E-M10 Mark IV first photos and specs

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
DPR really claims that Olympus did essentially copy-paste the M5.3 processor and sensor into M10.4. If this is true, sensor is exactly the same as in all late Olympus cameras and supports hybrid AF so with any luck a later FW update might add that feature to M10.4 as well.

So far I have seen nothing from Olympus that indicates this camera has a sensor with any built in PDAF points. I can not imagine Oly would add a PDAF capable sensor and then disable that feature. Oly hasn't been shy of adding more advanced features to newer "lower" models that are better than an older "higher in the line up" exiting model.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
instead of introducing the 10iv they should just produce more 5iii pieces along a selectable “beginner” firmware mode at a lower price point - bulk would make up the lower price tag and they would introduce more people directly into the advanced segment shouldering through the competition crowd - then, weather sealing would compel buying higher margin sealed lenses and next step up would be a pro body or just get more pro lenses, hence higher margins - as is, the 10iv may not make it to lure new users into the system vs the competition and the 5iii price is too high for many people like me looking to move higher than their 10ii/iii

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've never understood why Olympus creates these arbitrary focus points. On a Panasonic you can move around the focus points completely freely. It makes more sense with the PDAF cameras, but Olympus sticks to this system for all cameras.
Using the touch screen, you can use arbitrary focus points. Back before the touch screen interface, it was likely simpler to have a fixed number of focus points so that you could use the arrow keys to select the focus point.

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
From the DPR report it appears that there is no minimum shutter speed setting for Auto-ISO. Instead the flash "slow limit" setting has to be used to force a minimum shutter speed for Auto-ISO. I use this technique on my E-PL7, and it works, but it's a kludge and it doesn't allow me to set a shutter speed faster than 1/250 second, which for street photography is often not fast enough. It's unfortunate that Olympus chose not to include a feature that's on their other new cameras.

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
From the DPR report it appears that there is no minimum shutter speed setting for Auto-ISO. Instead the flash "slow limit" setting has to be used to force a minimum shutter speed for Auto-ISO. I use this technique on my E-PL7, and it works, but it's a kludge and it doesn't allow me to set a shutter speed faster than 1/250 second, which for street photography is often not fast enough. It's unfortunate that Olympus chose not to include a feature that's on their other new cameras.

The only customizations you can apply are for the AE/AF Lock, video record and digital teleconverter buttons, and even then, there aren't many choices available.

From same article. Seems to be that record button is reconfigurable now. No idea what they mean with that there are not many choices available. Still haven't found a review that would mention if silent mode is available in PASM, or if settings now save in ap modes.

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
From same article. Seems to be that record button is reconfigurable now. No idea what they mean with that there are not many choices available. Still haven't found a review that would mention if silent mode is available in PASM, or if settings now save in ap modes.
This guy says silent shutter available in PASM modes, around 10.50

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Seems to be that record button is reconfigurable now.

It’s been configurable at least as far back as the E-PL5. I have it configured for AEL/AFL on my E-PL7 and Pen-F (it still works for recording video when the mode dial is set to Movie). I see there’s a AEL/AFL button on the E-M10iv, so I could use the Rec button for something else.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
It’s been configurable at least as far back as the E-PL5. I have it configured for AEL/AFL on my E-PL7 and Pen-F (it still works for recording video when the mode dial is set to Movie). I see there’s a AEL/AFL button on the E-M10iv, so I could use the Rec button for something else.
The point being made is that it wasn’t configurable on the Mark III. Much to the disappointment of Mark II (or previous) owners.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Seems to be that record button is reconfigurable now. No idea what they mean with that there are not many choices available.
From the above manual, 3 buttons (AEL/AFL, 2x digital teleconverter, and Rec) are customisable and the available options are:
  • AEL/AFL
  • Rec
  • DoF preview
  • One-touch WB
  • AF area select
  • MF
  • Exposure compensation
  • 2x digital teleconverter
  • Magnify
  • Peaking
  • Enable/disable touch screen
Still haven't found a review that would mention if silent mode is available in PASM
It is (p78 of the manual)
or if settings now save in ap modes.
Couldn’t establish the answer to that from a quick look at the manual. May need hands on reviews to confirm.

Last edited:

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
The point being made is that it wasn’t configurable on the Mark III.
Ah, good point, I had forgotten about the dumbed-down Mark iii. I think of the Mark iv as the direct successor to the Mark ii, and the Mark iii is just an unfortunate aberration in Olympus' product line.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Ah, good point, I had forgotten about the dumbed-down Mark iii. I think of the Mark iv as the direct successor to the Mark ii, and the Mark iii is just an unfortunate aberration in Olympus' product line.
A misstep on the route to some necessary, from a business perspective, product differentiation.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Panasonic CDAF has a bad reputation but that's because it has a mind of it's own and usually decides to focus on random places around the scenery but boy, does it focus fast and spot on to those too.

It's a camera, not a mind-reading device. If you use the wide/multi area AF, it doesn't really know what you want to focus on. If you use the single area AF or the pinpoint AF mode, it would always focus exactly where you want it. :)

This applies to any camera from any maker, really.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
From the above manual, 3 buttons (AEL/AFL, 2x digital teleconverter, and Rec) are customisable and the available options are:
  • AEL/AFL
  • Rec
  • DoF preview
  • One-touch WB
  • AF area select
  • MF
  • Exposure compensation
  • 2x digital teleconverter
  • Magnify
  • Peaking
  • Enable/disable touch screen

It is (p78 of the manual)

Couldn’t establish the answer to that from a quick look at the manual. May need hands on reviews to confirm.
@S-Osolin Robin has confirmed (in his YT comments) that unfortunately the settings do reset each time you switch AP mode.

ThereAndBackAgain

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
David
No, Olympus is now going for cardboard, painted silver, for the E-M10, to differentiate it from the higher-class E-M5. :hiding:
My E-M5 mkll has severe rub marks, especially on the "pentaprism bulge". It still works well and I intend to sell it soon but should I advertise it at a low price to reflect the wear or increase the reserve to reflect the fact that the purchaser will gain instant kudos?

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
He is mainly in love witht he grip on the E-M10.4, I think. It does look pretty good, and perhaps somewhat better than on the E-M5.3. I really like the grip on my E-M5.3 (as compared to the one on my old E-M10.2), but that new grip does look very good. (but, um, I'm keeping the E-M5.3! :) )

Latest threads

Top Bottom