E-M10 Mark IV Silent Mode

Real Name
Cata
Playing around for one day with my newly acquired EM10iv I have discovered that the Silent Mode is not actually completely silent. One can still hear a sound when the shutter is pressed and the picture is taken. My EM1.3 is DEAD silent in Silent Mode. And here comes the real strange thing: the Silent Mode chosen from the AP (Advanced Photo) mode is DEAD silent. But in this latter situation you're stuck in P mode.

Now the question is: am I mad or they (Oly) are nuts!?! It absolutely escape my understanding why would they do this (really thinking now to return the camera for this very reason - this was the reason I opted for mark iv as opposite to mark iii which is a lot cheaper SH).

Real Name
Cata
Does anyone know if the silent mode on EM10ii is really silent? I start thinking into returning the mark iv and buy a used mark ii only for that reason. This silent mode was the reason I choose the EM10iv over my old EM5.

Snapshooter

Mu-43 Regular
My E-M1 (mark 1) makes a sound on silent shutter mode. It is definitely not totally silent, but it’s subtle. I haven’t tested this, but I would guess the sound is sometimes not audible if there is some background noise in the environment. I imagine it is similar to what you describe with your camera.

bkspero

Mu-43 Rookie
Any chance that the subtle sound you hear in silent mode is the lens iris closing and reopening? I just did a test with my 10ii first with the aperture stopped down (a 20mm PL f1.7 at f8) and it made a noise that sounded to me like the iris stopping down from the wide open normal position to its narrowed shooting position, and then back to wide open. I then took another photo with the aperture set to f1.7 (wide open) and it was completely silent (I presume because the iris remained wide open throughout the process).

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I'm going to second it being the iris. When running my E-M1 in silent mode, the lens makes a soft pfft when taking photos. Also, when AF'ing in very bright light, the iris will open and close to assist the focusing program. Same sound. I get the same "pfft" on my E-M1mk3 when in silent mode, but it doesn't seem to cycle the aperture around while focusing in bright light.

Real Name
Cata
Thanks guys for your replies.!

It looks like the "main" sound is from the iris (aperture blades) closing and reopening when using the lens at any aperture except wide open as @bkspero has mentioned. There is still a very "soft" "pfff" sound even when no lens is mounted, so only with the body cap on as per @fortwodriver above. And there is the iris sound mentioned the @fortwodriver above when shooting in bright light, even if the lens is wide open.

So, to summarize:
- only "pfff" with the lens cap on/no lens attached (both on EM10iv and EM1.3).
- only "pfff" with the lens wide open (say 20/1.7) and shooting in "normal/dark" conditions.
- "pfff" + "iris sound" when shooting at wide aperture but in bright light conditions
- "pfff" + "iris sound" with the lens stopped down (any aperture except the wide open one)

I have seen recently a video with a guy shooting a classical music recording session (a quartet, if I remember correctly) with Olympus m43 and praising the Silent Mode, but based on my findings, I am not so sure anymore one can use such a combo (say EM1.3 + 7-14/2.8 or 12-40/2.8) in such a situation given it's not DEAD silent. I know that even Robin Wong has such a video about himself doing a photo session during a recording session. Hmmmm. That soft "pfff" is there for sure, no matter what.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Some of what you describe actually sounds more like Electronic First Curtain mode... Are you set to the "Square Heart" or "Square Diamond" icon on the SCP for silent shooting?

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There is definitely no "pfff" sound when using silent mode on my Panasonic G80 and my GX80. Used both for photographing a classical concert. The audio guy who was recording the concert was afraid at first that I would ruin his audio with the repeating sound of a flapping mirror. After the concert was finished, he came up to me and said "your camera doesn't make sound at all!". Welcome to mirrorless technology. :)

Just to be sure, I tested it again for you just now. Definitely no sound at all while taking a picture. The only things I can hear while using silent mode are:
  • The focus motor in the lens, while acquiring focus. (Very softly, but this may depend on the lens.)
  • A slight whirring sound from the image stabiliser while half-pressing the shutter. After turning off IBIS, this sound is gone too. (Not that anyone would hear it, but just in case you really want to eliminate all sources of sound...)
  • The lens iris closing and reopening (as others said; only when not shooting wide open).
I don't have any Olympus cameras around to test those for you, sorry.

Last edited:
Real Name
Cata
Some of what you describe actually sounds more like Electronic First Curtain mode... Are you set to the "Square Heart" or "Square Diamond" icon on the SCP for silent shooting?
It's a heart, as it says Silent next to it.

The "pfff" sound is there on both EM1.3 and EM10iv even without a lens attached. If I half press the shutter I hear nothing, but as soon as I fully press it I can hear that "pfff". On both cameras is the same. If I attach a lens I can hear the lens' AF motor working, but it's a different sound.

Real Name
Cata
There is definitely no "pfff" sound when using silent mode on my Panasonic G80 and my GX80. Used both for photographing a classical concert. The audio guy who was recording the concert was afraid at first that I would ruin his audio with the repeating sound of a flapping mirror. After the concert was finished, he came up to me and said "your camera doesn't make sound at all!". Welcome to mirrorless technology. :)

Just to be sure, I tested it again for you just now. Definitely no sound at all while taking a picture. The only things I can hear while using silent mode are:
  • The focus motor in the lens, while acquiring focus. (Very softly, but this may depend on the lens.)
  • A slight whirring sound from the image stabiliser while half-pressing the shutter. After turning off IBIS, this sound is gone too. (Not that anyone would hear it, but just in case you really want to eliminate all sources of sound...)
  • The lens iris closing and reopening (as others said; only when not shooting wide open).
I don't have any Olympus cameras around to test those for you, sorry.
Thanks for doing it for me. I have just sold my GX9 otherwise I have had it tested as well. It's curious I have never noticed this "pfffff" sound before playing with the EM10iv (I mean on my EM1.3).

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Set your camera to continuous low-silent. Does it make that noise for each photo or just the first?

It could be the IBIS doing something before the shot is taken. There's really only three mechanical items in the camera body that can make a sound:
1) IBIS
2) Shutter Curtain(s)
3) SWF

Also, even if you set your aperture wide open for the shot, the AF system will still decide if it needs to stop down during AF to assist. It was more noticeable on my older E-M1, but the mk3 seems to do it sometimes, too.

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if there's some sort of mechanism in the camera we're not accounting for.

Snapshooter

Mu-43 Regular
The sound I mentioned in my earlier post is totally the lens iris stopping down. I hadn’t really considered it until after thinking about this forum thread, but I shot some frames wide open today, and the silent shutter was totally quiet. Then I stopped down a bit with a smaller aperture, and I heard the sound I had mentioned earlier.

Real Name
Cata
Set your camera to continuous low-silent. Does it make that noise for each photo or just the first?

It could be the IBIS doing something before the shot is taken. There's really only three mechanical items in the camera body that can make a sound:
1) IBIS
2) Shutter Curtain(s)
3) SWF

Also, even if you set your aperture wide open for the shot, the AF system will still decide if it needs to stop down during AF to assist. It was more noticeable on my older E-M1, but the mk3 seems to do it sometimes, too.

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if there's some sort of mechanism in the camera we're not accounting for.

In continuous low-silent I hear the "pfff" for each exposure. Yes, it is there.

With the IBIS off I still hear the "pfff".

SWF - not sure what is this.

All the above are true for both EM1.3 and EM10iv.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
IBIS off doesn't turn IBIS off, it just tells it to lock into the center position when taking an image, hence the noise even with it off.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom