E-M10 Wifi transfer of all (or many) images

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by keith1200rs, Jul 21, 2015.

1. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire

I am considering the E-M10 (I already have the E-PL5 and a few lenses) and wondered if the Wifi connection is suitable for transferring a large number of pictures (say 200 at a time) to an Android smartphone? I tried it with my E-PL5 when I got it using the Wifi SD card that came with it but it was so slow I decided it was unusable. Has anyone tried to use the E-M10 Wifi in that way or is it only really suited to an image at a time transfer?

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I gave up with WiFi on our E-M10 and E-M5 ii. It is too slow, even over a decent WiFi network like at a Starbucks. I just use the SD dongle for the iPad which is a lot faster.
  3. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I feel like it's more for one image at a time. I haven't tried a large amount of pictures yet.
  4. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm confused, what do you mean the wifi at Starbucks? The way it works is it creates a direct ad-hoc wifi connection between your phone and the camera. You can be out in the middle of a cornfield in the middle of nowhere. The phone and the camera don't need a wifi signal, just to be close enough to each other to connect.

I recently used this feature to transfer about 50 images from my camera to my iPhone 6 Plus to post to Facebook midway through a family vacation. I also used it to copy some images over while on a cruise. It isn't the fastest, I think 50 images took about 5-7 minutes but its workable. I wouldn't personally try to copy a whole card over. A few dozen works though. Also it will eat both the phone and camera battery, so use sparingly.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks, that is useful. The time doesn't matter too much provided it doesn't run to hours.

6. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    I find that on iOS, the app will often only see the last few photos. It seems like it's the last "session" so if I want to transfer from a picture I took 2 days ago, it doesn't show up. Otherwise, I do use it to post pictures partway through a trip. It can be odd when I'm back at my computer and I have synced my phone and camera, and now have multiple copies of the picture with different names (especially if I've adjusted something on the phone.)
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    sfmurph: I had the same problem, and then I found a setting in the app which allowed me to see all of the images on the card regardless of date. Change "see today's photo" to off.

I've used the build-in wifi on the E-M1, GX7 and RX100 while traveling with an iPad and it works really well, in my opinion, better than the Apple Camera Connection Kit. They all only transfer JPEGs, so the transfer speed is dependent on your JPEG setting, or if you're shooting raw only, then the size of the embedded preview JPEG. I've never transferred hundreds of images, rather I've always selected the dozen for the day and transferred them easily. But I can't see why more pictures can't be transferred with more time.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    Oh wow. Thanks for that info. I'll try that!
  9. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    imahawki is correct, dornbuster, no public or private network is required. The camera creates the hotspot/network to which you connect. (http://www.infotor.com/blog/using-wi-fi-on-the-om-d-e-m10/)

I don't usually transfer more than a dozen images at a time and, though slow, to me it's acceptable. If you are doing the transfer just to get a better view of your images or to share, you can reduce the size of the JPG that is sent to your smart device. Default, I believe, is 2048x1536, but you can change that. I, actually, transfer them original size, since I shoot RAW+JPG and if I'm happy with my full size JPG, I may not ever copy them from card to computer! I'm often shooting B&W (Monotone), and if I think I might also like to have a color version, I will then transfer RAW version to computer. Back to the transfer: you can change the default JPG size to as small as 1024x768 with two other sizes in between, so at that size your 50 images should transfer very fast!

My workflow has changed s bit recently since I bought the 1TB model of the WD MyPassport Wi-Fi drive. Especially when traveling, I now insert my SD card in the drive and all of the RAWs and JPGs are copied to the drive in their own folder. I can then access and view the JPGs from my iPhone or iPad (app for Android also available), open them in a mobile editing app, or share them from the drive using the free WD MyCloud app. It's my new "solution!" (http://www.infotor.com/blog/how-i-u...i-fi-hard-drive-at-out-of-chicago-conference/)
  10. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    If you want to backup hundreds of image files to an external device, a really good way is using the Ravpower WD03 WiFi device. Go to Amazon and search for it. Costs about $60, if I remember. I have a review of it on Amazon (name rah101, May1, 2015).

Using this device and an Android tablet, I was able to copy 210 raw plus 210 jpg images from an sd card to an external flash drive in 22 minutes. So it is an excellent backup solution, which may be what you want.

If you actually want the images on your phone (for Facebook or whatever), it mat not be so useful.

Let me know if this sounds like something you could use and if you are unable to find my review. I could post it here or send you an email with more info...
  11. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Is there a way to transfer the images to a PC via Wifi ?
  12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I know that, but it is still way too slow. The SD dongle on my iPad is way faster.
  13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia