E-M10 uses different battery than other OM-Ds, E-P5 (same battery as E-PM / E-PL cameras)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Just realized it: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/pen_power.cfm

Bummer for me as I was considering picking one up to go with my E-M1 and E-M5, but two battery types is a pain in the neck. For those looking to get an OMD to complement an E-PL or E-PM body, it's a plus!

Not sure why the E-M10 is listed as compatible with BLS-5 and not BLS-1. From what I have read, those two batteries fit in and work with the same cameras...

2. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    Not sure if it's true, but a while ago when Olympus released the BLS5 battery I've read somewhere that there was a new law in Japan which requires a charger to completely turn off once the battery is fully charged. That's what the 4th contact of the bls5 should be for and the bls1 didn't had. Otherwise they should be completely the same.

Since I've upgraded from a Pen I was happy that the E-M10 uses the same batteries. For people who upgrade it's fantastic, for the ones who want it as a backup it's not so good :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    The camera works with both the BLS1 and BLS5 batteries. (I have the EM10 and about 5 of each battery and they all work.) The difference between the 1 and 5 battery is in the electronics. The 5 is a "green" battery that tells the charger "HEY I AM FULLY CHARGED SO YOU CAN TURN YOURSELF OFF!!!". Otherwise the two batteries are the same. You can even interchange the chargers, though Olympus does suggest using the newer charger for the BLS5 batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Wait - so can the E-P5/E-M10 use the older Pen batteries (e-p3, e-pl3, etc) ?

Sent from my iPhone

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-P5, E-M1 & E-M5 use BLN-1 battery which is very different from BLS-1 or BLS-5 (not compatible at all).

E-M10, E-PL5, E-PM2 and all older Pens use BLS-1/BLS5 battery. As much as I like E-P5, E-M10 is the only body which makes sense to complement my E-PM2. For travel, sharing same batteries and charger is crucial.

E-M10/E-PM2 looks like a perfect dual body setup!

Those who own E-M1 should probably look into E-P5 as a second body...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I strongly value the ability to share batteries and chargers between cameras. Ended up selling my GX7 but would have kept it if it could share batteries with the E-M1.

8. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hello,

This might not be much of a consolation for folks looking for cameras with shared batteries, but the Stylus 1 also uses the BLS-5 battery, which can be convenient if you'd like to use the E-M10 with a prime and carry the Stylus 1 for more reach or perhaps a wider angle depending on the prime selected.

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think E-PM2 is currently much cheaper than Stylus. It is also smaller, lighter and offers an order of magnitude better IQ in virtually all shooting conditions.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It is, which is why Olympus's current setup is just aggravating Lots of people have E-M5s or E-M1s with Pens as backups, but the only way to share batteries now is to get the E-P5.

The obvious thing to do would have been to switch to the BLN-1 in the lower-end Pens as well. Yes, it's a slightly larger battery, and yes it would cost slightly more, but the advantages of standardizing on 1 design would more than outweigh those minor differences. If they weren't going to switch to the BLN-1 wholesale, they should never have introduced it. It's not as if it's drastically better than the BLS-5.

It's only smaller and lighter until you add a comparable lens. Once you do, the Stylus is far and away the more portable option.

11. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I have the E-M5 and one of the reasons I wanted the E-P5 after selling my E-P1 is that it used the same batteries. I've always had to carry separate batteries for my different cameras, and being able to share batteries and chargers is so convenient for me.

12. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I had a spare generic BLS-5 battery lying around from my E-PL5. The battery worked fine in the E-PL5, but was very sporadic in my E-M10. It would power up for a minute, then shut off. It would not turn back on until I put the OEM battery back in. Then I looked at the two batteries and noticed the OEM has a 4th gold connector that my generic one doesn't have.

13. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    The one with 3 connectors was the BLS1, not the BLS5. But even my old BLS1 battery from Ansmann works fine in my EM10, so I would guess that there is something wrong with your battery.

14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, the Stylus 1 in using that means I have to carry two sets of batteries when it is backing up my E-M5, but really, that isn't too much of a problem if it is only for day use where as it is more of a consideration for travel where both chargers are needed. It's even more of a pain if using cheap batteries that require their own charger as it was needed when the E-M5 first came out because of a lack of the Oly batteries (BLM-1).