1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M10 Will not Save Focus Point in Auto Shooting Mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CWRailman, Jun 25, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    While I normally shoot in Aperture Priority mode, I occasionally switch to the Auto mode for some quick shots. I always use the center spot focus for the auto focus mode but when I shut the camera off and turn it back on it resorts back to the default multi area pattern focus mode or whatever they call it. Is there any way to save that spot focusing mode as I don't like when the camera tries to figure out what I want to focus on?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Auto mode is Automatic. The camera decides what settings to use for you. It is doing what it is supposed to do by automatically picking your AF point. It starts up with default Auto settings each time to make life easier for those that don't know what they are doing.

If you want an Auto mode you can customize a little, try P (Program).

3. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Have you set the home position under the AF/MF menu option? I don't have my camera to hand at the moment, but I think that will allow you to save a default AF point for when you revert back to semi auto or manual modes.

4. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Yes I have. In fact I keep resetting it to the S-AF+MF mode and the next day it is back at the S-AF mode. If they do not want you to make that change why not just make it unavailable. Someone did point out that the camera might be factory configured to always go back to the default settings in order not to confuse those who might rely on the basic Auto settings. With that thought in mind I will attempt to configure the Program mode to be my quick shooting/grab a shot mode. And I do thank them for the suggestion.

Playing around with the E-M10 while awaiting delivery of the 20mm Panasonic lens I just purchased.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  5. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Thanks for the suggestion about configuring the Program mode. It does keep all my settings. I did go into the Menu "E" then "ISO" setting and set that to the AUTO mode so it functions similar to the Auto mode in that respect but seems to save all my other settings. In the past I have not been a big user of Program in any of my cameras which are normally used in either Manual or Aperture priority but in this case for my intended use of this camera, that was a great suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I just tested it on my E-M5 Mk.II and at first it was multi area AF. I went into the AF/MF menu, then into AF Mode menu, [•] Set Home menu and then made sure that both [•] and [•]S was both set to center point. Exit out and then press left arrow to bring up the focus point screen and double check that it's on center focus. If pressing left arrow doesn't bring up the center focus point screen then press Info and then the Down arrow to change from multi area, center area and single point screens.

After doing that, turning off the camera and turning back on the camera will keep the center focus point.

BTW, this works for all shooting modes if you want to individually set each shooting mode with a certain kind of AF mode.

7. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny

8. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Yes, I had the same experience but when the camera was shut off for the night, or for several hours it defaulted back. Sometimes it defaults back in even less time than that and it will not remain as a "center spot focus" but bounces around all over the place. I hate when a camera tries to second guess where I want it to focus. I guess I will rule out using that mode as my go to for fast shots.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Hmmm... really? I'll have to check again tomorrow to see if it reverts. I never use iAuto mode so I assumed it would work the same as Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual, etc...

10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    OK. Just played with it some more. It seems it saves the center focus point when turned off and back on as long as the shooting mode hasn't changed. However, once you change from iAuto to say Aperture Priority and go back into iAuto, it defaults to multi area focus.

11. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I think every time you switch to iAuto the camera completely takes over. You MIGHT be able to set up an iAuto myset with center point focus and then save that to the iAuto position on the mode dial. I don't know if that would work but it would be worth a try.