E-M10 vs. GX7

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by madogvelkor, Jan 29, 2014.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Now that the E-M10 is out, how does it compare to the GX7?

The two are only $50 apart in price, and have a lot of similar features but rather different layouts and looks.
  2. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I came here this morning for this exact thread. I have been itching to buy the GX7 but knew this announcement was coming today. Now I'm not sure what to do. Am I wrong in thinking this EM10 is the same thing as the EM1 minus weather sealing and the 5 axis? I don't think I care about either of those two and I felt like the EM1 was too big for me. Decisions decisions...
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    More like an E-M5 without weather sealing and IBIS (i.e. no PDAF points), with WiFi. And a slightly newer image processor.
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I smile every time I pick my GX7 up. I bought into M43 because I wanted a compact system. For me, Panasonic has really nailed it. I don't expect that I'll ever again own one of those lumpy, bumpy camera bodies. I hope my next body will be a GX8 with fully articulated LCD.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    I like the rf style also. I think the basic difference will be the shutter speeds 1/4000sec w/ em10 vs 1/8000sec for gx7 and better evf w/ em10. Also I like the silent s-shutter w/ Panasonic cameras, eg no shutter vibration... If you do mf, peaking color of blue w/ gx7 is preferable to Oly's B&W unless they changed it w/ em10. GX7 is my first m43 Pana camera after e-p1,2,3, e-m5, & e-pl5.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It really seems like most people will make this choice based on style. Maybe Panasonic will start one of their patented price de-escalations to motivate folks to stay away from the E-M10.

As a mostly JPEG shooter I still default to Olympus, though the GX7 has tempted me (I like the RF styling).
  7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ...and without the 1/8000sec top shutter and 1/320th flash sync, and without the higher specd EVF. There are quite a few differences - its just a matter of whether they matter to you.
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Yeah. The features race (except for low light performance) has pretty much passed my needs. 1/4000 vs. 1/8000? Ho-hum.
  9. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    The EM5 doesn't have any of those features you mentioned, the evf in the em5 is the same refresh, 1/4000 shutter, and 1/250 xsync.
  10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I think black GX7 looks better than black E-M10, but silver E-M10 is much more handsome than silver GX7.

The E-M10 looks bigger than the GX7, but in fact the viewfinder hump makes almost no difference.

The GX7 EVF is higher spec'd, but I tried the camera the other day and was disappointed — in 4:3 the view is small and there is some color tearing. The EVF in the E-M5 (and, I suppose, the E-M10) is much better in everyday use.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. arf1410

arf1410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2014
    Bump... Trying to generate more discussion in this as I am agonizing over which one to buy...

Sent from my HTCONE using Mu-43 mobile app
  12. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I think its too close to really declare one or the other a winner. It will come down to which one suits one's needs a little more based on the minor differences between the camera's. Both are excellent camera's.
  13. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    It really does depend on which feature you value most. The image quality is so close these days that you can't really go wrong. Some people even pick the GX7 over the E-M1 because of the tilting EVF, some love it, some hate it.
  14. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    If you want us to tell you which one we prefer without having owned and shoot both for extended period and knowing what are your requierement, it's gonna be a long wait ;p
    Anyway I love my gx7, it's not perfect but it's close.
  15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I love it: www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=57513

I really don't know why someone would hate it; you're not required to use it, after all.
  16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I would get the Em10 because I didn't care for how Gx7 handles or its Evf. I would only get Gx7 if you like the boxy shape more and want the better video options.
  17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The other one. Seriously though, it depends on what you're looking for in terms of styling and ergonomics. The image quality is not meaningfully different. The way you interact with the cameras is. Personally, there's just something slightly off about the GX7 styling to me - I think it's the combination of the grip and the tilting viewfinder...
  18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Is the Panasonic video no longer leaps and bounds ahead of what Olympus offers? No one has mentioned it.

My two cents… GX7 is higher specced, has the ability to shoot in silent mode, moves the focus point with the touch screen while looking through the EVF, and has a tilting EVF. I've always disliked the ergos of the smaller Olympus cameras I've tried (EM5, EPL5), and although I haven't handled the EM10, my guess is that like the others, it would feel too small for my hands. Not only that, but Olympus removed the one feature that you couldn't get anywhere else by giving it only 3 axis IBIS (And Panasonic leveled the playing field with improved JPEGs OOC). I'm sure the Olympus can produce nice photos, but it has nothing to separate it from the pack. No 5 axis IBIS, old sensor… aside from price, it seems like more like the Olympus competitor to the G6 than the GX7.
  19. arf1410

arf1410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2014
    Hoping to purchase at end of February, and by then there should be more detailed reviews and initial user feedback. I liked the grip of the gx7 better than the EM5 and the EVF seemed sharper though maybe smaller on the GX7. Silent shutter mode seemed helpful too..

Sent from my HTCONE using Mu-43 mobile app
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    This is truly a decision that should be based largely on personal preferences. Any decent photographer could do fine work with either. This is when that lack of brick and mortar stores with mu43 inventories really hurts. OTOH, how wrong can you go with this decision? If I was a suspicious man, I might even suspect that the EM10 was aimed at competing with the GX7.