E-m10 vs GX7 at current prices

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by tkbslc, Feb 8, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry to make another one of these threads, but please forgive the indecisive newbie! I'll buy something this week and then stop asking so many annoying questions about what to buy. :redface:

So right now, I can get the GX7 for > $100 cheaper (new) than the E-M10. Looking at a quick spec comparison, it seems like the Panasonic has a bit larger viewfinder, better grip and build, no VF bump, and better video. Olympus might have faster AF and burst speed and possibly a bit better sensor and processor. Just saw that my local camera shop is selling the GX7 for $478 right now and throwing in a free ski ticket as a bonus! Cheapest I can find a E-M10 is $599.

Anything notable that i'm missing in the comparison?
  2. tkbslc

Starting to lean toward GX7 now the more I read about it. Seems to sit up there between an E-M5 and E-M1 and its selling for entry level price right now.
  3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Inbody IS is huge- I'd say go for EM10!
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The GX7 is the better specced camera, but its IBIS can't match the Oly cameras.
  5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    If your local camera store is selling it, then go and ask if you can have a play with it - what suits one person may not suit another. If it doesn't feel right then it may not be right for you. Even better if they (or another local shop) have an Olympus you can compare it to. Choosing a camera on tech specs alone may not make you happy. Note also that while the Olympus IBIS is better than the GX7 IBIS, if you are using Pansonic lenses with OIS, then this may not be a consideration.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I would say Gx7 viewfinder is actually a bit smaller in real life. I would say major difference is video but even then for casual use Ibis during video in Olympus is probably better than better but shaky in handheld use codec of Panasonic . 1/8000 shutter and electronic shutter of Panasonic is nice to have but is that something you use a lot ?
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Good advice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Specs are one thing, handling is another. Unless you can point to specific things/specs that makes one better FOR YOU; then handling is what matters. Personally I favor Olympus and the Super User Control panel over the Panasonic Q-menus, on screen function buttons, etc. I know Panasonic now has a recording program screen ( name? ), but I recall reading a review saying that selecting one of the items on the screen brings you to another screen to change the value. With the Olympus control panel you just select something to change and turn the dial to adjust, staying on that screen. For my style / usage that works best.
  9. tkbslc

Problem is that nobody carries Olympus anymore. I've never seen one in person.
  10. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    What camera are you using at the moment?

I've seen both in a shop (happy GX7 user here) and the more old-school slr styling of the Olympus isn't for me.

And if my next camera were to be an Olympus, it wouldn't be because I have any issue with the GX7 IS.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. tkbslc

I'm using a canon 60d. Looking to switch systems and ditch the big camera I'm leaving home too often.
  12. tkbslc

I live in a metro area of 2 million and the closest one that stocks e-m10 or e-m5 is a 5 hour drive.
  13. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    I use an EM10 and have other Lumix Bodies.

My own feeling is that IBIS with the floating sensor leaves you prone to shutter shock.
    My EM10 is a case in point where everyone was trying to convince me that it didn't suffer from shutter shock and yet I was convinced it did...later firmware proved I was right.

Comparing my stabilised Lumix and Sony lenses to the EM10's IBIS shows no benefit from body stabilisation.
    When used for ground-to-air shooting , my Lumix 100-300 can be sharper when used with it's own system or not used at all.
  14. tkbslc

Well thanks for all the opinions. I finally just went with my gut and ordered a GX7 so I can stop torturing myself with endless comparisons.

Now watch an amazing GX8 will be released tomorrow.... :smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If it is, you can bet that it will cost a lot more than what you paid for your GX7 ;-)
  16. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I personally, would push more toward the EM10. I did not like the feel of the GX7 in hand. Also, the EVF layout was not appealing for me either. I would definitely look at them both and handle them if you can.
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I recently was faced with the same choice. I went with the GX7. Better grip; better controls - both physically and in terms of user interface; much better focus peaking and magnify implementation; better EVF (my opinion); and the silent shutter.

Honestly though, the most important thing is how it feels in your hands and whether you want to use it. I couldn't get over the way the E-M10 felt and acted in my hands and I hated the UI, even though I was super excited when it was announced because it sounded like the perfect camera for me.

Tech specs matter a lot less now that nearly every interchangeable lens camera on the market will take great photos.
  18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Check out this guy web site (he is "Talanis" user here too) and his experience with GX7: http://www.mirrorlessjourney.com/
    GX8 is definitely coming soon - we've seen quite a sale of GX7 bodies for $399 before Christmas.
  19. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    I'm in the same dilemma!

I currently have the Olympus E-PL6 and my wife mentioned that she wanted to get me a new camera as an upgrade (because I've been a very good boy).. :)

I was pretty decided about the EM-10 already but after doing some reading, I'm starting to consider the GX7 with the P20 and I do have some questions for the GX7 users here.

- Since my lenses are all Olympus (17mm, 45mm), will there be any cons of using them on the GX7 body? Will focus speed become slower?
    - I've read that the P20 was somewhat slow to focus on Olympus bodies. Now I've never used the P20, but I assume the focus speed should be faster on the GX7 right?