1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 or E-PL7 as backup?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hear me out, I already own an E-M10 an adore this camera. It's not a top spec'ed M43 body by any means, but the combination of style, size, performance and price makes it my favorite daily shooter. In fact I like it so much I'm considering getting another one! Though I've been looking at the E-PL7 and being the savvy mu-43 member, I'm going bet they'll come down in price in the next couple of months especially since the Pens are not popular in N. America!

My current backup is the E-PM2 with VF-4, I'm considering selling both items to invest in either an E-M10 -or- keep the VF-4, have a higher res EVF mainly for use with MF focusing (at the omission of the pop-up flash) and get the E-PL7. I'm looking at either of these cameras for the IBIS, newer image processing (mainly the CA removal) and battery compatibility. This may sound silly, but I sort of like the idea of the LCD flipping forward, because on occasion I like to take selfies with my kids! My main use for this camera is for street shooting, travel and family snaps. Spec-wise both should be identical in terms of function (IBIS, image processing), it's the difference in handling that has me thinking!

Anyways, I can't really decide as both have pros and cons. Which would you pick? :wink: :tongue:

2. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I am just curious, and don't mean to derail the thread, but if you're only using the cameras for family pics and traveling. Why even need a backup?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2013
    Porto, Portugal
    José Saraiva
    If your concern about handling is mostly regarding the controls, I've just setup my E-PL7 so that by pressing the shoulder buttons and turning the dial, I can get fast and easy acess to exposure compensation and ISO. This way, even with a single dial, I can easy change these, not forgeting that the dial alone lets you change aperture/shutter speed. So I don't miss the other dial at all.

If it's regarding grip, I believe it only makes a real difference vs E-M10 if you add the optional grip on the latter.

Since you have already the VF-4, IMHO this is a big plus for the E-PL7.

4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Agree with HaViet. But with that out of the way, if you're interested in a backup, why not make the EM-10 the backup and get an EM-1?:)

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My E-PL5 was not bad for a compact camera, but my EM's handle a whole lot better. If it was me, and the budget was not a big issue, I would opt for a second E-M10. Identical bodies, identical handling - very convenient.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think of a backup camera as something that I am NOT going to use except for emergencies. So it's something that is going to sit in the closet/bag loosing value.
    In this sense I see no reason in buying a brand new model that gives me nothing over the EM-10.

If you are looking for a second body (to use two at the same time) another EM-10 could be ok or something quite different as the GM-1/GM-5 for the smaller size to have both a backup and a something you can use on different occasions (the epl-7 is smaller, but not that much). No LCD flipping here.
    A good deal on an EPL-5 (edit: sorry, no lcd flip either)?

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, unless you're shooting commercially I would not buy a 'backup' camera. I have travelled with a 'true' backup once, and that was to Antarctica - what I enjoyed most about the 2 5D mark II's I had with me was the fact I didn't need to change the lenses in some pretty damn terrible weather conditions. For shots of family, regular travel, etc., I would not bother with a backup that isn't going to be used. You can always buy a new camera in a pinch should yours die unexpectedly, and as long as you're not travelling, it should only take a day or two to get to you if you buy mailorder.

Things to consider if you do need/want a backup for some reason: batteries (same batteries = handy) and handling. My personal choice for travel is to have three complementary cameras with me - the E-M1 (all-rounder), the A7r (resolution monster for people and landscapes) and the RX100 (for diving and for when I want something pocketable). If I didn't take the A7r along I would buy another E-M1.

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Beware! I got an E-P5 to use as a backup for my E-M5 because I wanted a little smaller body that took the same batteries and memory card. I looked at the E-P5 as smaller (without EVF) and my plan was to carry both with different lenses and if I needed an EVF I'd pull up the E-M5.
    Well low and behold after a short while I ended up loving the control layout and customizable options so much better on the E-P5 that I ended up selling the E-M5 for a refurbed VF-4 and another lens!
    If I were you, and you really love the E-M10, then I'd get another E-M10 (in a different color).

• Like Like x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think the E-PM2, especially with the VF4, is a perfectly capable backup. I'd spend my money on lenses.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Jonathan, you've been around long enough that I'm not going to talk handling and controls. If you're even considering keeping the the E-PM2 than you know the E-PL5 will handle better so .... Same with regard to the viewfinder, you know what you have and what you're looking at.

The only real question is how often do you take the E-PM2 out instead of the E-M10 because of the size? If the answer is never then get the second E-M10. Glue the 45 to one and swap the 15 thru 20 on the other. But if you at times do take the E-PM2 out for it's size then get the E-PL7. the physical body of the E-M10 is not much larger than the E-Pl7/E-PM2 but the viewfinder adds both height and depth that make one easily pocketable and the other not so much. But my last option if I were to vote is keep the E-PM2.

Kind of surprised the Panasonic LX100 isn't in the mix.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In your exact situation
    buying an e-pL7 will give you a combination of EVF + Stability which you do not currently have,
    in fact only E-M1 owners have it.

I also own a VF-4 and am considering the e-pL7 ... however I do not own any of the three OMD models ... but you do.

12. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    My $.02 would be to clarify what you mean by backup (only used if main camera dies or carry two bodies with different lenses) and to what extent is this a hobbyist interest. The hobbyist in me would want a different camera for the fun and variety. The serious shooter in me would want similar handling when I switched bodies. The budget maven in me would know about digital rot and try to get along with one body knowing tomorrow brings newer better toys.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have had a number of bodies over the last few years and we really like the E-M10. The slightly smaller size does make a difference. We have opted not to pick up the E-M1. We are considering picking up the E-PL7 to replace our E-PM1 and GM1. The E-PL7 is smaller and coupled with the EZ and/or a single prime would make a really nice travel, have with you always camera. However, the one of the main reasons that we are considering the E-PL7 is the UI should be very close or exactly like the E-M10's UI. That would make switching cameras very easy.

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey guys, just to clarify, It's a must I have a back-up camera. I've always shot in pairs and don't plan to change that. I went shooting again yesterday, and despite the nicer VF-4 on my E-PM2, I realized I just don't like having some huge appendage VF sticking out of my camera. I think in the end form factor might lean towards the E-M10's favor!

15. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Sounds like you're really asking which is a better replacement for the epm2. Since you already have the em10 Id say the epl7 is the right choice. The flip screen and wifi will be great with the kids. I use the wifi on my ep5 on a daily basis now. Whatever I shoot is instantly on my phone and I can share it. Besides if you have both the em10 and epl7 than you will have the best of both worlds.

16. RubL

RubL Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2014
    Málaga (Spain)
    I have a EM-10 and a EPL5 so I think that the EPL7 as backup camera is a right choice.

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    And that was exactly how I felt moving from the E-PL's to the E-M line. The VF's were better than nothing, but having a built-in EVF is just way better for my needs, and it sound like you feel the same.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    OK. If you like to shoot with two cameras, then the best choice is the EM10. If your switch back and forth, e.g., tele on one, wide/normal on the other, then it's much easier to have the two of the same body since the controls are in the same place.

• Like Like x 1
  19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Figured as much, it's one of the things making me look at the LX100. It can fill the middle with the E-M1 doing the heavy lifting and handling the ends of wide and tele.

One school of thought. I've been on both sides of this at different times. Same body means easy transition, not thinking going from one to the other. The other side of the coin is to have a second that offers something the other does not. Size, video, etc. I'm actually considering selling off my E-P5 for an LX100 or RX100 m3. Size of the Rx100 being a big advantage.

20. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I find E-PM2 is a perfect backup for E-M10. I only need backup in good light so no need for IBIS. I usually have Panny 14mm or O45 mounted on E-PM2. Images from both cameras are identical.