E-M10 Mark IV first photos and specs

Driehoek

New to Mu-43
With software, I wish they had two firmware options.
Version A for the newbies, IOW simple.
Version B for the enthusiasts, with the features like in the mk2, that they took out of the mk3.
Two firmware options? Very Good idea! But why not more? Choose inside the menu for easy, enthousiast/pro?....and f.i. focusstacking for all lenses ( I love my hack for the EM1...) Come'on Olympus stop the 'endless' mark i, ii, iii, iiii.....system; end with mark ii....and start ...
Mayebe an all New type 'rangefinderlike'; see the GX8 and 'pass' Panasonic with 'phase detection' or is their 'near-far' focussystem in the G9 better? Update 'continuously' firmware ( remember the 4.0 update of the EM1) .
I ask myself a question why I use my konica-minolta A1/2 with allmost all 'menubuttons' outside....with so much pleasure still...

Noeppel

New to Mu-43
I don't know the ins and outs of all this stuff, but I think a manufacturer can deliberately disable certain functions (like say the number of focus points) of a sensor. For example, I believe that my Canon SL2 has the same sensor as my 80D, but the SL2 has a ludicrous 9 focus ponts vs the 80D's much higher (forget what). Also, same for PDAF, I should think - they disable it for a lower-level camera, right?
The PDAF sensor is an extra element and is used when the mirror is down. In mirrorless cameras the PDAF is built into the image sensor so it's probably not just disabled.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Two firmware options? Very Good idea! But why not more? Choose inside the menu for easy, enthousiast/pro?....and f.i. focusstacking for all lenses ( I love my hack for the EM1...) Come'on Olympus stop the 'endless' mark i, ii, iii, iiii.....system; end with mark ii....and start ...
Mayebe an all New type 'rangefinderlike'; see the GX8 and 'pass' Panasonic with 'phase detection' or is their 'near-far' focussystem in the G9 better? Update 'continuously' firmware ( remember the 4.0 update of the EM1) .
I ask myself a question why I use my konica-minolta A1/2 with allmost all 'menubuttons' outside....with so much pleasure still...
That would be ideal.
My concern was if they had enough memory to do that.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
SRS have listed it at £799 with the 14-42mm. Feels a bit on the high side, but then the 100-400mm lens is £1,099 so perhaps what Olympus takes with one hand it gives with the other.

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Does anyone know if any of these annoyances of E-M10 Mark III were already addressed in any review of E-M10 Mark IV?

— Do we get argb jpeg in advanced photo modes?
— Is it possible to use silent shutter outside of advance photo modes, like in PASM?
— Same for exposure stacking and focus stacking.
— How many buttons are remapable?
— Are settings still reset every time you change a mode in advanced photo? (biggest one for me)

Last edited:

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
Does anyone know if any of these annoyances of E-M10 Mark III were already addressed in any review?

— Do we get argb jpeg in advanced photo modes?
— Is it possible to use silent shutter outside of advance photo modes, like in PASM?
— Same for exposure stacking and focus stacking.
— How many buttons are remapable?
— Are settings still reset every time you change a mode in advanced photo? (biggest one for me)
Comparing specs on the site the 10iv seems more like the 10ii, but can't be sure of anything without a manual or review.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Tbh, my recommendation is to fork out the extra dollars for the already crazy light and small 5iii. Enjoy weathersealing and pdaf.

amit

Mu-43 Regular
Tbh, my recommendation is to fork out the extra dollars for the already crazy light and small 5iii. Enjoy weathersealing and pdaf.
Can you please explain why PDAF is better and how better?
Ive seen a video stating the new em10iv shares the c-af system of the em1x .

Im a beginner with em10 ii , the perfect camera for me except for some focusing and noise issues .

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
And guess which website added this line in their Key EM10 IV takeaways...
  • "The E-M10 IV's 20MP sensor has reasonably low noise levels, though the larger sensors on its peers will have an advantage"

I am happy for Olympus owners having one more choice to choose from.

Here my personal opinion on the new camera... Take into account I do respect what Olympus did turning around their image business and prepping for the future before they decided to drop it all and run...

• I think the EM1X, the EM1 III, and the EM5 III make perfect sense. Now that we see the EM10 IV it's NOT clear why they used plastic for the EM5 III body?
  • Thinking of what Sony & Panasonic is doing with dedicated vlogging cameras, I think Olympus was fast asleep with the EPL10 and the EM10 IV - were they buying running shoes...
  • The 12-45mm f4 and the new 100-400mm lenses are well done Olympus...

Back to the EM10 IV, it's a little difficult to really find the reason for having it. It does not fit into the PRO banner with higher margins. The only benefit is it should protect the EM5 III and the EM1 III pricing by creating a perceived lowest price level... Again why the plastic EM5 III body and no battery grip? This repositioned the EM5 range - makes no sense...

My final thought... This is the strangest "let's close the imaging business and run" exercise I have ever seen... in fact it's scary, are they toying with their customers or are they prepping for the transition to Panasonic or Sony?...

But WOW yippee, thank you Oly, we have a new toy...

Best

Last edited:

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not sure if you have been watching DPR video but they indeed claim that M10.4 is sharing CAF algorithms developed for M1X. M1X has dual TruePic VIII processors and according to DPR M10.4 has only one so CDAF performance will not be the same. M1X is using hybrid AF which should be faster than CDAF alone in any case so don't expect M1X AF performance from M10.4

PDAF is "better" in a sense that it instantly knows which way to turn the focus and this should make it faster in theory. In practise it's all about the implementation. Badly designed and cheaply implemented PDAF is slow, inaccurate and keeps hunting whereas best CDAF systems (aka Panasonic) can be instant and spot on.

Panasonic CDAF has a bad reputation but that's because it has a mind of it's own and usually decides to focus on random places around the scenery but boy, does it focus fast and spot on to those too.

DPR really claims that Olympus did essentially copy-paste the M5.3 processor and sensor into M10.4. If this is true, sensor is exactly the same as in all late Olympus cameras and supports hybrid AF so with any luck a later FW update might add that feature to M10.4 as well. In that case, M10.4 is a real bargain in Olympus lineup assuming that the leaked Amazon $699 price tag is valid.

" The E-M10 IV has inherited what is likely the same 20MP Four Thirds sensor and TruePic VIII processor as the E-M5 Mark III. "

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-iv-initial-review/2

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm interested although it's a tad expensive for my liking. But most of what was removed from the mk III compared to the mk II has been reinstated, especially the silent shutter in all PASM modes. And now it's the last flip screen body from Olympus which I've always preferred for stills against the articulated screen which is only useful for video. On paper it looks like the perfect street machine.

WT21

Super Moderator
Panasonic CDAF has a bad reputation but that's because it has a mind of it's own and usually decides to focus on random places around the scenery but boy, does it focus fast and spot on to those too.
I am not familiar with this, having shot the last 4 years with GX85 and G85, the S-AF on a Panny is fine, though because it is CDAF, I use a specific point, which is super easy to move around. I find the S-AF to actually be faster than Oly.

What Panny lacks is PDAF for C-AF, but even then with some careful focusing, I've used my G85 for nice actions shots of my kids cross-country meets. Single point AF (or tightly grouped AF) with a long lens and Pannys' very fast AF works just fine. (mostly using the P40-150 or 12-60).

Last edited:

WT21

Super Moderator

Im a beginner with em10 ii , the perfect camera for me except for some focusing and noise issues .
A good PDAF can track action better than contrast detect. Phase-detect can understand the distance to the subject, and tells the lens to go to that distance. Contrast detect looks at the image under the focus point (or points) and racks the lens to find the best point of highest contrast (which should means it's in focus).

Sometimes, though, phase detect can get it slightly wrong. So while MOSTLY in focus, it might be slightly off (for a number of possible reasons). Contrast detect should get it MUCH more accurate, but because it doesn't understand distance, it sees the image as flat and might e.g. focus on something behind your intended target if it's brighter and more contrasty within the focus target area, so choosing your focus point becomes critical if you only have contrast detect.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm interested although it's a tad expensive for my liking. But most of what was removed from the mk III compared to the mk II has been reinstated, especially the silent shutter in all PASM modes. And now it's the last flip screen body from Olympus which I've always preferred for stills against the articulated screen which is only useful for video. On paper it looks like the perfect street machine.
It seems about $100 too high to me, but that will likely melt away after the launch. I think Oly has one too many cameras between the 1, 5 and 10, especially with 10-4 being more like the 10-2 and more attractive to enthusiasts.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom