E-M10 need of repair / upgrade to E-M10 II or ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by roxbury29, Aug 27, 2016.

1. roxbury29

roxbury29 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2016
    Indiana
    Marc
    Hello, ran into some issues with my E-M10, have several lenses, batteries.
    love the camera. had seveal problems after an encouter with "water" hiking. do not often need water proof, though. Only issue lately is No Flash.

Should I up upgrade to E-M10 Mark II ( this week sale with Olympus ) $ US 549
    and a Pro lens 14-40mm ( $699 )

curious on your thoughts, or advise.

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    The "Pro" lens is 12-40mm (rather than 14). If you had water issues with your E-M10 and may be using a new camera in the same conditions, since the 12-40mm Pro is also weather and dust sealed, perhaps a weather and dust sealed body to go with it? E-M5, E-M5 Mark II, and E-M1? Or wait for the new E-M1 Mark II but that may not be available for a while.

If you were using one of the "kit" lenses, then upgrading to the 12-40mm Pro is probably a great investment in yourself regardless of which body you go with or even stick with your current body. The lens can move up with you to new bodies so more an investment than an expense.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If money's not an issue, the 12-40mm is sort of a no-brainer - it's a fantastic performer, and it makes a great companion for any (stabilised) :mu43: body. The only other concern may be size and weight, but frankly, it's far from huge in absolute terms, and performance more than makes up for any perceived disadvantages.

PakkyT is right about environmental sealing, and if your situation is as he inferred, I'd also recommend an E-M5 (I'd personally go with the Mk II ...) if you think about replacing the camera body. That said, I myself am so satisfied with the E-M10 (I) that none of the newer Olympus bodies appealed enough to actually replace it (even though all of them are greater and better on paper). So, if I were in your place, I'd actually get a quote on service/repair before writing off the camera.

Besides, $549 doesn't strike me as a particularily great deal on the E-M10 II - just a fair price ...

M.

4. roxbury29

roxbury29 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2016
    Indiana
    Marc
    Hi, as far as the lens I use most - its the 14-150mm ( vacations and everyday ) use.
    wasn't sure how much better the Pro would be. Since I was consiering a new Body, I thought I would pick up
    the pro lens ( and water doesn't usually make me nervous ) ..

I looked into the repair ( Olympus ) approx $200 / plus freight both ways.
    Moonmind - I see you have the lenses I use too ( do you ever use the 14-150mm ) or just the Pro?12-40mm

I considered just picking up a small flash to see if that works, enough to get me by for the next year and then
    rationally make a decision. Like the idea of E-M10 utilizing the same batteries/charger.

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @roxbury29@roxbury29 I use both lenses regularily, but the 12-40mm is my most-used :mu43: lens and practically lives on the E-M10 (with ECG-1 grip). IQ is heads and shoulders above the 14-150mm II on all counts, even wide open.

That said, I really like the super zoom - it gives me decent image quality and is, as it should be, supremely versatile; it's actually my preferred travel lens, paired up with a bright prime - either the 17mm f/1.8 or the 25mm f/1.8 (mostly the latter at the moment). Actually, I'd see one of those two primes as an interesting alternative to the 12-40mm since you already own the 14-150mm - especially the 25mm is desirable because it's optically at least as good as the PRO zoom while being more than a stop faster; it's also very light and pretty small.

But to make my own assessment clear, I'll say this: The 12-40mm is quite probably the last lens I'd let go for :mu43:; it's certainly one of the lenses that makes me keep using the system.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Olympus US has E-M10 refurb bodies for $279. Maybe an alternative to getting your body repaired. Especially if they have another 20% sale over the labor day weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. roxbury29

roxbury29 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2016
    Indiana
    Marc
    Hi , thank you.
    I don't really use my 25mm lens much( or the kit lens 14-42mm), seems to always grab the 14-150mm.
    I will not make a hasty decision and look around for a Pro lens ( seem to be 600 used, 700-800 new )
    almost ordered the OMD E-M10 II and 12-40mm pro from Olympus $549 and the lens is 699.

Also, do often take short indoor video's and overall the E-M10 I, takes pretty good video . i never had issues
    at 1080-30fps.

No stores carry the E-M5 or E-M1( near me ) , so I cannot get a feel for it, I did check out the E-M10 II and seemed to be Very similar in Feel as the Mark I E-M10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dawid Fraczek

Dawid Fraczek New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2016
    Dave
    I signed up to to reply to this thread,...

To make your decision even harder, you can get the "International" version of the E-M10 II for just ~$430 on ebay. I went this route, and I got a real E-M10 II I got from Korea, still sealed in box. Although I had to swap out the charger cable so that I didn't have to use an adapter.

I also recently purchased a 2nd hand E-M10 for $330, I wish I had known where to get the refurbs. :crying:

9. roxbury29

roxbury29 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2016
    Indiana
    Marc
    ^ thanks - I checked Olympus - they have a Refurb E-M10 for $279 / Wasn't sure about getting an "International" one . had me worried that it would not work in the US. I am leaning more toward getting an E-M10 II, just like the feel of my E-M10 and of course all my batteries will work, has a flash and inexpensive enough for me to pick-up the Pro Lens ( 12-40mm )

10. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    So, the camera works, but only the flash doesn't?
    Are you using the flash that often?
    If no: why buy a new one.
    If yes: do you have extra space to maybe try and carry an external flash with you? You get more flexibility with an external one :) Budget and size can spread quite a bit. Small: Nissin i40. Unfortunately the small Olympus FLM series might not work with the EM10

11. roxbury29

roxbury29 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2016
    Indiana
    Marc
    ^ yes, everything works now. it didn't a few weeks ago. EXCEPT the Flash :( I don't know if an external one will work, there are no stores here near me where I can pick one up just to try. does anyone know if the FL-LM3 might work ? or even the BOLT VC-260 they appear small and compact - reasonably priced too..
    The Nissin i40 is a little more than I would want to spend - just to try

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  12. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    The olympus webpage says that it will only work with the E-m5 II

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. roxbury29

roxbury29 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2016
    Indiana
    Marc
    Thanks, I might try the VC-260 Bolt ( mini-flash ) if it works. I have several old flash's from my old Canon Film AE1 camera's I wish they were compatible... :(

14. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Can you run them manually?
    If they fit in, you can check if the trigger contact on your camera can still trigger the flash.
    I am using a manual flash designed for Nikon or Canon (can't remember) on a EM10 and it works only with the trigger contact.

Edit: Or might there be an issue with voltage drain through the connector? I am running a "modern" Yongnuo, please check on the internet if you can actually connect them

15. roxbury29

roxbury29 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2016
    Indiana
    Marc
    Hi, thanks. I tried the old flash I had from by 35mm Canon. it did not work
    with my OMD :(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016