E-M10 not working with Remote cable (RM–UC1)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by randyspan, Jun 21, 2014.

1. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Is there any setup (I can't find it!) to use the Remote cable (RM–UC1) for shutter actuation? Or maybe I just got a bad one!

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Olympus remote apps is way to go, IOS or android.

3. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    But I want to 'hold' the shutter open for astrophotography time exposure.

4. hrtrulz

hrtrulz New to Mu-43

Mar 30, 2014
    Use live time or live bulb with the app. You click the shutter button to open shutter then again to close shutter.

5. Medley

Medley Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    Are you trying to use a 3rd party remote or Olympus' own? I have an E-M10 and bought one of those programmable ones on eBay. I never got it to work; I concluded that the molding around the connector prohibited me from inserting it completely. I bought a second one, different type, still 3rd party and of the classic Olympus type. It works fine. BTW, for those advocating the wireless app instead of a remote, the app is great but has its limitations in that the wireless signal from the camera is very short range and you can lose connectivity if your camera is more than a couple of feet away. This imposes some constraints that a remote can solve. That's why I bought one.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It could be a bad contact in the remote, assuming that the USB connection works in other respects. I have two eBay remotes and they work fine with my Pen cameras and E-M1, so the logical culprit would be the remote. It's pretty simple to open the casing to check that all is in order inside, so I'd have a look at that in the first instance.

Here's a photo of my RM-CB1, which I assume would be similar to the USB version, and you can see a sliver of plastic between the top and middle contacts to lift the top contact, which I had to insert because mine also played up (can't now remember exactly in what way):

remote.

• Like Like x 1
  7. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    It's third party. After seeing your exploded view, I took mine apart amd the contacts are working ok (with multimeter). So the problem must be in the plug?

8. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Just now got it working ! Plastic was not letting it insert completely. Thanks all for the good help!

9. Medley

Medley Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    Yup. It's a pretty tight fit under that cover.

10. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    That's the solution with most 3rd party cables. I also had to remove a little plastic cover from the plug and then it worked without any issues.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sloppy fit at connector was the problem with the many units I tried. Quick work with and exacto knife got things working fine.

12. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Hmm, thanks for this post, I bought a timer remote cable a few years ago for taking meteor showers and never could get it to work.. was so cheap I just forgot about it.. will check the connector, although that was for the EM5 and I have EM1 now, not sure the setup is the same