E-M10 Mark IV first photos and specs

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The more I learn about the 10.4 the more I see intentional product differentiation to the 5.3. And with the 5.3 there are some intentional omissions vs the E-M1 line.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. From a business perspective the 10.2 was just too close to the 1.1 when launched. But if I were back in the market for a small companion to my E-M1 (or the 1X) I would probably look to the E-M5 line myself now.

However, I’m probably not the target customer and I think the 10.4 gets a lot right for the intended market. The question is whether that market still exists in sufficient numbers and whether the sales pitches (in bricks and mortar stores or from online ‘influencers’) will point people to the 10.4 or the more familiar Canon/Nikon/Sony (or Fuji?) offerings.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The prices in the U.K. body only, are EM1x £1800.
Em1 mk 3 £1600. Em5 mk 3 £921. Em10 mk4 £799. A strange pricing structure, I guess the new Em10 will drop.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Em1 mk 3 £1600. Em5 mk 3 £921. Em10 mk4 £799. A strange pricing structure, I guess the new Em10 will drop.
The two that seem strangest presumably are the E-M1.3 and the E-M10.4. They are both still a fair bit newer than the other two so perhaps that accounts for it?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
The two that seem strangest presumably are the E-M1.3 and the E-M10.4. They are both still a fair bit newer than the other two so perhaps that accounts for it?
Also if you take the unusually low prices out of the equation (especially Amazon) you have:
  • E-M1X £1,900
-£300 to...
  • E-M1 Mark III £1,600
-£550 to...
  • E-M5 Mark III £1,050
-£250 (or £350 accounting for the included lens) to...
  • E-M10 Mark IV £799 (with 14-42mm EZ so say £699)
On that basis I’d have to agree with @billca that the E-M5 Mark III looks like the best value.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In Finland it is for body only E-M10 IV for 700 € and E-M5 III for 1100 €. Even for this money I would buy the E-M5 model. At least you get some custom modes.

Still very happy with my buy of new E-M10 II for 300 €. This current and earlier dumbed down version is just silly, the MySets are essential in a camera even for a novice imo. But I understand the need for dropping them in a budget model.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
The E-M5.3 went from $1200 down to $1000 only 2 months after its introduction (at least, i think it was 2). I remember it this way because I waited 1 month (just waiting for problem reports, etc, but not expecting any price change) and then bought it. 3 weeks after I bought it, it went down $200. Grrrr! I knew I would get screwed eventually when I paid full intro price for it, but not so fast. Just annoying...

Sooo, I expect the E-M10.4 to do the same, although perhaps not quite as fast.

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
The 5iii has so much more going for it and is definitely worth the 30% premium. Even the size and weight is almost the same now.
Yeah I agree. The 5iii is the camera I had made my mind up to get. Then the tripod socket thing started, I haven't heard much about that problem lately so I'm back on getting the 5iii.
Just finished converting a tripod collar for a sigma 70-200 to fit the pany 100-300, so my biggest stress point for a tripod socket has been eliminated.

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah I agree. The 5iii is the camera I had made my mind up to get. Then the tripod socket thing started, I haven't heard much about that problem lately so I'm back on getting the 5iii.
Just finished converting a tripod collar for a sigma 70-200 to fit the pany 100-300, so my biggest stress point for a tripod socket has been eliminated.
I think the problems were just from people who used some special straps that let the camera hang on the tripod collar and in that way put way too much strain there. Also I have a faint memory someone saying that Olympus warned against such straps in their manual.

Was there any problems even with heavier lenses on a tripod with the E-M5 III socket?

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
I think the problems were just from people who used some special straps that let the camera hang on the tripod collar and in that way put way too much strain there. Also I have a faint memory someone saying that Olympus warned against such straps in their manual.

Was there any problems even with heavier lenses on a tripod with the E-M5 III socket?
Yeah, PD standered plate. I have one permanently attached to my 10ii, but don't carry it from the plate. Great little AS plate that doesn't get in the way of anything on small cameras.
At least one person said they didn't use the plate, just the 60mm micro lens and it failed.
There seems to be some evidence that it might not be as strong as it could be.
Olympus also sells this. https://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/accessories/camera/full-beard-black-leather-crossbody-strap.html

Last edited:

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
To me it feels like the problem is EM1x, they dropped the ball with that one and that is compressing the lineup too much. Sony hasthe workhorse body around 2k and the flagships at crazy high prices. Oly cannot afford that, squeezing the em1 down.

em10 will need to be repositioned soon. People into the system will buy em5.3, potential new buyers will just skip it and buy sony/fuji Around the usual 500€ with kit lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom