1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 remote shooting issue using O.I. Share

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Theo, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I haven't used WiFi remote shooting with raw before. I will be helping to shoot a wedding party of 30 people that requires remote triggering (I want to include myself in the photos in group shots). I was testing WiFi remote shooting with jpg+raw on E-M10 this morning and surprised to find out that it does not produce raw files on the camera. I recently acquired a E-PL7, jpg+raw works with WiFi remote. Both cameras are set up the same for jpg+raw and have latest firmware. Is this a bug in O.I. Share version 2.6 on Android? Appreciate someone would confirm this. Worse comes to worse, I'll use E-PL7 with WiFi remote shooting.

2. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Works fine on my E-M10 though I use IOS not Android.

3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    hmm. Can't answer that. I do know that OI Share is not compatible with RAW files. If you shoot only raw the App won't find any images on the camera. A downside to the App that you can only import JPGs.

Are you sure the RAWs aren't there? Maybe they are, but you can't see them from the App. That would be normal...unfortunately.

4. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Hm, I don't have an iPhone so can't confirm a probable O.I. Share bug on Android. Others please try.

5. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I checked the SD card. The raw files aren't there. Another interesting thing is that I set up my E-M10 for 3:2 jpg format. The only files I got is 4:3 jpg on the SD card. Does work on my E-PL7 however.

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That's odd. I can live with the inconvenience of not importing RAW files, but not being able to shoot raw remote with OI Share limits its usefulness. I'll have to try it.

7. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I have the E-M10 and OI Share 2.6 on Android and I don't have this problem - I normally shoot Raw+Jpg with the intention of using the Raw, so I would certainly have noticed it. As others have noted the Raw files are invisible through the app, but they are created as normal on the SD card so the Raw files can be copied from the card in the normal way.

I have just tried to reproduce your problem and cannot do so - I also can't reproduce the aspect ratio behaviour you described (I get a jpg matching whatever aspect ratio I have chosen). I thought maybe there was some setting in the app that might conflict with the camera settings but I can't find anything like this - really only the basic shooting parameters can be changed through the app. Even if I change to iAuto (where the camera itself is in A mode) it still respects the Raw+jpg setting.

If you view your photos on the camera and use Info to get the most detailed display, it should display the file settings, e.g. "LN + RAW". What do you see after using the remote shutter? Does it reflect the settings you intended to use or what you have actually ended up with (i.e. jpg only)? If you shoot with the camera itself immediately after having this problem, does it go back to respecting your Raw+jpg setting?

8. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Yeah, real strange. When I remote shot, I get LSF as file setting when I review the photo. Then I shoot from the camera immediately without touching settings, I get LSF+raw on subsequent shots. Hm...

9. alan1972

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    The only difference I can see between your settings and mine is that I don't use SuperFine. It seems unlikely that should cause any issue but maybe just try one shot with LF+raw or LN+raw to be 100% sure. Aside from that we are using same camera, same app, same phone OS, same camera firmware - nothing comes to mind that would explain why we are getting different results. Also the fact that your E-PL7 is working as expected seems to rule out any issues on the phone/app end.

10. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    LSF+raw on E-PL7 remote shot correctly. I'll reinstall OI Share on my phone to see if it helps.

11. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Cleared OI Share cache and data and reinstalled it. Same problem. Tried LN+raw, but always got LSF in 4:3. No raw generated on SD. I'm frustrated. Only thing I haven't tried is reset my camera to factory setting. Not going to try that one.

12. alan1972

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I am pretty much out of ideas. Does this happen in both the Live View and Remote Shutter types of remote control? What happens if you choose Raw Only?

13. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I just tried Remote Shutter instead of Live View. Remote Shutter mode works perfectly.

If I only choose raw, it records in LSF at 4:3 in Live View mode. No raw produced in SD. Real strange.

14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Set your camera to Manual, Aperture, or Shutter priority, then set LF+RAW from the Super Control Panel - and try your Wi-Fi again.

15. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Negative, Clint. Same odd behavior. It only works correctly in Remote Shutter mode.
    I have a work around. Start OI Share in Live View mode, frame my shot, switch to Remote Shutter mode, fire. Works. Now I'm only wondering why no one else has this odd problem.

16. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The only think I can suggested is a total camera reset.

17. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I agree. Reset is the only thing I haven't tried. I may do that after the event.