e-m1ii shutter button repair diy ?

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Anyone run into this ?

1603611799749.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
1603611811724.png

it just ... popped right off.

I can't seem to work out how it ever attached and latched in.

All the bits just popped out at once after pressing the shutter button as usual - not sure if anything's missing. Not amazingly keen to send off the camera for repair if it can be avoided! Anyone have any ideas how it fits together?

ThereAndBackAgain

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
David
That's interesting. I had exactly the same self-dismantling issue with my E-PL5. In my case the whole assembly sprang out and disappeared into a thorn hedge. It was repaired under warranty and never recurred. Worrying, nevertheless, since I now own an E-M1mkii.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Not the answer you might want, but I wouldn't even bother fixing it myself, because I wouldn't be sure if any sealings have been damaged or reinstalled correctly. So even if I would attempt fixing it on my own, I'd be more worried about the weather sealing afterwards. Just a thought.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
This seems like a pretty excessive bill ? Should have bought the G9 :/

1603944359840.png

On a moments thought: yes this is definitely a very stupid amount to charge, I'm putting a gasket on it and making a little thing out of sugru to sit in the hole. The shutter button still works electronically, it is literally just the plastic button / seal / spring that sits on top of the actual switch that needs replacement.

Also on looking at the breakdown: yes it looks like the PL5 guy made this also :

1603944963722.png

Ed - on talking to olympus repair that's just how it is! There is no way to get just the button, the spares they buy for it only come as part of the entire top assembly :(

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
From what I have seen of past Olympus repair quotes that is very expensive. Wonder if they are replacing the whole top plate or something?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Obviously changing the top plate. And this means removing the front grips and the thumb grip.

I happen to have a E-M1 Mkii I bought out of curiosity when someone dropped it onto rocks. Broken rear diecasting and so far not managed to get it working. Will post a couple of photos of the top plate and see if I can see the shutter pieces.

Do Aliexpress have the top plate as a spare? Or even Luton Cameras in the UK?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Clearly looking at the inside of the top plate there is a shutter and dial assembly, with a flexi connector at the top of the photo, but cannot see how it comes out. Taking the screws out and it is still captive by the outer diameter of the dial. You would have thought that would be a spare part for an Olympus repair shop.

PB010073.JPG

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I had something very similar happen to my extended grip for my e-m5ii. A dab of super glue and I pushed it all back on, and it’s been working fine for about a year since that happened.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Clearly looking at the inside of the top plate there is a shutter and dial assembly, with a flexi connector at the top of the photo, but cannot see how it comes out. Taking the screws out and it is still captive by the outer diameter of the dial. You would have thought that would be a spare part for an Olympus repair shop.

I was about to write, "how do you not work out making the single hardest working button on the camera the easiest one to replace?" and then I remembered the whole thing with JIP going on, and then it made vastly more sense.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
This is the shutter button, so yours has sheared off. There is a little circlip holding it into the camera. It should be retained so can you see the stem? If so may be possible to glue it back. together. The cup part sits in the well, and the spring inside the cup.

PB010074 (Medium).JPG
PB010076 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
This is the shutter button, so yours has sheered off. There is a little circlip holding it into the camera. It should be retained so can you see the stem? If so may be possible to glue it back. together. The cup part sits in the well, and the spring inside the cup.

View attachment 855550 View attachment 855551
Your photos aren’t showing up for me.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I broke out my difficult plastics glue (UHU all plastics cold weld, dudes into plastic minis seem to like it) it seems to be holding up ok. Just went on the assumption the top of the button sheared off the plastic peg, glued the spring to the button (which otherwise proved very difficult to centre and keep held down), dab of glue on the top of the peg. Doesn't feel any different than when it was new. Thanks heaps to @djtaylor7 for the pics.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ouch!

Top cover alone seems expensive enough, and the total of the repair is over half what the thing sells for now via B&H Photo (On sale now for $899.). https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283565-REG/olympus_om_d_e_m1_mark_ii.html

I'd be in the "Glue it back onto the post" group too. If it breaks again...opps!

Hope they didn't take it apart and keep some stuff out of it. Seen that happen before - with an ugly outcome too. If Olympus was still around making bits, there might be smaller parts available and cheaper. JIP repair might be selling entire blocks of gutted parts (More money. Less inventory.) since they might not be making smaller bits at all to fix them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom