1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 mode dial fell off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sushi, Feb 7, 2015.

1. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    So sad :(

So.... The mode dial on my E-M10 just fell off, I don't think I handled the camera roughly. It's exactly what happened to this guy http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54765062

54c67696678b4f81adc72a8b392f7050.

Don't really know what to do... I bought the OMD from Amazon US in March 2014, but now I am in Brunei... don't think they have an Olympus store here :sad010:

I'll try messaging Olympus first and see where's the nearest repair centre that I could send it to...

2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It should be covered by warranty if you're happy to post it. Hope you obtain a successful outcome.

Let's hope the EM5 Mk II is built from sturdier materials.

3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    That sucks, I hope mine holds up. Let us know the outcome.

4. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Now I'm nervous~ I don't have a USA version!

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Olympus has 1 year international warranty so it should be repaired without any cost. Besides that is just routine repair for OM-D line, your camera is behaving normally because the dial fell off. I've had one Pen and two O-MD bodies serviced under warranty during last 12 months. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    Not too worried about warranty, it's still under warranty. But I'm more concerned about where to send it, as my country has no olympus repair portal, the closest one is Singapore.

Emailed Olympus already and going to see a camera store tomorrow to see if they can help fix it or send it somewhere.

7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    No desire to start a Olympus vs Panasonic flamewar (there's enough of that between the Canon and Nikon camps), but I have been disappointed by the relatively delicate build of the Olympus bodies. I started in m43 with some PENs, but recently changed over to the Panasonic GX, and I found the the latter to be more robust in build quality. As I have been an Olympus fan since the OM1 days, I would like to see them improve in this area.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I've never sent my E-P3 (currently owned it for 4 years now) in for repair, but only two things happened to it:
    - The mode dial cover fell off,but it was just a piece of metal no, screws or anything. And looks like it was just the glue that weakened and got popped off in my bag. So I simply used a tiny amount of glue to put it back on, and that's been fine ever since.
    - The little battery door latch seems to have broken where it no longer snaps into place when closing, have to manually pull the lever closed into place (like maybe the spring died behind it), Not an issue most of the time now that I'm aware of it, and because when I use the quick release plate it keeps that door shut (annoying though design wise because I'd need to remove the quick release plate in order to change the card or battery).

I have had one odd situation where I turned on the camera, and all it's settings were completely reset to factory default, but it hasn't done that since that one time.

My E-M5 (bought used) is currently at Olympus (at the Precision camera location) for repair of a sticky shutter (darker exposures above 1/1000th, sometimes black at 1/4000th).

I've never owned any of the lower end Pens as I've avoided anything that seemed like it had a plastic body when I was shopping around at the time and ended up with that E-P3.

9. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Oly has to up their game as far as build quality- I've heard of a few issues with dials etc failing- definitely not good!

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Well I was just going to ask something similar last night when I saw this, but resisted for fear of the same.

I recall the GH1 lug problem, but nothing really else. Is Panasonic just making more solid cameras or do we only hear about Oly because (to my observation) the Oly owners are more vocal?

BTW I pulled my GH-1 apart when the lugs started to show some movement to find that Panasonic seems to have changed that attachment on my camera (and perhaps later models)

11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I guess it depends on the market, strictly speaking of Panasonic M-4/3 cameras how strong are they in the consumer market such as in the United States? (I rarely see Olympus around these parts, but I rarely see Panasonic M-4/3rd as well, I'm more likely to see a Sony mirrorless, otherwise it's either permanent lens camera or a DSLR). And is that market share higher than Olympus? If they are equal, then it's either that Olympus does have more build issues, or that Olympus users are more vocal about it. It's also possible that they're more vocal about it if one of the major buying purposes is the semi-retro aesthetics. (as weird as it is, 4 years ago when I was shopping around, Panasonic's offering seemed to look too much like everything else on the market like Sony, etc, so that did have some factor for going with Olympus, plus having used Olympus before in film).

I will say though, that if I were only basing my experience on say the E-P3 since I've had it for 4 years now, it's been quite reliable and it's already a year and a half past the point that I would have expected to see some major issues in most cameras I've touched. It is my hope that when the E-M5 comes back (which I bought used, so it'll be coming back refurbished up to 'manufacture spec') that it will last me just as long as my 'goal' will be to eventually get something like an E-M5 Mk 2 next year or the year after, which by then maybe the E-P3 will die and the 1st gen EM-5 may become the backup (my plan is to always have two bodies that can take M-4/3 lens, if the E-P3 does I'll likely replace it with something as compact to be the smaller component to the larger EM-* line)

Edit: I do remember one more thing Olympus wise. The chrome ring in front of the 17mm f/2.8 fell off middle of last year, somewhere into the river, no clue where it went. So it's basically just a blue trim there but does not appear to affect functionality as it appears to be primarily cosmetics as it was just glued on there.

12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I'm not an industrial designer or a product engineer, but I sometimes question Olympus' product design and choice of materials.

When a frequently used dial falls off because it's glued on, or the LED bezel cracks because it's made of cheap plastic, or a lens mount on a PRO lens breaks off because the metal mount is screwed into plastic, one wonders what other shortcuts and cost-cutting measures are being taken.

Panasonic, on the other hand, comes from the world of manufacturing consumer durables, so they know how to build a robust product, and I think it shows in their cameras and lenses.

Having used Canon gear for the past 35 years, I'm used to gear that doesn't break, and that keeps looking good. At this point, I feel like Panasonic has the edge over Olympus.

13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Following on (post #12), perhaps it's a numbers game. Maybe there's more Olympus users out there, hence a higher number of problems being reported.
    I've heard of a few professional users using M43, I wonder how they get on when their job depends on the camera. Perhaps they buy M4/3 cameras in boxes of ten, just like anything disposable.

14. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
    Yeah Olympus build quality is certainly iffy. My E-M10 is fine at the moment but I lost the shutter button cover on my E-PL5 when it fell off after about 2 weeks.

15. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I just can't fathom an item as expensive as a new digital camera having such poor design or workmanship no matter the manufacturer. I have the EPL2 and a G3 (love them both) and both seem to be built very robustly . . . something has changed in the last couple years. Any ideas what?

16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've learned some things about my (used) gear from this thread: one, my 17mm 2.8 is missing its chrome ring (just blue for me, always wondered why they chose blue trim...) and the battery compartment cover on my EM10 is also exhibiting the worn spring that makes me have to manually slide the lock closed. Thought that was a weird feature too!

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

17. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    Ok, front dial of my EM10 suddenly stop working :mad:
    I also have E500 (2006) and EPL1 (2010) which still work normally.
    So this is the first time Oly camera fail on me ...

What's wrong with OMD dials? I found same problems on other users ...

18. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Olympus' cost-cutting has gone too far IMO. I've had components fail on both my E-P5 (2x) and E-M10. Such a shame because the system would be the most attractive for my uses otherwise.

19. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    There are a lot of small things that makes me angry for being an Olympus fanb*y

P2081783.JPG

20150106-P1061679-Small.

20140214-20140214_171117-Small.

But when I'm viewing the output, I forgive those little things because they really don't mean much in the big picture: Some call it "the life".

20141022-ZA220019-Small.

20140907-EB070339-Small.

20140821-EB210278-Small.

• Like Like x 5
  20. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Kind of sad when you see that kind of thing on their "pro" lens.