E-M10 My Sets

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
Can those who use MySet please describe how they use it and when they use it? I understand that it creates discrete usage environments, but I'm having trouble 'getting' how/when I would use it. Maybe I don't need it, and that is why! I just don't know at this point.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
Can those who use MySet please describe how they use it and when they use it? I understand that it creates discrete usage environments, but I'm having trouble 'getting' how/when I would use it. Maybe I don't need it, and that is why! I just don't know at this point.
I have used Mysets on my SP500UZ, but with my E-M10, I still haven't found the need.

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
I think it is most useful when you assign a MySet to the mode dial. For example, I spend a lot of time in Aperture Priority so I created a MySet with my most commonly used settings and set up the A dial to "MySet 1" now when I turn on the camera and put it in Aperture Priority I always know what settings I'm starting from and don't have to look at the SCP to see if I'm set up correctly. I don't use the Art filters so I have the "Art" dial position set for my preferred Monochrome settings (MySet 2) so with a turn of the dial I can shoot in monochrome/RAW+JPG and then quickly switch back to my preferred A settings by turning the dial to A.

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz
GBarrington, agree with Wendy and that is one of the beauties of the E-M10 (and some other Oly models), i.e., being able to assign MySet profiles to Mode Dial positions. When assigned to buttons, the MySet configuration is only active as long as you hold down the button! Not as useful, IMO. Another lesson I learned in experimenting with MySet configurations is that ALL current settings of the camera are recorded to the MySet you create! That is, current SS, aperture, ISO, focusing setting, meter setting, current image review time, everything! So think carefully about what you want set in a specific way and the things that can stay at their normal default BEFORE you create the MySet. Not too big a deal, as it is easy to recreate MySets but this is something I did not realize at first as this level of customization on a camera was something I had never experienced on my Canon cameras!

At the risk of some user thinking me a "vulture" (as I was characterized recently!) or simply someone trying to get hits on his web site (I am not!), let me share a recent article I wrote, GBarrington, in which I go into more detail about my thought process and resulting MySet creations: http://www.infotor.com/blog/the-mor...fine-tune-the-customization-of-my-om-d-e-m10/.

To summarize, similar to Wendy, I prefer one shooting mode, in my case it's Manual, so I have all four of my MySets configured to use the Manual Shooting mode. However, I vary each depending on how and what I plan to start shooting. So, I have a MySet set to 1/250 sec, f/4, ISO400, and image review to 0 seconds. Manual Mode. This MySet is assigned to the "A" position on my Mode Dial for "Action," that is when I'm shooting a sporting event, for example. The "M" position has a MySet that is configured for the Monotone Picture Mode (B&W) with Contrast and Sharpness both set to +2. Shutter speed is set to 1/125 sec, aperture f/5.6, ISO to 200, and image review to 2 seconds. You get the idea. I then have MySets for when I use flash, when I shoot in color but don't need RAW, and, finally, in color with RAW+JPG.

Bill Booz
http://www.infotor.com/blog

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
Bill, It was your posts here and on your blog that helped me understand the usefulness of MySets and how best to use them, so thanks!

Guena

New to Mu-43
Hi guys.
Is it possible in aperture mode to set aperture with the front dial instead of the back dial ?
I found the back dial difficult to reach with my thumb.
If yes, is it with Myset or in the standard settings of the EM10 ?
Thanks.

Envoyé de mon ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T en utilisant Tapatalk

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
Guena,

Yes, I also shifted it to the front dial in Aperture mode because that was most comfortable to me. It's in the standard settings in the Custom Menu (with the gear icon).

Custom Menu B (Button/Dial) --> Dial Function --> A

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks Guys, and espescially to Bill B. I feel like I've gotten a grip on the MySet issue. I suspect I'm just too new to M4/3s at this point to have linked in my mind the common settings and situations I find myself in.

BTW Bill: I don't think you are a "vulture" for directing people to your blog. I also have a personal blog on google blogger where I spout off on things photographic. Why constantly re write the same stuff over and over again when you can just add a link when it's appropriate? I don't really write about m4/3s really, mostly just about PP with ACDSee Pro and PSP X6,with just a bit of m4/3s tossed in. http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/

I haven't mentioned it (YET!) because I didn't want to be perceived as joining JUST to promote my blog. For me, the DPR m4/3s forum is nice enough, but the participants keep it more as an advocacy forum and less as an issues and usage forum and this looks promising. But if something I've already written can contribute, you can bet I will mention it!

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
I mostly customized the function buttons: I have two twins MySet for normal shooting in A and M flavour (back focus, AF/MF switch, max 1600 iso, etc.) and one for manual focus lenses (peaking, magnify, etc.).

I assigned these the the mode dial (Art, Scn and "squares"). The only problem is that the mode dial does not change the function buttons so to switch to and from the manual focus mode I have to go into the menu. But that usually means a lens change too, so it's acceptable.

I like the idea of a Monotone mode.

Thanks Bill from me too, I discovered all the MySet options and tricks on your blog.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I mainly use it for long exposure settings when I need mirror lockup/noise reduction (dark frame subtraction), low ISO and delay shutter. It's much quick, less chance of forgetting something and when I'm ready to go back to "normal" shooting I might forget to turn off shutter delay/or dark frame subtraction....that's annoying and you miss a shot.

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
What is "back focus"? I see it mentioned occasionally, but I've been unable to determine what it is referring to.

"Back button focus" is when you use a dedicated button, usually on the back of the camera, to activate AF. Typically you do this keeping the camera on manual focus or disabling the activation of AF at the shutter button half-press. In the end the camera auto focus only when requested with a dedicated button.

I configured the "rec" button to switch from AF/MF and the Fn1 button as AEL. Then I changed the MF mode to "mode 3".
So when I am in AF mode the Fn1 acts as "exposure lock" and when I switch to MF mode the same Fn1 activate the AF.
So I can use the rec button to switch from normal AF to manual with back button AF. It's like "Pimp my MF!".
It works fine, and is perfect for "focus and recompose" because the exposure metering is done after the "recompose".

Here is a detailed description of the procedure where he customizes the AF-S mode instead:

http://robknightphotography.com/back-button-focus-on-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5/

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz
Thanks, Klorenzo and GBarrington, for the confirmation that my links are useful and not just "bait" to get people to my web site! Much appreciated. I guess many folks do do that, but I have no alternative motive such as increasing numbers to get sponsors, furthest thing from my mind. I've been in the web/Internet game since before there was a WWW...remember Gopher (University of Minnesota, 1991) and Lynx (University of Kansas, 1992)? Those were the days, as they say, and we were so excited to be able to interlink info in these text-based hyperlink environments. Wow! But back to 2014, I'm happy you all DO understand the value of, GBarrington said, publishing once and linking to it!

Bill Booz

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz
I've updated my settings yet again! I have realized that sometimes I like the camera to stay set to the way it was when I turned it off. For example, one of my MySet configurations has most things as I would normally want them (e.g., WB, Picture Mode, image quality, etc.), but the shutter speed at 1/125 sec, aperture at f/4, and ISO at 200. If I happen to be shooting in conditions where I need to change my exposure controls to, say, 1/30, f/2.8, and 800, respectively, and I shut off the camera to save battery power, I want those same settings when I power up the camera again. The complete description is here: http://www.infotor.com/blog/olympus-customization-further-refinement-of-my-e-m10-mode-dial-setup/.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use mysets to configure the camera to a previously programmed state. For instance I have mysets for outdoor, indoor, studio, and low light. The thing is you can change a million different settings, but next time in different lighting you have to try and remember what you changed last time.

With mysets I can reset the camera to a specific starting point, and then change the specific settings I need for that particular shoot without having to worry that some obscure setting may still be changed from the last shoot.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
I have created a couple of MySets to reconfigure the programmable buttons according to what lens I've mounted. When I use my Samyang fisheye, which is completely manual, I want to be able to quickly turn on manual focus assist, for example. When I have my intelligent lenses mounted, I want to be able to quickly switch between AF and MF, all without moving my eye away from the EVF. I forget what other changes are configured for each MySet, but I've found them very useful to tailor my camera's configuration depending on what lens I'm using.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks, Klorenzo and GBarrington, for the confirmation that my links are useful and not just "bait" to get people to my web site! Much appreciated. I guess many folks do do that, but I have no alternative motive such as increasing numbers to get sponsors, furthest thing from my mind. I've been in the web/Internet game since before there was a WWW...remember Gopher (University of Minnesota, 1991) and Lynx (University of Kansas, 1992)? Those were the days, as they say, and we were so excited to be able to interlink info in these text-based hyperlink environments. Wow! But back to 2014, I'm happy you all DO understand the value of, GBarrington said, publishing once and linking to it!

Bill Booz

Ah, Gopher. I remember it well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom