E-M10 Mk2: L-Fn ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SteveLedger, Jan 21, 2016.

1. SteveLedger

SteveLedger Guest

New to the Oly menu system, coming from the simplicity of the tabbed layout of the Pentax system I'm finding Oly's menu non-intuitive to say the least. Anyway, I'll get there.
    But for the moment I'm not clear on 'B' Button/Dial>>Button function>>2nd screen>>L-Fn
    I can find no explanation in the manual (page 100) so I have no clue yet where L-Fn is? It's certainly not a button on the body. If it's a button on the touch screen, well I can't see that either.
    Would appreciate help?
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lens Function button. Some Olympus lenses (e.g., Pro zooms, 12-50mm) have another button (labelled L-Fn) on them that can be customised.
  3. SteveLedger

SteveLedger Guest

Thanks, odd there's nothing about that caveat in the manual, even in section 8. To my way of thinking the manual is about the 'body', not the lenses.
    Besides, many of the functions assignable to the L-Fn button are unrelated to the lens.
    Not that I don't accept your explanation - it's just seems illogical to my mind.
    Thanks again wjiang.
  4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Agree that this could be better explained but this is a very nice additional feature which is unique ?? to Olympus and yet another aide to customisation of their camera / lens packages
    Something to be appreciated imo
  5. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    There are other things that are confusing with Olympus, like "quality setting" is an icon instead of text in the setup, for which I guess 99.9% of the users won't recognize what it is without looking that the options available / consulting the manual...
  6. SteveLedger

SteveLedger Guest

Or a just marketing ploy to promote sales of the [more expensive] lenses which have that Fn button :D
  7. allanb

allanb New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    G'day Mate. My MZuiko 12-50 f3.5-6.3 has the L-Fn function button, which I set to digital zoom in menu B from the gears folder (Digital Tele- converter=on).
    That gives me essentially double zoom through the focal range of this lens by a push of a button. The lens itself was a kit lens on some of the earlier E models and is not really expensive and readily available secondhand.