1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-m10 Wear and Tear

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jul 30, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Just curious how the E-m10 holds up after a few months usage. I know the E-m5 was terrible both from personal experience and the numerous reports and complaints all over the internet. There doesn't seem to be as many or any at all from a first initial search so i was wondering if anyone has any input on this.
    I'm particularly interested in the top plate paint chipping. My e-m5 started fading around the edges within the first week and after about two months there were chips. Luckily Olympus HK replaced mine after I complained, with a better one that did not chip but that may be down to my extra careful handling of it.

2. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I'm mostly worried about the three dials, as they seem to be the most fickle part of the overall body.

3. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Yeah, I remember a few people complaining about the flimsy dials. From what I read, people who experienced them falling off seem to have had success gluing them back on.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've had my black E-M10 for 15 months and have had zero problems with any of the functions, dials, buttons or finish. Apart from wanting PDAF to eliminate occasional hunting and a larger EVF, the cameras has been completely trouble free.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    My first one was replaced because the battery door fell off. The replacement seems much more sturdy in that area. No problems so far with any other aspect of its build quality but then I've only had it a couple of months. It could do with better battery life, that's my only negative so far.

6. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Actually the battery life is surprising me.... three outings/trips, and still on full bars (one battery)

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I've never owned the E-M10 but my E-M1 after one year still looked brand new even though I used the camera on a daily basis. My E-M5 Mk.II after three months, again looks like new even though it goes with me every single day. No problems with either camera.

8. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Same here, the battery life has been surprisingly good. I've only ever had to swap the battery once on a very long and very active day out and for astrophotography long interval work it lasts longer than the Canon 700D did.

I've had mine nearly a year and no issues to report so far.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My wife has been using hers for over a year without any issues, it still looks great. I, too, am surprised at the battery life, I don't recall her ever changing a battery when we have been out all day. Nice little camera.

My E-M5 ii is carried daily and has no issues as well.

10. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I`ve had E-M10 a year and I can't see any tear and wear on it. Nothing to complain about here.

11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Battery life is an odd thing. Sometimes I can go several days without charging and other days, I'll deplete a battery and go onto a second battery pretty quickly. What's for sure is that my E-M5 Mk.II battery life is superior to that of my Fuji X100T without question.

12. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    The Em-10 seems to be getting a bit of a bum rap. I've had two and both have had zero issues, either with dials falling off, unusual wear, etc. I don't think I'd like them without the grip but the grips are very inexpensive. I've also owned a couple of Em-5's and I definitely prefer the 10.

My 12-40 Pro is practically glued to one of them and even with a big lens it's still very easy to use. Slap a Pana 20mm on it and it's like carrying a point and shoot. Very portable and comfortable.

The upside is that they're selling in the $350 range on the used market, which is absolutely dirt cheap. Great little cameras IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree that battery life is pretty good. The issue I have is the indicator is a little funny. The battery will last on 3 pips for a day or two of shooting, but once it drops to 2 pips its extinguished in only a few hours. If you see it hit 1 pip, you know it will die at anytime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    The only "wear and tear" i've seen are some expected scratches in the metal-colored part of the body.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't think your conclusion that the E-M5 is "terrible" in terms of "wear and tear" is a commonly held perception. Yes, there are some common issues apparently related to the design (e.g. the eyecup falling off), but I haven't experienced any issues with paint chipping like you describe nor have I read extensive reports of such.

16. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I've had mine since they first came in stock at B&H so, about 18 months of nearly every day use. I have had no problems at all, and the only cosmetic defects are a few tiny scuffs along the bottom edge and one fine scratch on the plastic pop up flash that must have happened some time last month on vacation.

17. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I've had mine for over a year and it's not marked in any way.

18. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I dropped my 15 month old E-M10 and the shutter quit working. So I sent it in for repair, and I bought a second E-M10. That is the only issue that I have had, and it was my fault. Happy customer here.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Has anyone tried the new EM10 battery, the BLS-50?

20. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Had mine 10 months now and the only mark is a small scratch on the rear screen where there was a little bit of sand on my cloth when cleaning it. This was totally my own fault and apart from that looks and works like new.

I purchased 2 spare batteries before I got the camera but I should have only purchased one as I have never used 2 in a day.

Great camera seems robust and would recommend to a friend.