E-M10 overexposing

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Hi all

I have been playing with my new E-M10 and i notice a tendency to overexpose (blow outs in white) especially with faces, much more than any other olympus camera i have had? I saw this mentioned on a video review on youtube and wondered if anyone else has noticed this? and what you did about it? Generally i sort of trust the metering and check if it looks odd or I know the scene demands it, it would be a shame to always be tweaking with the EV comp with every/most shot.

Thanks!

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I thought that I had read the opposite about the E-M10, that's its metering was designed to protect highlights and as such it had a tendency to underexpose. Interesting. You could always see if changing the metering mode makes a difference for you. I for one tend to like center weighted average metering as opposed to evaluative.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
There's a setting somewhere in the menus that does a universal exposure shift. Once you set it you never notice it.

Fred

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
I noticed a similar thing where I had to pull down a lot of pictures from 1/3 to 2/3 and I found it strange. But the subjects were quite dark so in the end I think it was just normal.

Another option to handle these situations is to activate the "blinkies" during the shot, using the "highlight/shadow" display mode.

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Thanks all

I have been doing som more experimenting and i noticed the blow outs happened way more on A,S and M settings. When i used i-auto it look fine (i rarely used this mode!) I even recreated the i-auto settings in manual to compare. It was then that I noticed two things: One, that i-auto chose i-enhance picture mode by default (where as i always had it at natural. I did a load more tests and you can see on the histogram how the "natural" picture mode shifts it to the right - very odd. So I am leaving it on i-enhance for a bit

The second thing i noticed was the auto gradation was set to high on S mode. So that really threw things out!

I found the settings to change the exposure at a universal level but am still experimenting. I found another thread about this too so that was reassuring!

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
there is another thread with the same discussion here https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64479
I don't know, both the samples pictures look filled with very dark subjects to me, the first even more (grass, trees, brown and red stuff). So I would expect to have to compensate a little.

Maybe the matrix metering on the other cameras does some magic tricks, while the Olympus "ESP" metering works more like a simple average. From the olympus site:

"ESP/Digital ESP
This is your camera’s default metering mode. Exposure is based on light levels at the center of the image and also the surrounding areas. Some areas are more weighted than others. Digital ESP works well for almost all shooting situations except when there are larger, very bright or dark areas in the image area such as when a building is half in shadow and half in sun."

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom