1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 mk ii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Jul 30, 2015.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Me either. I can't think of any reason to change from the E-M10 to the E-M10 Mk.II. Some people didn't like the power switch location, but I can't think of anything else that can be changed on this camera without sliding into E-M5/E-M1 territory.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's 1.5 years old.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Well, I hope this good news for a soon to be announced 4K E-M1 mk ii!

5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Looks like a watered down E-M5 Mk.II with it's beefier dials, location of Fn buttons on top as well as the shape of the grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    If it includes EFCS with focusing in burst like my E-M5II, I'm in.

7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    What ever happened to manufacturing a camera and then sticking with it for 5 years? (The Pentax K-1000 was manufactured from 1976 – 1997.)

Thankfully I am not one of those who has to have the latest and greatest. That leaves more money available for enjoying life's adventures.

I always run two cameras of similar vintage. Purchased my Pentax istD in 2003 and a Pentax K-110D in 2006. These were upgraded by a K-5 in 2011 and a K-5IIs in 2013. That means I should be ready for a new 4/3 camera to replace my two E-M10’s in 2022 if I live that long.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think it's about having the latest & greatest but to be competitive in the market with an (attempted) up to date entry level OM-D. New buyers will either be thrifty & buy the last model cheaply or "be up with the Jones's" with the latest (entry) model.

9. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Just wondering what's the features that EM10 Mk II offers ;)

But no wonder in my country EM10 was on sale, bundling with the BCL-9 hmm about US$820

Still i feels the high jump of technology will be the EM-1 Mark II. Can wait to see it.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Can't say I like the dial positioning from an aesthetic perspective.

oly_e-m10m2_silver_t001.

All three dials crammed in on the right looks very cramped and despite efforts to make it look bigger, the on/off switch looks lost onthe left. Odd design decision. I prefer the old layout with the mode dial on the left.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ross the fiddler

It is interesting how each design has developed. Here are the E-M1, E-M5 II & E-M10 II all together to compare the differences of the top view.
    Z-olympus-em1-top-s.JPG
    1433404121-afterRAWOl-o.
    The E-M10 Mk II really has taken on a lot of design layout from the E-M1 to my mind.
    markiib.

12. jaclu

jaclu Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2014
    What about the fn button on the far left, how are you supposed to reach it whilst shooting?

13. Ross the fiddler

That would be the same function as the E-M5 II that is by default EVF/Live View button ( but also Fn button) & that doesn't need to be on the right.

14. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I was just going to ask if there would be a mk2 for this so I could best estimate when the current em10 prices would go down. Looks nice, I like how the on off switch sort of looks like a film rewind crank from the low res top view. I do agree the FN button on that side would make it a bit difficult.

15. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I agree. Seems to be loosing that retro look. Not at all clean looking like the previous camera's in this series. They could have just stuck the On-Off switch under the existing Mode selection dial and been done with it.

16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The eye cup on the M10II is the same as the M5II; maybe it has the same EVF as the M1 and new M5.

The new location of the rear control dial looks like it's not as good as the old one. Maybe, just maybe, Olympus will have a somewhat standard control placement for the rear controls: the review button wanders around from camera to camera.

What ever happened to manufacturing a camera and then sticking with it for 5 years? (The Pentax K-1000 was manufactured from 1976 – 1997.)

Those were highly evolved mechanical devices with very little in the way of new breakthroughs in enabling technology. (The first generation of K mount Pentaxes were little more than Spotmatics with a bayonet mount, and there were a large number of common parts between them.) Digital cameras are fundamentally complex electronic devices and follow Moore's Law. The underlying enabling technology makes significant advances every 18 months. A company either keeps up, or drops out. Pentax went from a major camera maker up until the early 70's, couldn't keep up and dropped into the Other group of camera makers by the end of the 80's, and has been sold twice since then.

17. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    It was rumored about a month ago tho https://www.mu-43.com/threads/77922/

Sadly I think those days are gone. Weren't there different iterations of the K1000. I had the SE. There is so much tech that goes into electronics nowadays, it moves so fast. Tho I think Olympus' upgrades are so incremental, one wouldnt 'need' to upgrade.

I held off buying the first EM10 cause my current camera was adequate. Hope the mkII has better ibis, silent electronic shutter, faster max shutter speed and flash sync and maybe the new rumored interface...

18. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I understand what you are saying but do not necessarily agree that there are “significant advances every 18 months”. Most are relatively minor and incremental releases of technology that may or may not result in a better image which of course is the ultimate goal. I agree that there are laws in effect but they are called the “law of planned obsolescence” which to the chagrin of most manufactures I choose not to support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

As I have noted on other photography forums, I believe there is a market for a stripped down simple digital camera not requiring a lot of menu hunting based on a retro type frame such as an Olympus E-M5 or Fuji T-1 but minus all the extraneous creative and enhancement features and simple in operation like that Pentax K-1000 was during the film era. In fact this idea came about during conversations and as suggestions from two different college level instructors of photography one of whom I met in a second hand store as he was purchasing a K-1000. I find it interesting that in this day of more is gooder, Leica would come out with a monochrom only camera.

19. jaclu

jaclu Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2014
    Confused i have em5ii looking at it now, no leftside button on mine...
    The em1 does indead have view mode togge button, but on the left backside

20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Unless there are some significant new features, this looks to me like a "we want to charge more for the Em10 than we are currently getting now" and the only good thing that would result is a brief period of even-lower blowout prices on EM10 v1 bodies...