1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 overexposing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by manju69, May 15, 2014.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi all

I have been playing with my new E-M10 and i notice a tendency to overexpose (blow outs in white) especially with faces, much more than any other olympus camera i have had? I saw this mentioned on a video review on youtube and wondered if anyone else has noticed this? and what you did about it? Generally i sort of trust the metering and check if it looks odd or I know the scene demands it, it would be a shame to always be tweaking with the EV comp with every/most shot.

Thanks!

2. bokehtime

bokehtime Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    I never had that problem with my E-M10 so far but just shoot manual, problem solved :biggrin:

3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I mostly use Aperture or shutter speed priority.

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I thought that I had read the opposite about the E-M10, that's its metering was designed to protect highlights and as such it had a tendency to underexpose. Interesting. You could always see if changing the metering mode makes a difference for you. I for one tend to like center weighted average metering as opposed to evaluative.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    There's a setting somewhere in the menus that does a universal exposure shift. Once you set it you never notice it.

Fred

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I noticed a similar thing where I had to pull down a lot of pictures from 1/3 to 2/3 and I found it strange. But the subjects were quite dark so in the end I think it was just normal.

Another option to handle these situations is to activate the "blinkies" during the shot, using the "highlight/shadow" display mode.

7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks all

I have been doing som more experimenting and i noticed the blow outs happened way more on A,S and M settings. When i used i-auto it look fine (i rarely used this mode!) I even recreated the i-auto settings in manual to compare. It was then that I noticed two things: One, that i-auto chose i-enhance picture mode by default (where as i always had it at natural. I did a load more tests and you can see on the histogram how the "natural" picture mode shifts it to the right - very odd. So I am leaving it on i-enhance for a bit

The second thing i noticed was the auto gradation was set to high on S mode. So that really threw things out!

I found the settings to change the exposure at a universal level but am still experimenting. I found another thread about this too so that was reassuring!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I don't know, both the samples pictures look filled with very dark subjects to me, the first even more (grass, trees, brown and red stuff). So I would expect to have to compensate a little.

Maybe the matrix metering on the other cameras does some magic tricks, while the Olympus "ESP" metering works more like a simple average. From the olympus site:

"ESP/Digital ESP
    This is your camera’s default metering mode. Exposure is based on light levels at the center of the image and also the surrounding areas. Some areas are more weighted than others. Digital ESP works well for almost all shooting situations except when there are larger, very bright or dark areas in the image area such as when a building is half in shadow and half in sun."

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you do not want to read the whole thread, you can skip to the last page and read the last few posts. User error on setting Auto Gradation (DR compensation).

--Ken

11. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks - very helpful