1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 Mk II 5 Axis Sync?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcovers, Feb 25, 2016.

1. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    The 1.2 firmware upgrade for the e-M10 Mk ii says:

- Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS.
    - You can get the effects of rolling stabilization from the IS function of the body, along with the effects of image stabilization from the IS function of the lens.

Does the second bullet mean that the version upgrade makes possible that the IS from the Lens will work with the IS of the camera? If so, wouldn't that be IS Sync?

I wish there was more info on what this update does in terms of lens IS to body IS.

2. Safetytrousers

Safetytrousers Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2015
    UK
    It is the 1.1 update.
    ''Compatible with Olympus lens with a built-in image stabilizing function.
    The camera body recognizes the IS built into the lens, allowing for optimal image stabilizing effects.*
    You can get the effects of rolling stabilization from the IS function of the body, along with the effects of image stabilization from the IS function of the lens.
    Compatible with Windows 10.
    * Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS.''
    Downloads - Olympus

'Compatible with Olympus lens with a built-in image stabilizing function'.

They could be a bit more explicit about what it does.
    I don't know what Olympus lenses have built-in image stabilizing but I don't have any.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  3. HalPAnderson

HalPAnderson Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    That, sadly, could be said for much of the contents of Olympus's camera manuals.

4. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    But if they were more explicit, there would be little reason for boards like this. :)

5. MetilHed

MetilHed Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    Jeff
    That would specifically be the 300mm f4 PRO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    So after connecting the 300mm to both an e-M5 Mk ii, with which it shares 5 axis Sync, and then with my e-M10 Mk ii, that has 5 axis but apparently not officially the 5 axis Sync...I can attest that the stabilization appears identical on both bodies. When I attach the lens to the eM10 mk ii, with lens IS off, it behaves like you expect 5 axis to behave, very good. But then when I turn on the lens IS, there is a definite added element to the stabilization that makes it behave just like the 300mm on the eM5 Mk ii.

So, is it officially/technically 5 axis sync when attached to the eM10 mk ii? I guess not. However, it sure seems to behave, from a stabilization perspective, jut like like the lens mated to the eM5 mk ii. The only difference I notice is that, when the lens is attached to the eM5 mk ii, the on off IS switch on the lens is what controls the on off stabilization on the lens and camera. That is to say, when the lens stabilization is off, so is the body stabilization. And when attached to the eM10 mk ii, the body stabilization stays on, with or without the lens IS being on.

7. Safetytrousers

Safetytrousers Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2015
    UK
    I see, so this is all about the 300mm f4 PRO. Thanks for illuminating that.
    I guess the way Olympus have worded it means they haven't ruled out releasing more lenses with built-in image stabilizing.