E- M10 released today

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wairoakid, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Wairoakid

Wairoakid New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is on my list! Got a big trip this summer and hope it will be going along!

3. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I hope this doesn't cause anyone's panties to get into a twist. But the em10 compared to the fuji announcement, I can't help but feel like it's an anti-climax.

4. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I felt the same way this morning when I woke up to check numerous websites about the EM-10.
    But don't worry, this is not Olympus's flagship camera, but a entry level camera, so a little different than the Fuji X-T1 (that I pre-ordered).

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    It's on my list as well, but in no hurry to get it until I get a chance to read Robin Wong's take on it. No AA filter? How's the noise performance and AF performance. Finally, this is the body (hopefully) that will replace my aging E-PL1 and will hopefully take my older BLS-1 batteries (I have a few spares) and then relegate my E-PL1as a backup. Happy times ahead definitely and thank you Olympus for making such an affordable OMD body.

6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    This seems like an odd thing to complain about, but it seems rather small compared to the body I'm used to (which to me is just the right size):

EM10 epl2

7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    3 axis IBIS is adequate for handhold shooting and probably will have challenges dealing with macro shooting handheld. But most people use a tripod when they do macros anyhow. 3axis IBIS is only half stop as effective as the 5 axis IBIS. 5axis IBIS can do 4 stops whereas 3axis IBIS can do 3.5 stops. I like the E-M10 because it has a built-in flash which can act as a commander for my FL-36R slaves and this is a plus over the E-M5 or E-M1 where you have to attach an accessory flash to it and can use it immediately on the fly as an occasional fill flash like my E-PL1 does without having to fumble in my bag to find it.

8. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Not so sure about the 3 axis. I do a lot of telephoto with 300mm and love the IS in the EM5. When you use the optical zoom to maginify the image to tweak your focus, I can't imagine having less. I sometimes feel I can't even adequately tweak the focus with 5 axis...lol.

9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Which is why I carry along a monopod when I'm shooting with my 40-150r and @150mm it's sharp with no IBIS (heck a lot sharper than a Nikkor 70-300VR with its VR on). The IBIS on my E-PL1 is close to useless, but I think the IBIS on the E-M10 deals with yaw, pitch and roll which is going to be a real blessing with my monopod usage and upgrade to my E-PL1. And my Velbon Ultrastick R50 is pretty light anyhow -- I carry it with me if I plan to use my 40-150r.

10. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Yes, I do the same thing with a manual 300mm prime. I use the 3rd settng which is lateral movement unless it is really windy. I might then switch to 1. With that said at 14X optical magnification and 300mm.....it is still tough to dial that focus in exactly with 5 axis IBIS. About the only thing I miss on the EM5 is the 1/8000th shutter. That I could use. But if I were buying today I'd probably choose a used EM5 given the new firmware update.

11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I like to know what Truepic VII from the E-M1 that's in the E-M10 will do to the images. I had never liked the E-M5 because of the, I think, rather thick AA filter and the colors just don't pop as much as my E-PL1 which is why I skipped it. You had the same idea as me and wanting the 3/5 axis IBIS to work with me laterally and in windy conditions with a monopod. Anything better than my 4 year old body. The E-M10 offers all that in a light affordable package and if it can deliver E-M1 level images all the better!!

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You can't compare the two announcements. Olympus announced a new low end body and fuji announced a high end body. I bet Olympus sells more of them.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It has a very thin AA filter : my own testing showed me detail is actually higher than the e-pL1 but there's less 'pop',
    and the colour difference is very real.
    e-pL1 cannot be replaced.

14. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I think the E-M10 would be much more highly received if it had been released say 6 months ago, when used E-M5 prices were higher.

It may still sell fine at retail, compared to retail E-M5 pricing. But many enthusiasts (like members here) now would choose a refurbished or lightly used E-M5 instead.

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Who cares about IS :p, where is the phase detect?

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I was pretty sure I was going to pick up some kind of OM-D before spring. But the E-M1 is pricey, especially since I still have my Pentax DSLR kit. What's more, it would be a shame to buy an E-M1 without the 12-40mm zoom, which I can't afford now. The E-M10 is nice but I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't have WR. I thought that would be something that would set the entire OM-D line apart. Still, the three-axis IBIS doesn't upset me. I could also buy a leftover E-M5. I have some money at my disposal right now from the recent sale of a number of other cameras. But, given the cameras in my signature below - along with my Pentax kit - I'm of a mind to perhaps buy an Olympus Stylus 1 and maybe a Ricoh GR. Together, they'd cost about the price of an E-M1 body and I wouldn't need more lenses. And they'd be different from what I own now.

17. speedandstyle

???WR??? Wireless Remote?

I disagree because the prices have not come down much{although I bet they do now!}. Also the E-M10 has several features the E-M5 doesn't, for instance focus peaking. On the other hand there are some features the E-M5 has that many will never use, such as weatherproofing. They are two different cameras for different users. Now that there are 3 levels in the OM-D lineup, there will be an E-M5 replacement soon{I predict announced before the end of 2014}.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's bad when you quote yourself. :rolleyes: I checked Amazon US best sellers. The new Fuji is #1 & #2 in compact system cameras. The EM10 is 6, 7, 8, and 13 in various versions. The fuji does seem really popular. Folks just seem to love these retro SLR bodies.

19. speedandstyle

I like the looks and specs of the new Fuji X-T1 and the price isn't too bad considering BUT there are not a lot of lenses in the system and they are all high in price if not outrageously high. Tempted to get an X-T1 and just use it with adapted Nikkors but that seems a waste. Then Olympus announces the new E-M10 and several lenses{which are not overpriced} and I have lost the desire to switch to Fuji.

20. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Maybe going to get it when the price drops, if the 3 Axis still work on video