section of this piece regarding the EM1X (Just a comment - I don't know if the source is reliable or not):

it's getting a new sensor, supposedly designed by Olympus' medical imaging division, which is not organic, but supposedly has very improved low light characteristics.

3K would be for the bespoke sensor, all the processing power AI focus stuff and the hand held high resolution solution. There may be more as I doubt we have the full picture yet.

6. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  7. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2013
    Singapore
    Dave
    So these popped up in my FB feed:

D0463EE4-A908-4AD7-BD78-7B2D0123BA15.jpeg
    8ED310E1-6BF6-4892-A6CC-8A18E6ADD470.jpeg
    817052E3-3BD2-486C-8971-748848AC31B9.jpeg

• Wow Wow x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Interesting. Looks like a mash-up between the E-M1 II, G9, and, and D5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

Mar 21, 2014
    What do we think LOCK and C-LOCK refer to on that three position switch on the back near the bottom?

10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Lock simply locks the buttons/rear dial pad/AF joy-stick so that you don't inadvertently bump something, change a setting, etc.

I'm not 100% certain on "C-lock", but my guess would be that it de-activates the portrait controls (My D500 grip has a separate lock for the portrait grip controls, and then for the regular controls).

11. TomasT

TomasT Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Nederlands,Rotterdam
    Tomas Titak
    Certainly locked

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Completely Locked - at least there's a button for it now, as opposed to random firmware failures with earlier models.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 18, 2012
    That main grip (not battery) looks chunky. Also, that's a lot of dead space at the top of the camera, where some of the buttons on the back used to be. It doesn't look like a tiny screen has been put there either (like the X-H1, EOS-R, Z-6/7). That actually looks disappointing. Hopefully the image quality is better.

14. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Since we are all guessing I would say Card Lock since there is a Card button close by.

15. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    There looks to be a piece of plex-glass covering something at the top right from the back view. By guess is that Olympus is hiding something here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    The focus joystick looks interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Upon viewing the images at 100%, does anybody else think these are fake/photoshopped?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  18. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    Does it matter? Wouldn't we be more productive just randomly spinning our chairs?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    My kids would vote for spinning our chairs. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. What a nice piece of gear. Not too big at all by the looks of the last pic. I use my E-M1 with grip and so will be used to that form factor. The button configurations look well placed. I’m really looking forward to holding this baby.

When I want small, I turn to the camera bodies I use most on a daily basis - my E-M10 or E-PL’s. I love the fact that Olympus has such a diverse lineup of small compact cameras right through to large pro cameras - that all have the same sensor size and thus all use the same completely broad range of extremely small to modestly large lenses in all speeds and configurations and price points. Can’t find that with Sony, Nikon or Canon!

——

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.